cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 questions about using the pink stuff

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
I have always been a line blower outer till we got our B (which never seems to get all the water out when blowing). I have a couple questions since I have to use pink stuff in there...

1. Is the pink stuff (I got the Camco Arctic Ban) OK to sit in the toilet or will it be bad for the seal? I can't get the pink stuff out because if I flush - more pink stuff comes out of the lines.

I use the Thetford Toilet Seal Lubricant and Conditioner in our trailer as I don't use the pink stuff in the lines.

2. Will the plumbing at the water inlet be OK since there is no pink stuff in there, I'm assuming there is still water. Or will the water mix with the pink stuff in the lines and then will that be enough to keep it from freezing?

Just trying to be safe...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
17 REPLIES 17

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
If a second person is near by, you can get help flushing out the city water connection, I have had either my dw, kids, or neighbor bump the water pump power switch while I push the city water check valve in. 2 people, 1 minute total time. Works well

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Community Alumni
Not applicable
On the toilet question, I mix some olive oil in with the pink in the bowl.
Olive oil is not petroleum based and helps keeping the seal from drying out.

After winterizing I pour the olive oil in the toilet, flush a little down, then pour in some pink and leave it.

Olive oil typically freezes at 37-38F but like rv anti-freeze it sort of gels but does not expand.

In the spring I just flush with water.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that the cheap RV anti-freeze now contains ethanol. Those that never had a problem for many years were using a non-ethanol product most of that time. Look at the label and buy the good stuff, I see that Walmart has the new StaBil brand that contains no ethanol.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
To get the pink into the fresh water inlet. run the pink through the entire system. then relieve pressure by turning off the pump and opening a faucet. go out side and push in gently on the inlet spring and let the water trickle out till its pink. don't do it under pressure or you could damage the valve.

pink stuff is the only way to know you have 100% of the water out!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
OP here...

Thanks for all the help and suggestions! I just put a new seal in the toilet bowl this past summer so didn't want to wreck it... Looks like all will be well. As far as the city water inlet - I think I'll do the blowing first, then add the pink stuff - might as well...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
I've never done anything with the city water inlet on either MH we've owned. On both it sat high enough that any water in it would drain into the tank.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
1. There should be no water left in the lines after pumping pink stuff through them and just flush your toilet a few times to get the pink stuff through it's inlet valve, etc and any pink residue won't hurt the toilet.

2 I always use a syringe to squirt a bit of pink stuff into the the city water inlet. Otherwise your check valve can freeze and break.

Jack
Jack & Nanci

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are used to blowing out the lines, do that first and then add the anti freeze. I doubt that much water will force back into the city water input.
If you do push the little plunger on the inlet, stand to the side.Like others have said don't ask how I know, and every year I still manage to get sprayed on either the trailer or the camper or once both.:S
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I have always heard the pink stuff is good for the seals. The stuff I use feels a little oily. I see no problem and have had no problem over the last 20 years.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
To get antifreeze into the city fill let the pressure off the system by opening a faucet somewhere. Then pull the little filter screen from the city fill and press the spring loaded check valve in. You should get a squirt of water/antifreeze mix at first. If you don't think you have enough pure antifreeze coming out pressure up and let it off again. Press the check valve and it should shoot pure antifreeze. Stand to the side when you do it. Ask me why I know that.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
1. I would use a Propylene glycol based product that does not contain ethanol to help the seals and the aftertaste.

2. Use a Valterra P23507VP Plastic Hand Pump Kit to inject antifreeze into the city water connection.. Be sure to turn the water pump off and open a faucet or it will not have any place to go.

Also, use the Valterra on the black water tank flush fitting until you have flushed the fresh water in the line into the tank. Don't worry, no black water as been through this fitting.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The fresh water inlet that still has normal water in it WILL freeze. You have to do something with it too.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
I would attend to draining the water inlet of water. To do this on our RV I remove the cone shaped screen at the water inlet then push in on the check valve until pink stuff shows up. Watch that you do not get the pink stuff in the face.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
1. I would open the cold water at the sink to relieve system pressure, then flush. Then pour in the seal conditioner.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS