cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trouble Free Motorhome Owner?

Sooner_Schooner
Explorer
Explorer
I hear and read about motorhome owners and the problems that occur, but I really want to hear from those of you that have had no problems. If you are a motorhome owner that bought a new or nearly new Class A diesel pusher and got to enjoy it for six months or longer without any major issues, please let us know. I'm not talking about a cabinet door hinge or drawer type minor issue, just the big problems that made you park or take it to the repair shop before you could go out in it. I hope you are out there somewhere. Thank you.
2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher
34 REPLIES 34

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased our 03 Coachmen Cross Country new. It now has almost 68K miles on it. Our only major problem was last fall. We had a turbo charger failure. Didn't actually fail but discovered the output was down about 80%.

Must have been deteriorating slowly, never noticed much difference driving it. But now that it's been replaced, there is a big difference in power.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

tyoungs
Explorer
Explorer
2011 HR Endeavor - bought new in May 2011, one infant failure of hydraulic pump operating slides and jacks, supplier issue corrected in 1 week - only one other warranty item in first year (air dump valves wired wrong).
Year 2 (last year) - no dealer work required, only maint was yearly LOF.

Year 3 just started - 1 waaranty item corrected by Cummins (leaky front cover seal discovered during last year LOF)

Basically I would call that pretty good - we have been very happy with unit and it has a 23 ft long full wall slide that works perfectly.
Tom & Mary plus Lilli the Havanese
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B,
450 Cummins, Spartan K2
HRRVC #106803
2017 Buick Enclave toad:)
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6

HobbsHauler
Explorer
Explorer
I am not jinxing myself.....so I won't write that we have had one problem with a jack for $1000 in 30k miles, that is including 4 months in Alaska. I am not jinxing myself..........I am not jinxing myself....
Him and Me
'07 Fleetwood Discovery 40X
Tundra Toad
Tandem Tow Dolly
Harley, Road King
Klancy Mae, our Irish Setter

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
WE are very happy with our last two coaches. I am not going to brag as Murphey gets bored too easily. Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
2001 NationalRV Dolphin 33 footer. When new, maybe 15 small things to be fixed. All under warranty. MY problems started about 3 years ago after some 50,000+ miles....toilet, transmisssion, brakes....and looking forward to the "statistical" age where the water heater fails.

Still enjoying the thing.....nothing like it.

charles
Explorer
Explorer
Good topic, when I purchased our 2011 Winnebago and started reading the posts on here and other forums, I was afraid to drive it but in 18 months I had 3 minor warranty problems, 2 of which I could have repaired myself and the third was just a slide topper that was damaged at the dealership. I've often wondered home may potential first time buyers have decided not to jump in after reading all of the negative topics that are posted. I just read the one about the 11 year old Cummins engine, that's scarey, worse yet are the ones that have to go back to the factory for delamination, twisted slides, leaks, etc. and not being able to use them for weeks or months. Owners stuck in campgrounds because their slides won't go in or their levellers won't go up, I can go on and on so it is refreshing to see a post asking for positive feedback. I feel I have been very lucky with mine.

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Have owned two new Class A gassers, both Georgetown. First one had zero issues and no warranty work. Traded it in on a bigger model and had noisy gears in the differential and the air compressor failed, both completely covered by Ford at no cost to me.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Amost 10 years full timing in our 2003 Revolution. Went through the Norcold fridge (replaced with residential) and a washer dryer and that's about it. Minor stuff other than that. Over 100K on it now. I have temp sensor problem on my Onan generator that I will have to deal with someday (other than bypass). Other than that, looks like new inside and not bad outside. We bought it to last 20 years. We are halfway there. :).
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
JTHarley wrote:
shaneperch wrote:
I am surprised I thought that the Gulfstream being an aircraft company would understand quality and be the best. I am surprised.

Not the same company.......
Gulf Stream Coach, Inc. grew out of Fairmont Mobile Homes.

Gulfstream Aerospace Corp. grew out of Grumman Aircraft Engineering Co.

Two completely different companies with different spellings and names. Now Grumman you might be able to stretch into having some RV connections. But they would be very long stretches of the imagination.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
In my mind troublefree would be zero issues, and finding someone who has had zero issues with an RV is not likely. I separate into 2 areas, that which you live in when parked, and that which moves you from place top place (Drivetrain and chassis). Now if you are talking about the drivetrain and chassis, I have only had to replace the house batteries and make sure the regular service has been done. Those are planned costs. So far on the moving house I have had to replace a few things, shower door latch, slide topper on one of the slides, and it is at the shop right now for the door awning. So far, so good.

You also have to remember, folks don't post when everything is working, they only post when they need help or get frustrated with it.
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new gas Dutch Star and like all new MH's I had to sort out the problems and had quite a few issues for two years. Traded it in for a used Fleetwood Expedition and in the last 8 years of fulltiming I've had to replace two inverters, tires, one engine overheating issue and a turbo hose. Yes, I've been very lucky but I do take good care of the small issues before they become a problem. Nearly a 100 thousand miles on it now.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

funtime
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned a 3 Winnies, all DP. 1999 bought used. Other than replacing a heater core it was trouble free. Nothing. Bought a 2006 Winnie Meridian and just sold it with no problems at all except replaced a fresh water pump (Shurflo). It was the best I have owned so far. Just purchased a 42QD Tour so, to early to tell. All were garaged which I believe makes a big difference. All had or have Cummins engines. Hope that helps.

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've owned our 1993 Holiday Rambler Navigator for 10 years and haven't had any significant problems. I would recommend any of the high end Holiday Rambler rigs (Navigator, Imperial or Spector) up to around 2005 or so. Ditto with the identical Monaco products for the same time frame. (Monaco bought HR in the late 90's from Harley Davidson, who owned it for only a year or two, so ownership and quality control kept changing, sometimes not for the best.)

From what I understand, Newmar makes a very well built rig and you might want to consider a coach made by them.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
shaneperch wrote:
I am surprised I thought that the Gulfstream being an aircraft company would understand quality and be the best. I am surprised.

Not the same company.......
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Not new (or even close to it), but our 15 year old American Eagle has been virtually trouble free in 4+ years of ownership and 30K miles.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS