cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Printer

MainerBob
Explorer
Explorer
As we plan for a long winter trip we find we want a printer with us. What are your suggestions for one that is rugged and small. It doesn't have to run on 12v but should be easily storeable. Color would be nice too. Thanks for your help.

Bob
2007 Keystone Everest 293P, 32'
2006 Silvarado 2500HD Duramax, SRW, CC, Short Bed, 4x4
Sidewinder,16K Draw-Tite Slider
Chloe, Standard Poodle
Charlie, Tibetan Terrier
16 REPLIES 16

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
M GO BLUE wrote:
Ok...take all the above suggestions and add that the printer needs to be wirelss to connect to a laptop and android phone...any suggstions there?

The HP model listed in my previous post has Bluetooth; many of the home/home office printers may also have Bluetooth, but most of them have Wi-Fi networking.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I carry a full size "home" printer Pixima IP 4300) I got it because at the time it was the only US home grade printer that could squirt ink onto Ink-Jet CD's other than Epson and I won't buy Epson after my daughter's C-82.

Today there are some others that can do that.

Works great.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

M_GO_BLUE1
Explorer
Explorer
Ok...take all the above suggestions and add that the printer needs to be wirelss to connect to a laptop and android phone...any suggstions there?

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison

2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel

Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

Explorer
Explorer
We also have the Canon PIXMA IP-100. It is small and we fit it into a laptop case to protect it while traveling. It must be connected by USB to the computer. It is full color (two cartridge system - black and color) and will print a regular 8.5x11 sheet of paper (or smaller or larger up to legal size). We use it for business while on the road. It can be used for photos also. It has good print quality. It is very rugged and made for travel. This is much better than dealing with an all in one that is much larger and you have to deal with remembering if the scanner head has been locked down for travel.

As to clogged heads. We pull it out every few months and print a test page to keep the ink flowing if we have not used it in that time. Cartridges last us a very long time.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
I bring an Epson Small-In-One and a set of the smallest ink cartridges I can find for it. Not fast and the ink often dries out between trips (often works to just clean and then wrap in plastic), but works "good enough" for printing/copying maps, etc. when using the trailer as a base camp for hiking trips.

Steve

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thunder Mountain wrote:
Over the years I've had really bad luck with ink printers that I use very infrequently in the RV. They clog up from disuse. Last winter I purchased a cheapo toner based printer. Can't remember the brand. It's packed away in the MH awaiting next winter.

X2

ALL inkjet printers suffer from the same lack of use problem, you MUST use them or risk loosing a set of extremely expensive ink cartridges.

Toner based printers do not suffer from this issue, toner will not go bad nor dry out, basically will outlast you, your children, grandchildren and beyond.

However toner based printers do have one quirk.. toner getting anywhere you don't want. Simply put, the bumping and banging around from traveling may cause some toner to spill on some of the internals of the printer. If that happens do not use air, nor standard sweeper to remove unless you want a cloud of black dust all over things. Otherwise a perfect choice for occasional printing.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over the years I've had really bad luck with ink printers that I use very infrequently in the RV. They clog up from disuse. Last winter I purchased a cheapo toner based printer. Can't remember the brand. It's packed away in the MH awaiting next winter.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
I saw an HP (can't remember model #) at WalMart the other day for $30. Inkjet. Small footprint. Save the original packing and it should travel safely. Just a printer, not an all-in-one. If I needed one, that's what I'd buy.
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
We carry an HP Photosmart 6520 that replaced an HP 4410 that died after a year. I always set it on the floor under the dinette when we travel and have no problems with it.

Don't print photos anymore, but is good for color printing, which DH needs for his job.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I don't print very much these days, but when we are out for a longer time I sometimes have the need.

So I carry the cheapest Canon, like $35, from WalMart. In a brown bag on the closet floor. Never had anything malfunction on it.

**Sounds like the poster above me does about the same.

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
We don't print much on the road, we just store it on external hard drive, usually just print tickets and park info. Got tired of dealing with replacing high dollar ink cartridges. So from now on, when inks gone or dried out (yes I tape em) I will just buy a new color printer/scanner/fax on sale. Just bought one at Walmart for $28.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
We use a all in one HP Deskjet. It's a color printer, scanner and copier. It is small when closed up about 12W X 10D X 8H. We just leave it sitting on the desktop on a non-slip pad when travelling. It's about 5 years old and still works great.

It's a Deskjet 1200 series not sure if they still make them.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine is small footprint HP DESKJET with color ink... The cheapest I could find haha... Got it at Office Depot i think it was... Seems to take the punishment pretty good in my off-road POPUP setup... Of course everything has it locked down position in the POPUP trailer makeshift ops console.

I use it mostly with my MARS STATION Radio setup - works well with my Dell M90 laptop docking station with monitor, keyboard, and speakers setup... Use the Verizon MIFI 2200 WIFI HOTSPOT setup for getting on the internet.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
HP Deskjet 1000 printer from Walmart. Small printer that folds up. Not speedy but gets the job done. $29.98. Have used an older model for 5 years. Not wireless. I just sit it on the top shelf in our closet which has a lip to prevent it from sliding off. Wedge it between 2 bins. Put the cords in a plastic zip lock storage bag. L 16.0 x W 16.81 x H 9.8
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi