cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Something to think about..LT or ST tires

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I think all or most tire stores are watching more about what tire/size that came on the item that the tires are being put on and not wanting to stray from that because of the liability that is involved.
That would or could be a nasty lawsuit for both the trailer owner and the tire store if an LT tire blew out on a trailer that was suppose to only have ST tires and caused an accident causing a death. I'm betting the courts would rule in the victims favor that ST tires should have been on that trailer.
Just my .02 and something I always try to keep in mind.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP
46 REPLIES 46

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
CapriRacer wrote:
danojeno wrote:
Thank goodness my local Discount/America's Tire shop didn't get the memo on this. They boldly recommended LTs to replace my failing STs.......

Which is funny because my local Discount Tire store would have nothing to do with replacing the passenger car tires on my trailer with other passenger car tires. They insisted the tires had to be ST's - in spite of the fact that the Passenger car tires were only loaded to 70% of their rated load carrying capacity!

And my Discount Tire was happy to sell, mount, balance and install 6 brand new Goodyear G614s LTs in place of the******that was on it.

Next.....
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
danojeno wrote:
Thank goodness my local Discount/America's Tire shop didn't get the memo on this. They boldly recommended LTs to replace my failing STs.......

Which is funny because my local Discount Tire store would have nothing to do with replacing the passenger car tires on my trailer with other passenger car tires. They insisted the tires had to be ST's - in spite of the fact that the Passenger car tires were only loaded to 70% of their rated load carrying capacity!

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

danojeno
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:
I think all or most tire stores are watching more about what tire/size that came on the item that the tires are being put on and not wanting to stray from that because of the liability that is involved...

Thank goodness my local Discount/America's Tire shop didn't get the memo on this. They boldly recommended LTs to replace my failing STs. The LTs were a different size too. I sleep better knowing I have a much better tire on the trailer. Just because Walmart and Sams have a policy doesn't mean it has anything to do with LT vs ST. More likely, these blanket policies prevent under-trained employees from going rogue and replacing stock tires with inadequate or improperly sized tires. Maybe your hypothetical lawyer can start suing manufacturers for using crappy ST tires.
2006 Chevy 2500HD 8.1 4x4 CCSB (sold)
2012 Eclipse Stellar 28SBG, Spring Over Axle (Sold)

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer
When I changed over to LT's Les Schwab, who's shops are pretty conservative gave me a little push back until I showed them I was still over on the axle rating. 6000 lb axles with 6084 of tire.

Newvision08
Explorer
Explorer
With all the speculations of ST and Lt tires and lawyers, how about all the people running 70 to 75 on an st tire rated much less. Let the lawyers handle that when a blow out occurs the Rv manufacturer isn't responsible. At least the Lt candle handle the heat and speed.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
big buford wrote:
I like to vacation on vacation. Not change tires. I prefer to go with what works.

Exactly right!!!!!!!!!
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
The whole argument is moot. Only ST tires blow out causing death, not LT tires.

๐Ÿ™‚

:B ROFLMAO, so true!
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, its amazing to see some STILL really believe that ST tires are the only way to go... incredible.
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

captainjohn2008
Explorer
Explorer
CapriRacer wrote:
captainjohn2008 wrote:
I just replaced tires on my truck. First shop I visited would only replace with the factory stock tire size, stating liability issues. The next shop I visited and bought tires from put on the size I wanted, no questions asked. I was only going up one tire size, one load range up as well. Far as I can tell I put on a better tire, so what "Liability" issue would there be. First time I encountered this, I'm always changing to a slightly larger tire on my rides. JMHO.

I am not a lawyer, but I have meet some very sharp ones in my time - and those can convince Eskimos to buy refrigerators.

This would be all about following procedure. As an expert on the subject, I can make a very convincing argument - and I can argue the opposite. The lawyer's job is to convince a jury (or a judge) that doing something non-standard causes issues. Not hard to do.
I'm not going to disagree with you as I know these things are different in the U.S. Up here in the "Great White north' these things couldn't be further from our minds. It's just a cultural difference really. I put a higher rated tire on so that's an improvement over factory stock which makes it even safer. Safer, better tires, I think a lawyer, any lawyer would have a hard time convincing a court that what I did was bad. Believe me, I sleep very soundly at night. By the way, we don't use the term "Eskimos" any more they are referred to as "Inuit". Just Sayin.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:
I think all or most tire stores are watching more about what tire/size that came on the item that the tires are being put on and not wanting to stray from that because of the liability that is involved.
That would or could be a nasty lawsuit for both the trailer owner and the tire store if an LT tire blew out on a trailer that was suppose to only have ST tires and caused an accident causing a death. I'm betting the courts would rule in the victims favor that ST tires should have been on that trailer.
Just my .02 and something I always try to keep in mind.
Your entire post is based on pure speculation on your part with no basis in fact. Please, come back when you have facts and substance to support your argument.

Good point and like the GVWR debate is simply a scare tactic or a crock full of ....... .

These guys like to scare folks into their reasoning with the lawsuit tactic/civil lawsuits/etc but have never backed their claims up with a credible link to a court ruling or civil lawsuit ruling stating their claims.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
captainjohn2008 wrote:
I just replaced tires on my truck. First shop I visited would only replace with the factory stock tire size, stating liability issues. The next shop I visited and bought tires from put on the size I wanted, no questions asked. I was only going up one tire size, one load range up as well. Far as I can tell I put on a better tire, so what "Liability" issue would there be. First time I encountered this, I'm always changing to a slightly larger tire on my rides. JMHO.

I am not a lawyer, but I have meet some very sharp ones in my time - and those can convince Eskimos to buy refrigerators.

This would be all about following procedure. As an expert on the subject, I can make a very convincing argument - and I can argue the opposite. The lawyer's job is to convince a jury (or a judge) that doing something non-standard causes issues. Not hard to do.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

captainjohn2008
Explorer
Explorer

LoneStar1
Explorer
Explorer
I guess that means I cannot replace the P245/70/17 tires on my 1/2 ton truck with LT tires or even a larger size because the door tire sticker only lists P245/70/17 and nothing else. I guess being as the truck only lists this size that was all it was designed for. Heaven forbid if we modify anything to make it better or safer.

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
fly-boy wrote:

In no way would a person be in trouble for replacing cheap ST tires with better quality LT tires.

That's just it though, its not "getting in trouble". It's personal liability. Of course you can do what you want. We all can. But sadly we live in a highly litigious society. Lets say you blow an LT and a piece flies off and causes someone in a nearby car to get seriously hurt. Your trailer came with STs. One savvy lawyer is all it takes to file a civil lawsuit that you deviated from manufacturer specs and you'll have a tough time getting a personal liability rider after its all settled. And I guarantee you that no how much documentation you provide to show that LTs are better, all the plaintiffs lawyer needs is a statement from the manufacturer stating they didn't design the trailer for LT tires. I'm not saying that's right, it just is. Its the world we live in today.

There is no personal liability when you replace an ST tire with an LT tire unless you are mounting a tire that the wheel can't accommodate due to size, weight or air pressure capacity. LT tires are better period and any mainstream tire outlet will know this and tell you this.
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
The whole argument is moot. Only ST tires blow out causing death, not LT tires.

๐Ÿ™‚