cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can you sleep 4 in a class B

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I'm toying with the idea of replacing my Ford F-150 with a class B travel coach.

My plan is to tow it behind my 45 foot DP as we travel throughout North America so I need two things 1) the ability to sleep two adults and two children and 2) the ability to tow 4 down.

I'm thinking that a class B van will have plenty of room for daily travels and shopping plus we could use it for day trips or even short term camping in national and state parks where a 45 footer wouldn't fit.

Does that make any sense? What brands should I consider? What else should I be looking for.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
34 REPLIES 34

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
mkguitar wrote:
The winnebago Rialta has a number of floorplans.

the QD includes a queeen (ish) in the rear and the 2nd row pass seats turn into beds.

http://www.rialtainfo.com/model_info/images/floor_plan_22qd.gif

couple of good youtube viddys showing these

built on a VW chassis

no idea about tow-ability

mike

The Riata is a Class C, and not a good purchased, since parts are sky high, and no VW dealer will work on it. There underpowered, and a drivetrain plagued with problems.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
charles wrote:
I'm pretty sure Sportsmobile will make one for you that sleeps four and you can choose whatever chassis you want.

Nick

SportsMobile with the Penthouse top can sleep 4 very comfortably. Not only choose the chassis but design the interior to your needs/liking. A bit pricy, as any other B for a toad, but fits the bill.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

mkguitar
Explorer
Explorer
The winnebago Rialta has a number of floorplans.

the QD includes a queeen (ish) in the rear and the 2nd row pass seats turn into beds.

http://www.rialtainfo.com/model_info/images/floor_plan_22qd.gif

couple of good youtube viddys showing these

built on a VW chassis

no idea about tow-ability

mike

charles
Explorer
Explorer
The tow bar may or may not be considered a safety device but the mandatory safety cables are and they are longer than the tow bar itself. They will add at least 2-1/2 feet spanning the distance from the tow vehicle hitch plate to the towed vehicle. You might want to inquire about the allowable non-commercial lengths.

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
My 19' Versatile Roadtrek says it can sleep 4 using the front seats converted to 2 narrow single bunks. It may work for small children. You could also use a small tent for overnight in good weather and safe conditions. I personally think it is well suited for 1 only.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
As said by others, check out the Sportsmobile website. You can design your own floorplan with whatever will fit in the space and get whatever you need without anything you don't need. They work with customers on a one to one basis instead of making a few standard models. They make a quality product and are fairly inexpensive, at least for B vans.
Advanced RV Sprinter

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
I would guess me and three college cheerleaders would be able to.

Slightly modified being on a desert Island fantasy

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
What you get will really depend upon the amenities you must have. Do you want a bathroom? Porta potty? Do you want an indoor kitchen? How will you use the B? Just as a place to sleep on the rare night you stay away from the DP? Or do you plan on using it as a substitution for your DP when you can't take that?
That's a good question and I don't really know the answer. I would think the more amenities, the better, but obviously, sleeping capacity would take precedence. I could see omitting the shower to save space.
`

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not sure if a tow bar would equate to a "safety device" or not.

To me, a safety device would be the bumpers, backup/brake lights, etc. A hitch, tow bar, etc. are not used to provide safety to the vehicle, but to enable connecting the two vehicles, so would not be considered "safety device". But, might be worth it to ask highway patrol on that matter.

As to whether a B is over or under 20 ft, it will depend on what you get. A sprinter could be 20-21ft. A simple conversion van could be as short as 16 ft.

What you get will really depend upon the amenities you must have. Do you want a bathroom? Porta potty? Do you want an indoor kitchen? How will you use the B? Just as a place to sleep on the rare night you stay away from the DP? Or do you plan on using it as a substitution for your DP when you can't take that?
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
holstein13 wrote:
Dakota98 wrote:
Isn't there a combined legal towing length of 65' in Florida ?
I don't think it will be any worse than my current setup. Besides, good luck trying to figure out the law: http://www.flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2011/316.515

From your link:

Unless otherwise specifically provided for in this section, a combination of vehicles not qualifying as commercial motor vehicles may consist of no more than two units coupled together; such nonqualifying combination of vehicles may not exceed a total length of 65 feet, inclusive of the load carried thereon, but exclusive of safety and energy conservation devices approved by the department for use on vehicles using public roads.

There is nothing specifically provided for in the section regarding a non-commercial vehicle that would apply to your set up except:

MOTOR HOMES.โ€”No motor home may exceed a length of 45 feet exclusive of bumpers and safety devices.
I guess I'm good then. 45 foot MH plus 20 foot toad equals 65 feet. Sounds like they don't count the approved tow bar. How long are class Bs?
`

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't there a B manufacturer that has a drop down bed over the cab area, as well as a double or queen in the back? Don't recall the company, but thought I saw that. Maybe not ideal for adults, but could work with kids.
2013 RT 190-Popular

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
A 21-24 foot van has enough space to build a conversion with sleeping for four and highway legal seating for four, particularly if you are willing to use upper-level bunks and/or pop-ups.

Almost all the Westfalia conversions of VW compact vans sold in the U.S. would sleep four, as does the Traverse from Pleasureway, built on the standard length E-series.

What you sacrifice are some housekeeping facilities and storage space, i.e. you have a travel/camping van, not a complete little house on wheels. Closest to having it all was probably the Westfalia conversion on the Sprinter, sold here by Airstream. But even that was a compromise in that the bed made up in the seating/dinette space wasn't really suitable for larger people.

Among the larger B's, there are models that seat four and make up a couple of the seating positions into small beds. Winnebago Travato will seat and sleep four in two beds, but again, some of the sleeping space is for smaller people.

But the most B motorhomes sold are the ones designed for use by a couple, providing luxury living for two and maybe travel seating for additional people.

You have to figure out just what compromises you want to make, house facilities vs people space, and seek out the floorplans that most closely fit your needs. Having something custom built is certainly an option (I would start at Sportmobile, although there are other custom van conversion companies) but you will still be working with the space inside the van body.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
holstein13 wrote:
Dakota98 wrote:
Isn't there a combined legal towing length of 65' in Florida ?
I don't think it will be any worse than my current setup. Besides, good luck trying to figure out the law: http://www.flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2011/316.515

From your link:

Unless otherwise specifically provided for in this section, a combination of vehicles not qualifying as commercial motor vehicles may consist of no more than two units coupled together; such nonqualifying combination of vehicles may not exceed a total length of 65 feet, inclusive of the load carried thereon, but exclusive of safety and energy conservation devices approved by the department for use on vehicles using public roads.

There is nothing specifically provided for in the section regarding a non-commercial vehicle that would apply to your set up except:

MOTOR HOMES.โ€”No motor home may exceed a length of 45 feet exclusive of bumpers and safety devices.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we used to sleep five in a VW pop-up but I don't think I could do it now. We occasionally had one young grandchild (8 to 10 years old) join us in our Roadtrek and I suppose we could have packed another one in if necessary. I would consider four to be a crowd in a Class B. lizzie

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
Before you decide on which brand to buy, you will want to thoroughly check the four-down towing requirements for the particular chassis the B is on. Personally I like the units that PleasureWay manufactures, but have no idea about their towability four-down.