cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need a light switch

AUwing2
Explorer
Explorer
I want to add LED strips to light up a closet but there's no existing light or light switch that I can tie into. I have power, just wrestling to find a switch. There's no place to mount a wall switch so I was thinking some sort of door switch would do the trick. Now if I could just find a switch . . . Any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

AUwing2
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Another solution is that Southco makes a cabinet latch with a built-in microswitch that they call the "grabber".

That's a neat solution - thanks. I had planned on using magnetic switches but once I had them in hand, figuring out how to mount them so they worked and looked good stopped me. The prox switches seemed like the answer but I wasn't sure if the connectors could be cut off leaving wires to splice.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your budget, this is a cool option too:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/installation-power/intelligent-pir-motion-sensor-switch/969...
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
I use battery operated LED light strips in every cubby hole and cabinet that I need an occasional light. Just stick on and the batteries last a very long time due to infrequent usage.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Another solution is that Southco makes a cabinet latch with a built-in microswitch that they call the "grabber". I just installed one on our pantry door for LED lighting I installed inside. These catches come in 3, 5 & 10 lb. rating - the 10 lb is what I bought and is too strong - 5 lbs would be better.

Southco also makes them without a microswitch and are an excellent upgrade for the standard flimsy roller catches that are commonplace in RVs (which don't always work that well). These latches, less microswitch, are also available from RV Designer and JR Products.

How cool is that! I'll have to remember those when the day comes that my roller catch latches give up the ghost.

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I know you said there's no place for a wall switch.

If you have trim around the closet doors this might work.

I cut a square hole in the door trim and inserted a 12 volt automotive rocker switch with indicator light.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another solution is that Southco makes a cabinet latch with a built-in microswitch that they call the "grabber". I just installed one on our pantry door for LED lighting I installed inside. These catches come in 3, 5 & 10 lb. rating - the 10 lb is what I bought and is too strong - 5 lbs would be better.

Southco also makes them without a microswitch and are an excellent upgrade for the standard flimsy roller catches that are commonplace in RVs (which don't always work that well). These latches, less microswitch, are also available from RV Designer and JR Products.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You can also use one of these

proximity switch.
-- Chris Bryant

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
AUwing:

I'm using these to light my cabinets and closet. Snap action microswitch with a roller arm.

http://www.mpja.com/SPDT-Snap-Switch-with-Roller-4A/productinfo/16314+SW

There's 3 terminals labeled COM, NO and NC... NO = normally open, will be closed when the switch is pressed in. NC = normally closed, will be open when the switch is pressed in. COMmon is the other side of the switch.

4-amp rated contacts is good for ~40 watts of LEDs.

that is how I did the closet LED light on my trailer.. mounted it to top of door jam. door itself moves the little arm on switch.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
AUwing:

I'm using these to light my cabinets and closet. Snap action microswitch with a roller arm.

http://www.mpja.com/SPDT-Snap-Switch-with-Roller-4A/productinfo/16314+SW

There's 3 terminals labeled COM, NO and NC... NO = normally open, will be closed when the switch is pressed in. NC = normally closed, will be open when the switch is pressed in. COMmon is the other side of the switch.

4-amp rated contacts is good for ~40 watts of LEDs.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not sure what you mean by 'door switch'. How about a surface mount switch: Amazon

Ah now I see, maybe some sort of micro switch: Link 2
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Mmwtdh
Explorer
Explorer
I added lights inside all of my cabinets in the kitchen area. I purchased magnetic switches that are used on windows for security systems.

I added a relay because initially I was still using regular 12 v bulbs, but you may be able to wire directly with lower amperage LED...