cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on how to sell my RV quickly

mags1
Explorer
Explorer
I am in a bind and unfortunately need to sell my RV, I purchased it a couple of years ago from an estate, its in great shape, I love it, but the kids are in college now and tuition is killing me. I've tried selling it on eBay twice, the first time I started the auction at $5000, it was bid up to 18500, the buyer backed out saying they couldn't get financed? took 45 days to get it resolved. The second time it sold for 17800, this time the buyer contacted me briefly then I never heard from her again, another 30 + days or so later, I still need to sell it even more ASAP. How can I find a real buyer? I dont honestly know what its worth, but I'm willing to lower the price if i could just get it sold. can anyone help with this?
22 REPLIES 22

charles
Explorer
Explorer
I think they are not looking for advice but trying to sell it on the forum. Don't understand why this is still active.
2019 Thor Chateau 22B

d0n1
Explorer
Explorer
RVtrader.com is good too.

Post pics here and tell more about it. Maybe someone here wants to buy it. Heck if, the price is right, I'll buy it!

jrobe
Explorer
Explorer
I have sold 3 vehicles (not RV's) this year, two on Ebay and one on Craigslist. They were all fast sales to great buyers from all across the country with absolutely no problems. You just have to do it right.

I first spent considerable time cleaning the vehicles up. Then I took about 50 high quality pictures. I posted the maximum number on the web site and included a link to the rest on a free Photobucket photo hosting web site. Then I made a 10 minute youtube video of each vehicle that included starting up the vehicles so the buyer could see and hear it running and see that the radio, power windows and everything else working well. Then I included an accurate description of all the good qualities and all the defects. Then i priced it fairly and took all the proper precautions to weed out the deadbeats. I spoke personally to most of the bidders. I insisted on a paypal deposit within 24hours and full payment by cash or Cashiers Check within 3 days with clear directions that the check must clear before the vehicle or title were released. On Ebay, you can set up at least some restrictions to limit the bidders to only those with some feedback requirements and an active paypal account. I also blocked a few bidders with less than perfect feedback or that seemed suspicious. All three vehicles were sold at well over Blue Book value.

I am always amazed at how poor online advertisements are for high priced items. Most people are probably just too lazy to do the work to sell their item properly. If you do it properly, demonstrate that you are an honest seller, price the item fairly and take some simple precautions, it isn't hard to sell an expensive item with a national audience. I would hate to go back to the days where we all just puts ads in the local newspaper.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I have sold a couple of RV's (not mohos) by simply cleaning them up nice, staging the inside well, placing a sign on them, asking a market appropriate price and listing in the local classified ADs. Never took more than a couple of weeks.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second the comment on PPL. We drove our 2007 Roadtrek 210P down to Houston, consigned it to PPL and it was sold in five business days at a fair price. They are consignment only and sell over 200 units a month. They also have a facility in New Braunfels. It was a pleasure dealing with them....courteous and professional all the way. Folks fly in from all over the country to buy stuff from them.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best way to sell fast: Price it low. And I agree that Craigslist is a good place to list and it's FREE!
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
If you are in Dallas, I'd also consider looking at PPL. They can not just consign, but buy rigs outright if the price is right. Of course, this will be less than what you can get with CL, but it is an option.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Make arrangements with your local auto notary (or AAA) and communicate with your prospective buyer.

When I go to a CL seller I come prepared to finalize the deal and ask if they have a notary ready. You are reasonable to expect the same as a seller.

Good luck.

bee_46
Explorer
Explorer
We sold an SUV on Criagslist. We were able to get the high end value for make and model. Buyer paid with certified check and cash. Do watch out for the scams however.
Bobbie 🙂

2003 Pleasure Way Excel TD

Alaska 2008

Arches, Geysers, and Canyons

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
If someone wants to give you a local cashier's check, meet them at the bank issuing the check. It's a safe location, and you can verify that the check is legit. They can be forged.

Do not do anything resembling shipping, any elaborate arrangements for payment, etc.

Use your common sense on CL and you will be fine.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Kennedy64
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Craigslist is great but remember huge scams. When I had my pop up for sale, this guy from Denver texted me this extremely long text about his nephew wanting to buy it, we'd use PayPal, then would send a truck to pick it up, blah, blah..My first question to him was 'seriously, there are no 20 yr old pop ups in CO' followed by the exact way the scam was going to work (I use to be a manager at a bank), he never got back to me.

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
Craiglist - Being in Dallas you have a large market.

I have had great results selling a Class C and a Class A on Craigslist in DFW the last few years.

Post good pictures with a good complete description of your motorhome including options, any upgrades you might have done and how you maintained it. Have another 25-50 pictures available to email prospective buyers.

There are scammers on Craigslist but most will be through email and they are not that hard to spot.

Just ask them to text or call.

Typically if someone is really interested they won’t have a problem calling you and providing their email address for the additional pictures.

I typically meet them at my house and if they want to test drive, I go with them. On both of my units the first folks that test drove them bought them.

As far a pricing goes, NADA is a good starting point but very few sellers seem to be getting the NADA numbers in today’s market. Look online at Ebay and Craigslist to see what folks are asking for similar models and look at Ebay completed auctions to see what they are actually getting. If you are priced too high on Craigslist you won’t get any calls or emails. Get the price close to market value (not NADA) and the buyers will find you.

Both of my buyers paid with certified banks checks.

I sold my BMW convertible on Craiglist recently and shipped it to Florida. Same deal, certified bank check deposited and cleared prior to sending title.

I have sold thousands of items on Ebay and hundreds on Craigslist without any issues or falling for any scams. Send me a message if you would like any more info on the process.

Hope this helps

Michael
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do don't try to sell it here:E

What was it again, and what do you want for it??!?

Good Luck!
Markiemark
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

Explorer II
Explorer II
mags1 - PM sent
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857