cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to lift each tire off the ground for service?

AMG1978
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using one of those yellow "Trailer Aid" devices to drive forward on (front axle) or reverse on (rear axle). It works, but I got to thinking, isn't there an easier way to get the job done safely? Does anyone know if it's save to jack up one side somehow? my floor jacks are only 2.5 ton, but if I had a many ton bottle jack or something, can you safely jack it up in place? Thanks.

If i did service unloaded (no toys or water) i'd still probably be at about 9500lbs.
2012 F-250 6.L Diesel 4x4 Lariat
2016 Forest River WA2916 35' Toy Hauler
34 REPLIES 34

juzplanekrazy
Explorer
Explorer
OMG, I Love It. Lincster, somethings never change.
2021 Dodge Ram Longhorn 4x4 Dually
2019 KZ Durango Gold 371
B & W Companion 25K

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I use a bottle jack and a 4x4 piece of wood under the jack and lift from the frame closest to the wheel.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-hydraulic-bottle-jack-66482.html
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RCMAN46 wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:

In all those years and over 1.2 million miles on the road never saw or heard of a tube being crushed till I came on a RV website.

The axle tubes on current RV trailers can and have been crushed.

Mine was not crushed by a jack but a chuck hole on I 40 near Kingman Arizona.

That axle isn't crushed it is bent! Just how big was the chuckhole and how fast were you traveling?? Did the tire and rim get damaged??
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

In all those years and over 1.2 million miles on the road never saw or heard of a tube being crushed till I came on a RV website.

The axle tubes on current RV trailers can and have been crushed.

Mine was not crushed by a jack but a chuck hole on I 40 near Kingman Arizona.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I bent the frame on a loaded 18k gvwr GN trailer by jacking the frame from a single point in my younger and dumber days......even after my equipment trailer mfg said not to. Lessons learned the hard way.

I carry a old truckers special 12t shorty hyd jack that is made to slip under a axle tube (leaf spring suspension) next to the U bolt. The old jack has lifted one end of 1750 lb-8000 lb axles from the tubes on fully loaded trailer with Dexter or Rockell American axles. In all those years and over 1.2 million miles on the road never saw or heard of a tube being crushed till I came on a RV website.

No tube damage is the result of the fact lifting one end of a 6k axle a bit is only 2500-3000 lbs vs the whole side of a 12k trailer till the suspension relaxes and the tire clears the ground.
Everyone has their method....this is just mine.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
RCMAN46 wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Does anyone carry all that cribbing needed to jack trailer by frame when laying on the side of the HWY with a flat tire OR jack it under the axle tubes at spring perches :H

I do.
I have two bags of Lynx Levelers for leveling my trailer. More than enough to set my bottle jack on to raise trailer by the frame.
Okay, you've used all your Lynx Levelers to raise the frame, what do you use to support it now that you've got it up there?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wild Card wrote:
Lifting a trailer by 1 single point of the frame is a no no. Ask Lippert. You must lift for and aft of the spring hangers. so thats 2 jacks and enough cribbing for each.

So if your not doing it that way, your still doing it wrong

LOL.....direct from the high quality frame fabricators at Lippert components is it.

That's absurd, as you now need to carry two jacks in case of a flat tire? But then again seeing some of the things Lippert does, and some of their power plant quality welding including the frame on our current Rockwood, I'd not be shocked for it to bend in half from using a single jack, or simply going over a speed bump LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Lifting a trailer by 1 single point of the frame is a no no. Ask Lippert. You must lift for and aft of the spring hangers. so thats 2 jacks and enough cribbing for each.

So if your not doing it that way, your still doing it wrong
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Does anyone carry all that cribbing needed to jack trailer by frame when laying on the side of the HWY with a flat tire OR jack it under the axle tubes at spring perches :H

I do.
I have two bags of Lynx Levelers for leveling my trailer. More than enough to set my bottle jack on to raise trailer by the frame.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

My buddy does. It is crazy how much stuff he has.
I always carry the tie blocks.
They come in handy.
Then I can use the bottle jack from my truck if I need to.
I did it last year on the trailer on the side of the road, lifted by the frame. ๐Ÿ™‚
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Explorer II
Explorer II
N-Trouble wrote:
2112 wrote:
I lift one wheel at a time at the perch with a 2 ton floor jack. It's only lifting 25% of total weight minus hitch weight. For my setup that's ~2080lbs per wheel on my double axle.

A triple axle would be 16.66% of total weight minus hitch weight.

Wouldnโ€™t it be 50% of total - tongue? When you lift one wheel to raise the other off the ground your carrying the weight of both axles on that side.
I'm only lifting one wheel off the ground just high enough to remove it. It's compressing that one spring. If I keep jacking enough to raise the other wheel then yes, it will be 50%.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Very cool.
Glad it worked out for you.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail