cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most important 5th. Wheel features for full timers

baggy_pants
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are recently retired and moving toward becoming fulltime RVers. We are currently in the fact finding stage of a 5th. wheel purchase. We're interested in a front lounge floor plan but more importantly we would like to get some imput from fulltimers as to what features of the 5th wheel are the most important in a full time application. Thanks for your time.
34 REPLIES 34

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
dbl - deleted

cruz-in
Explorer
Explorer
Windows, Windows and more windows....love the natural light and view....
2011 Monaco Vesta
Interesting Coach
This particular one was the prototype.

GramaofAAAA
Explorer
Explorer
We are new full timers. Sold the house and moved into the 29' 5th wheel last May. We love it, but...a little larger shower, a built in dirty laundry hamper, and a sprayer for the kitchen sink. Those are the things I wish I would have thought about when buying an RV. Thinking about having a little home remodel done. 🙂

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
We full-time in our Cedar Creek Daydreamer and for us it's perfect (but it's not the front living room layout) for these reasons,

-Amana residential fridge w/ icemaker, ton's of deep room inside and when I think of how much I've spent on cooler ice over the years I cringe! Also I keep a mini-fridge in the storage bay for beer n' such.

-Washer/dryer, Frau Blücher does small loads every couple of days, totally convenient!

-Pancake compressor/elect. powerwasher, lots of tires and things to wash!

-Honda 3000IE generator, powers the whole rig when were boondocking.

-Full-size BBQ grill, stores/travels with the genny on the tray on the rear of my fiver, we mostly cook outside on the grill cutting down on heating up the inside of our rig.

-STORAGE-STORAGE-STORAGE!!! 'nuff said!!

Theres a lot of other "necessities" like tools and spares wich you'll figure it out after a time and the learning curve isn't that big. This is our fourth year full-timing and so far we have been totally happy with our rig, we literally have all the comforts of home with internet and all the rest of the teckki stuff we had in our 3500sq.ft.sticks n' bricks home without the expense and getting our freedom back to go, do what we want when we want to, believe me, your stepping into a groovy new lifestyle!

Sheryl Crow;
It's not having what you want,
It's wanting what you've got!
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to assume that you are going to full time and travel, even though you may elect to sit in one warm place for most of the winter.

Big frig, shower, all those comfort items are good suggestions. Even though there will still be some adjustments living in less than 400 square feet 24/7.

I would either buy a used FW (1 - 3 years old) or a new one. I would stay between 38' and 40'. Find a floor plan that you really like and go with it.

Learn how to calculate your weights, truck, FW, and combination. DO NOT go by what any RV sales person tells you! Plan on adding between 1600 and 2500 pounds of extra weight as full timers to your TV and FW, so match the TV accordingly.

The only way you are going to know if your FW has the correctly rated tires on it, no matter if they are brand new out of the factory or not, is to either weigh the unit loaded or do some figuring yourself. 80% of the FW sold new do not have the properly rated tires.

Tires and weight ratings, and making sure you have enough truck to pull a full timing FW are the most important safety issues.

Do you want to be like some of us that never have flat tires or break downs, or do you want to be that guy that saved a few bucks and ends up on the side of the road waiting for the wrecker twice a year?
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
For 10 years, we've fulltimed exclusively in 5thW. Had 40', 36' and 38'. We look for comfort and have found the 38' is almost always ideal.

Our version of comfort is:
- TV must sit directly across from reclining loveseat or individual recliners
- Must have plenty of counter space for food prepping and clean-up
- Enclosed bathroom over split-bath. Needs shower large enough to bend over when you drop the soap
- Full Queen bed, so high thread count sheets are easy to purchase.
- Well placed inside storage and easy access to basement.
- Good insulation, because we can't pick warm Winters or Cool Summers while still working.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would look at the storage in the unit and the available payload. I have a great RV with lots of storage space, but the available payload is only about 800 lbs. You can eat that up pretty fast when you full timing.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
For me it would be full body paint.
Staying in sunny locals destroys decals and yellows, fades and oxidizes gel coat and filon siding.
I would want real paint and painted graphics that will hold up better to the UV.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
baggy pants wrote:
.. what features of the 5th wheel are the most important in a full time application.
Square footage.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
A very open question that cannot be answered in any detail without knowing planned traveling/not traveling habits but one thing that is needed no matter what is a functioning galley with lots of counter space. Something most do not have.

There is the temptation to go big but going big increases limitations on where one can go.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
1) Storage space inside - kitchen, clothes, and your personal electronics.
2) Can you really get clean in the shower? Is it big enough for you?
3) Can your wife get around the bed to make it? Test and try for yourself.
4) Fridge - even the best household fridges are likely smaller than yours at home.
5) Kitchen - can you make a meal comfortable - you are not going to be able to cook on the grill a LOT
6) Comfortable sitting arrangements - personally prefer two recliners or theater seats
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
For what it is worth NEVER accept a floor plan as it is published. For instance in the bed room there always looks like there is more space between the mattress and the wall than there really is. I have looked at plans then went to the dealers lot to see it in person and wow I could not get between the bed and wall. I think they draw in a full size mattress then stick a queen in the space......

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Will you be boondocking a lot? Can you easily add more batteries? Is it easy to add panels on the roof and other components when modifying the electrical system?

Do you want a washer and dryer.

Rob_Fla
Explorer
Explorer
After looking at several RV shows and online at a number of different 5th Wheel models / floor plans, we found one that appeared to work for us, then we got the price negotiating done (in writing) before we set foot in the dealer (if price was not right, no point in going to the dealer) then we went to the dealer and told the salesman we needed it powered up with all systems connected and they needed to leave us alone for a 2 or 3 hours while we "Played House" to ensure it was right for us.
Like the previous post said, sit on the toilet, stand in the shower, lay on the bed, work the kitchen and pretend you are using it, sit in the chairs and turn on the TV, play house !!!
We also opened and closed every door and cabinet a number of times before moving forward.
2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
All good advice so far but I would add also stand in the shower see if you fit both height and width, act like your washing your hair see if you can maneuver your arms. Also sit on the toilet see if there is enough room, I know this sounds silly but add this to trying out the units you like with everyday things you do, good luck and enjoy your choice.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.