cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear Kitchen

leftybj
Explorer
Explorer
We saw a unit with a rear kitchen that we liked. My question is, has anyone had problems with too much bouncing around causing dishes to break etc.... thanks for any info you may provide.
36 REPLIES 36

filthy_beast
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 30 foot fifth wheel with a rear kitchen. We are able to leave the coffee maker on the counter and it usually stays put, maybe moves an inch or two for a full days driving. We had on exception, we had to stop hard once and there were a series of bumps that made it move 6 to 8 inches.
Goody Two Shoes and the Filthy Beast
2008 Silverado 2500HD
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You cannot make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.

newk
Explorer
Explorer
We've had two RK models over the past 14-15 years and only once did we have any broken dishes. That was a BAD section of road! We also lost part of the window housing in the bedroom (front) and had a flat tire on that same section of gravel road, so I don't blame the broken dishes on having a rear kitchen. Neither had shocks on the suspension -- an older Jayco and our current (2006) Puma.

We hope to get a bigger 5th wheel in the coming years, and we'd get it with a mid kitchen simply because on the larger ones we like the rear living room. On a small one, we'd stick with the rear kitchen.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Komfort RK and would have another RK in. Heart beat. We've only had one real issue when on I-217 through Portland. They were resurfacing si every bridge (too many) had a temporary ramps for each bridge. Nothing was broke but the fridge was all jumbled.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Columbus RK and never have problems. I think the suspension makes a difference.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
The suspension means everything. We had a CK that would throw gallon jugs out of the kitchen sink til I reworked the suspension. This RK 5er has Morryde LRE and things even stay put on the counter tops. We love the RK arrangement. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

RedGATitan
Explorer
Explorer
2dnd year with a rear kitchen and I believe the drawer under the midship sofa has move more than anything in the kitchen.
2003 F-250 PSD 4X4
2013 Outback Sydney 331 FRK

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
duplicate. sorry.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I used to be one of those who said "nothing ever broken", but we did have a couple of ceramic items broken since then. I probably got too cocky about it. That said, we now take some minimal care in packing items. Never had a cabinet or drawers open or the like. We do love ours and would buy another. Probably will, in fact.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 29RKS chappy.Starting ou second year and haven't broke a thing.Stuff in the cabinets and the pantry stay pretty much where they belong.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
Had a North trail RK...no issues. Of course we don't carry breakable dishes/glasses. Things rode well, doors stayed shut.
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Had two TT with RK and now have a 5er with a RK. Broke a dish with the first TT when we hit a serious bump in the road. Since that time we have not had anything else broken. We have not had to bubble wrap anything like one of the previous posters said. I would recommend them for the added counter space and usually more cabinet space.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

robrose1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a Jayco RKS for 4 years and had only minor issues. For one the drawers kept breaking where they mounted to rear wall. things kept sliding around under sink causing plumbing lines to break. Wife loved the counter space.
Rob and Rose
2013 Winnebago Lite Five 29FWRLS
2006 GMC DURAMAX/ALLISON

Old_Teacher
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Rockwood 8280 with the rear kitchen. No problems with broken dishes or spilled cabinets and the DW loves the counter space and layout.
Okay,jokes over.
Now bring back the Constitution.
Proud parent of a U.S. Soldier!

Poppy_s_5th_Whe
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it's more about the quality of the trailer suspension because, even though I read mostly positive reviews here by RK owners, we hated ours. Always something rattling loose. Our pantry shelves had to be repaired/reinforced with plywood from breaking due to canned goods, etc., bouncing around. A broken glass refrigerator shelf we had to replace for the same reason.

I was in the process of researching spending a bunch of money to upgrade the suspension for this very issue when we just decicded to upgrade the whole unit.

Anyway, I can only speak from my personal experience but never again for us.
Paul "Poppy" Cervone
2016 GMC Summit White Denali 3500HD SRW CC/SB
2015 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
We have LOVED our Montana RK for almost 4 years. No problems whatsoever and no scattered/broken items when we stop.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD