cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV gone bust ... Replacements?

Getup_ngo
Explorer
Explorer
An 8-year-old Jensen flatscreen TV went south. Do I have to use an RV-specific replacement or can I go to Best Buy?

Thanks!
Janice and Annie, the snotty poodle
2008 Four Winds Windsport, 3 slides
Toad: 2011 Honda CRV/Blue Ox towing system
22 REPLIES 22

MrWizard
I like happy endings
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Getup_ngo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone. I ended up replacing both the front & bdrm TVs with Samsungs. I managed to fit a 40" smart TV in the living room. Yay! (Late at night I was able to hijack the park's wifi to watch Netflix.)

Truly spoiled now.
Janice and Annie, the snotty poodle
2008 Four Winds Windsport, 3 slides
Toad: 2011 Honda CRV/Blue Ox towing system

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
anything designed for 12 volt DC.. knows it will see 15 volts during a charge cycle and will handle it without issue...

for any 12 volt battery to be changed.. voltage MUST be over 13.6 to do REAL charging.. even at 2 amps.. otherwise it will take days if not weeks.

as a television, Radio, LED lights... all work between 11.5 to 16 volts, DC and filtered. and YES a battery being charged is also a Filter to its devices.
within reason.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First: There is no such thing as an RV specific TV.. Just some that are marketed that way but are really no differnet than the house model.

THERE ARE, however, TV's that are designed to run on 12 or 14 VDC (my Samsung is 14VDC) from a "power Brick" (Actually we call those converters in another space in the RV) If you plan on boondocking, one of these might be of interest.

Some folks worry that the 13.6 Volt (normal) or 14.6 (Charging) voltage of the RV power system is too high for a 12 volt.. And to that I comment my Samsung is 14 volt.. WOrks well with 12 but handles the higher voltages well too.,
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Use any TV that will fit the space,

Mmmmmmm . . . I suggest OP makes sure whatever he buys has a QAM or "digital" tuner as some campgrounds have digital cable.

New TVs are only required to have OTA ATSC tuners. QAM tuners are optional.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
I have no relationship with RiteAid besides being a customer once in a while. I picked up this 19" TV today for just under $80 including tax. You have to have their discount card, but that is free, and only takes a few minutes to sign up for one. It is powered by a "power brick" that plugs into the wall, but actually operates on 12v DC. It is pretty easy to spice a lighter socket plug into the wire, and run the TV directly from the battery when you don't have electric hookups - cheaper and more efficient than an inverter. I had a very similar 13" model for over 6 years that did the job.

Craig TV
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
pyoung47 wrote:
I have a 19 inch that uses a 12 volt wall wart. I can power it from the battery when off grid. Bought it at Wal Mart.

I replaced my old CRT TV with a modern 22" with a 12v wall wart. Being a completely different shape and size I mounted it where I wanted it and now we use the old TV cabinet for other things.

Being 12v it is easy to find a 12v power source, any light will do, especially if you have replaced the incandescent lights with LEDs. I don't use the wall wart anymore.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
We have a Samsung 40" in our LR and I'm very impressed with it.

The other 3 are no names but they're OK (except the outside one is useless in the daytime).

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
There has to be a way to mount it on a good swivel/tilt bracket.
That's what I did.

There is a forum member (can't find the pix) that did something so simple to mount a TV. He got piano hinge and mounted it on the end of the first in line upper cabinet. Swings out to any angle you need depending where you are sitting and swings back the other way to be completely out of the way for travel.

and this one:

Albeit it was in a bay door but look at the simple parts he bought to extend and swivel the TV in different directions Same could be used inside too. Sorry I don't have forum members name for this pix to give credit where credit is due for this DIY!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Just acquired one of these. Having trouble finding a mount for it....:B

New Tv
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
installed a Samsung 32 inch last fall ( 720 HD ). hard bolted to cabinet top.

Best Buy, if its viewing angle is not good.. take it back and try a different model.

Just walk closely down the row of TV's viewing them at a great angle. You will quickly see which has the best viewing angle.

I Did my homework... I read technical manuals.. so I read up on the better brands.. and posted numbers...

retired auto mechanic.. so I had to read the latest tech manuals on cars hitting the dealerships before they arrived.

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 19 inch that uses a 12 volt wall wart. I can power it from the battery when off grid. Bought it at Wal Mart.

kgie1217
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a refurbished 32" Vizio Smart LED HDTV 1080p from Walmart's website for $179. I replaced my original 32" in the camper with the new 32" Vizio. I use the old 32" for my outdoor TV needs. The Vizio has done great and the HD picture is spot on.
2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Ultralite 250RB

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
installed a Samsung 32 inch last fall ( 720 HD ). hard bolted to cabinet top.

Best Buy, if its viewing angle is not good.. take it back and try a different model.

Just walk closely down the row of TV's viewing them at a great angle. You will quickly see which has the best viewing angle.