cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

toad

RBabb
Explorer
Explorer
I see lots of post about not being able to back up with a 2 or 4 dowe toad. Just wondering why people chose this over a trailer? Looking for pros and cons from experience instead of learning all the hard way
08 Ram 3500 Big Horn, DRW, Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, 6.7 CTD, 6sp Auto, B&W Companion, Prodigy Controller

08 Ram 2500 Big Horn, SRW, Crew Cab, short Bed, 4x4, 6.7 ctd

01 NUWA 39SUT Packrat, 40' Toy hauler- sold
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 36c
15 REPLIES 15

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
I tow a trailer with a car on it but I have to agree with this poster.

It does take me a longer to hook up from scratch (10 minutes).

In our case the license is a one time thing (provincial thing) and the insurance is theft only as the insurance itself is covered under the motorhome.

But as the poster mentioned, this is another maintenance item as far as bearings etc. I think the tires are a wash as you wear out toad tires if it is towed four down and the two trailer tires are cheaper.

Storage can and will be an issue without proper planning but again in our case it stores mostly under the rear of the motorhome like a toad. If you are looking at a dual axle trailer it may be an issue depending on where you go. For some people it may not be an issue if you have specific spots you go to. If you decide to pull a trailer MAKE SURE YOU PUT A HITCH ON THE CAR OR TRUCK SO YOU CAN PULL YOUR TRAILER AROUND. This can help that situation.

The weight thins can make a big difference (2000 pounds or more) if you are pulling with a gas motorhome. Probably less of an issue with the diesel. Make sure you get a large wheel on the tounge jack. 2000 pound trailers are not fun to push around. Our trailer only weighs 450 pounds but then again it is just a smart car. Pretty much any vehicle bigger than 2500 pounds will need a dual axle trailer.

Expense will be more than a tow bar and toad brake setup but probably not more than double.

We still prefer the trailer thing as we can literally back into spots for overnighters etc, tight campgrounds etc, easier to deal with. We have done it both ways and prefer the trailer. Having said that if I had to look at a 24 foot trailer to tow a car I would go four down.

JMHO

VERY nice set up.

Real good tip about putting a hitch on the toad to move a trailer around.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I once back with my toad for a very short distance. As a general rule it doesn't work well. Knock on wood, I have yet to have had to unhook the toad on a trip. I am anal about pulling into places when I'm pulling the toad. Getting gassed up with the toad is sometimes a minor pain in the backside but, I start looking at a half tank so, I have been OK with that.

We did a TT for several years and there ain't a thing wrong with it. Nothing is perfect. Driving that RV has it aggravations and pulling a TT has just as many. My wife has some health issues so riding down the road in the house really works good for her. We only have to stop when the driver (me) has to pee. The older I get the more that happens. I think that TT vs. motorhome with a toad is a dead heat. I will note this, if you're camping for extended periods of time you save on fuel with a toad rather than a big tow vehicle for a TT or a 5'er. I have gone to the beach for a week many times with the toad topped off before we leave. We rarely buy gas in the toad till we are back home. So, the only gas we actually buy on the trip is for the motorhome. Over Christmas we will spend, in total, maybe $250.00 in gas. That two weeks. One week at one beach and the second week 100 miles South at another beach.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
With a trailer you have
+ Double the hook up time which is really a PITA if the weather is nasty out and just a bother the rest of the time
+ Another item to license and pay insurance on
+ Trailer bearings and brakes take more maintenance than wheel bearings or brakes on a toad do
+ Another item (24' long) to store either in the RV park, at home or paid storage
+ Trailer is more weight (2,500 - 4,000#) to tow around and not needed especially if you have a class C MH
+ The expense of buying the tailer
+ And I'm sure there are more reasons

In two years I've only had to unhook the toad twice. Actually I only remember doing it once, but then I usually never learn something the first time, so I'm sure there was a second time.......

Bill

I tow a trailer with a car on it but I have to agree with this poster.

It does take me a longer to hook up from scratch (10 minutes).

In our case the license is a one time thing (provincial thing) and the insurance is theft only as the insurance itself is covered under the motorhome.

But as the poster mentioned, this is another maintenance item as far as bearings etc. I think the tires are a wash as you wear out toad tires if it is towed four down and the two trailer tires are cheaper.

Storage can and will be an issue without proper planning but again in our case it stores mostly under the rear of the motorhome like a toad. If you are looking at a dual axle trailer it may be an issue depending on where you go. For some people it may not be an issue if you have specific spots you go to. If you decide to pull a trailer MAKE SURE YOU PUT A HITCH ON THE CAR OR TRUCK SO YOU CAN PULL YOUR TRAILER AROUND. This can help that situation.

The weight thins can make a big difference (2000 pounds or more) if you are pulling with a gas motorhome. Probably less of an issue with the diesel. Make sure you get a large wheel on the tounge jack. 2000 pound trailers are not fun to push around. Our trailer only weighs 450 pounds but then again it is just a smart car. Pretty much any vehicle bigger than 2500 pounds will need a dual axle trailer.

Expense will be more than a tow bar and toad brake setup but probably not more than double.

We still prefer the trailer thing as we can literally back into spots for overnighters etc, tight campgrounds etc, easier to deal with. We have done it both ways and prefer the trailer. Having said that if I had to look at a 24 foot trailer to tow a car I would go four down.

JMHO

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
A dolley or trailer present their own problems, mostly with storage. In the case of a dolley, loose straps and such are also often a problem.

4 down is easiest without question.
And cheapest.
But you cannot backup, not more than a few feet, and not if any turning is involved. The towbar will jam up, and you won't be able to release it, and life will suck for a while.

One time, we were heading into a state park in Kentucky. I took the wrong turn in, heading for the beach. I didn't know that road did a circlke and headed back out....
I tried to do a u=turn, on a 180 degree turn road, in a place where a 40' DP with toad had no business even being (but if I'd continued forward I could have gotten out....)

Regardless, I ended up stuck. Towbar couldn't release, motorhome couldn't go forward or backwards, life sucked big time.
After a while, I did get the towbar to release, unhooked the toad, got the motorhome turned around, and got where I was going.

These experiences are the result of not knowing, or not paying attention. Avoidable. And not less of a problem that using a dolley or a trailer would have been in that same position.

Bottom line is, don't EVER go anywhere you are not certain you can get out of.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
A dolley or trailer present their own problems, mostly with storage. In the case of a dolley, loose straps and such are also often a problem.

4 down is easiest without question.
And cheapest.
But you cannot backup, not more than a few feet, and not if any turning is involved. The towbar will jam up, and you won't be able to release it, and life will suck for a while.

Pnne time, we were heading into a state park in Kentucky. I took the wrong turn in, heading for the beach. I didn't know that road did a circlke and headed back out....
I tried to do a u=turn, on a 180 degree turn road, in a place where a 40' DP with toad had no business even being (but if I'd continued forward I could have gotten out....)

Regardless, I ended up stuck. Towbar couldn't release, motorhome couldn't go forward or backwards, life sucked big time.
After a while, I did get the towbar to release, unhooked the toad, got the motorhome turned around, and got where I was going.

These experiences are the result of not knowing, or not paying attention. Avoidable. And not less of a problem that using a dolley or a trailer would have been in that same position.

Bottom line is, don't EVER go anywhere you are not certain you can get out of.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

ease of towing, hooking up, unhooking and not having another set of wheels to deal with at the campground or RV park. with a bit of planning and situational awareness you'll find that not being able to backup with a 4-wheel down toad is not an issue.

X2 .....Well said

For years I have had a car trailer for my antiques if they break or need TLC from someone else. Four down is MUCH easier
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
RBabb wrote:
I see lots of post about not being able to back up with a 2 or 4 dowe toad. Just wondering why people chose this over a trailer? Looking for pros and cons from experience instead of learning all the hard way

ease of towing, hooking up, unhooking and not having another set of wheels to deal with at the campground or RV park. with a bit of planning and situational awareness you'll find that not being able to backup with a 4-wheel down toad is not an issue.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Weight and cost. My coach has a 5K weight limit and a trailer with the capacity to carry a car probably costs as much as the car I tow. My one time I had to disconnect was when I got lost and could not turn around without backing.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
It all has to do with the type of tow bar used. Since they flex in and out.

Just like when towing anything it becomes second nature that you HAVE to look ahead before entering to make sure you can get in and out. No one wants to have to back a trailer out either.

8 years on the road full timing towing a toad. I have had to unhook 2 times. Both not my fault.

Burger King in Marrietta
Who would of thought that there is an entrance that goes into a tight round parking lot behind the building with NO exit?

Kentucky Horse Park CG
Pulled in at night and CG host waved me into the wrong site in the dark that when I pulled in I was met with a concrete parking bumper and a now MH and Toad at a complete 45 degree angle. :R

Talk about jammed tight tow bar hitch pins! That's were I learned how to use a small socket wrench extension and a hammer. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
and yes you can back up a toad within limitations, but that is another thread/argument.
bumpy

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
A topic with endless posts about everything related to towing. Research the topic on this site. Easy.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I've only had to back up towing all 4 down once! The only time I would buy a trailer is if I owned a new Corvette or some other car that costs over 100K! And all that is not practical for me! The CRV is just fine!

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
With a trailer you have
+ Double the hook up time which is really a PITA if the weather is nasty out and just a bother the rest of the time
+ Another item to license and pay insurance on
+ Trailer bearings and brakes take more maintenance than wheel bearings or brakes on a toad do
+ Another item (24' long) to store either in the RV park, at home or paid storage
+ Trailer is more weight (2,500 - 4,000#) to tow around and not needed especially if you have a class C MH
+ The expense of buying the tailer
+ And I'm sure there are more reasons

In two years I've only had to unhook the toad twice. Actually I only remember doing it once, but then I usually never learn something the first time, so I'm sure there was a second time.......

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Plan correctly and you don't have to back up. In 15 years of towing, I have had to unhook only twice and if I had paid attention, those could have been avoided.