cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help me pick a stabilization system

Re_and_Cheryl
Explorer
Explorer
Well the wife wants me to do something about the amount of movement out new 36' Coachmen has. Our old Prowler had a lot too, but she didn't want to put money into that as we knew it was a temporary step when we bought it.

I've been doing some research and most say kingpin supports do little to nothing and suck up storage room. The leading stabilization units I have found are the JT strong arm and the Steady Fast system. Both seem to accomplish stabilization the same way but the Steady Fast only braces on one front and one rear jack, it's also more expensive.

Looking for your thoughts and/or experiences

Re'
2005 Chevy 2500 4X4 Duramax
2001 Fleetwood Prowler 305LT (sold)
2013 Coachmen Chaperral 328rts
31 REPLIES 31

Dutch___Di
Explorer
Explorer
Just about all aftermarket stabilizer systems will work to help eliminate movement. We have been extremely happy with our stabilizers for 7 years. We added the Big Foot leveling system in 2010 and while it did help some with movement, it didn't take long but a quick walk through our 5th wheel for us to put our stabilizers back on. We are nice and stable all the the time on grass, gravel or concrete and unless there is a gust of wind that hits directly at the side of our Carriage, I don't even realize how windy it is until I step outside. Diana
2015 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover, DeBoe Slide Step, AMP Side Steps.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the Winfield RV stabilizers. 10 minute install and work great!
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
pcm1959 wrote:
We have the 4 point Quadra Big Foot hydraulic leveling system on our Carriage Cameo. I went with the Steadyfast due to the simplicity and only 3 knobs to turn. It is awesome! Love it and our coach is virtually motionless now - even with the tires off the ground. You will not regret your purchase. Phillip

We have the Lippert 6 Point hydraulic leveling system on our Montana and have not had to add anything. Solid as a rock! No bouncing tires either.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

Re_and_Cheryl
Explorer
Explorer
big bird 2 wrote:
I never had a stabilization problem with my backpacking tent!

Your tent never had air conditioning and a queen size bed

Re'
2005 Chevy 2500 4X4 Duramax
2001 Fleetwood Prowler 305LT (sold)
2013 Coachmen Chaperral 328rts

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
wandering1 wrote:
When someone is walking around inside the 5er it will bounce/wiggle. Rubber tires will bounce, suspension systems are made to bounce. To eliminate the bouncing/wiggling you need to keep the weight from pushing down on the tires and suspension by making sure your stabilizers are tight between the 5er and the ground. Donโ€™t just let them out far enough to touch the ground, turn the crank more to make sure they are tight so they will not allow the 5er to push down on the tires. Use a bipod/tripod under the king pin. Make sure it is tight between the ground and the king pin, donโ€™t just adjust it till it touches, tighten it so the front overhang will not move. Make sure to check the stabilizers and bipod/tripod every couple of days because they will loosen up over time.

Doesnโ€™t make sense spending a lot of money on landing jack stabilizers when the landing jacks are stable and donโ€™t bounce up and down. If you have properly adjusted the stabilizers and bipod/tripod then you shouldnโ€™t have any bouncing/wiggling. This has worked for me over the past 15 years.

Chocks are to keep the 5er from rolling forward or backwards. They do not eliminate the weight of the 5er from pushing down and causing the bouncing/wiggling. If you park on a site that has a incline/decline then you probably want to use chocks to keep your 5er from rolling when you unhitch.

There are a lot of other options out there to โ€œeliminateโ€ the bouncing/wiggling if you have the extra money and want to spend it.

I agree completely that tires and suspension flex will make things bounce, but if you read the instructions for 5ers, you're not supposed to try lifting the trailer off the ground with your jacks or stabilizers. I also agree completely that spending as much as we do for one of these things SHOULD mean we don't have to fix them right away!

I will try unloading the suspension by finding out where level is, letting the front down a bit, putting the stabilizers down to the ground, then leveling by lifting with the landing jacks. Don't lift the unit off the ground, but do take weight off the axles. Still use chocks and wedges, but there is also still some movement after everything's done. That's why I'm going to have to add a Steadyrest system next year.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
netjam wrote:
Unlike previous posters I have JTs (factory installed) and don't like them. I have stopped using them and have purchased 4 screw jacks from Camping World for $40. They are kind of like auto jack stands that you tighten up between the ground and the frame. Works great (they have 6000# each capacity) and I use them in locations I stay at longer than a week.

Anything is better than nothing but your system will not help when the wind blows hard for side to side movement.
chevman

Yes it will, it will take the flex in the suspension out of the equation.

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
When someone is walking around inside the 5er it will bounce/wiggle. Rubber tires will bounce, suspension systems are made to bounce. To eliminate the bouncing/wiggling you need to keep the weight from pushing down on the tires and suspension by making sure your stabilizers are tight between the 5er and the ground. Donโ€™t just let them out far enough to touch the ground, turn the crank more to make sure they are tight so they will not allow the 5er to push down on the tires. Use a bipod/tripod under the king pin. Make sure it is tight between the ground and the king pin, donโ€™t just adjust it till it touches, tighten it so the front overhang will not move. Make sure to check the stabilizers and bipod/tripod every couple of days because they will loosen up over time.

Doesnโ€™t make sense spending a lot of money on landing jack stabilizers when the landing jacks are stable and donโ€™t bounce up and down. If you have properly adjusted the stabilizers and bipod/tripod then you shouldnโ€™t have any bouncing/wiggling. This has worked for me over the past 15 years.

Chocks are to keep the 5er from rolling forward or backwards. They do not eliminate the weight of the 5er from pushing down and causing the bouncing/wiggling. If you park on a site that has a incline/decline then you probably want to use chocks to keep your 5er from rolling when you unhitch.

There are a lot of other options out there to โ€œeliminateโ€ the bouncing/wiggling if you have the extra money and want to spend it.
HR

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
Another thought - Why don't RV manufacturers mount the front landing legs so that there is little to no wobble? Mine wobble quite a bit and I , like many other 5th wheel owners had to buy an aftermarket unit (Steadyfast - Big triangles make stronger braces!) to stabilize my trailer. I have to think that there is a way, and a lot cheaper ultimately than adding aftermarket stabilizers. Crazy to buy a $30K to $65K (or more) 5th wheel and than have to FIX IT!! Doesn't make sense to me.

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
I went with the "Bal" lock arm stabilizers. They are similar to the "JT's" but cost less and to lock them you use the same "3/4" wrench that is used for the rear jacks. Works for me.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTLU0725CSU
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Winfield Stabilizers out of San Diego. No holes to drill and about a minute to set up once installed. Had them on our Titanium and moved then to our Montana.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
netjam wrote:
Unlike previous posters I have JTs (factory installed) and don't like them. I have stopped using them and have purchased 4 screw jacks from Camping World for $40. They are kind of like auto jack stands that you tighten up between the ground and the frame. Works great (they have 6000# each capacity) and I use them in locations I stay at longer than a week.

Anything is better than nothing but your system will not help when the wind blows hard for side to side movement.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Trail-Mate
Explorer
Explorer
I Love my factory Installed JT's, They have worked flawlessly for 3 years. Very little if any movement in the 5th wheel. Very Stable.
1997 Ford F250 Extended Cab, 7.3 Diesel, 8 foot bed.
Reese 16K Hitch
(Moved into Shed) Hensley Arrow
Jordan Brake Controller, Hensley TruControl Gold Shelved.
Open Range 5th Wheel, Roamer RF392 BHS

Happy Camping !!

netjam
Explorer
Explorer