cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 C-Max and CR-V With Automatic Transmission

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
If you tow a 2014 Ford C-Max or 2014 Honda CR-V, which trim level do you tow four-down?

We are unexpectedly in the market for a new tow'd vehicle. We've narrowed it down to the 2014 models of Ford C-Max or Honda CR-V. We're doing research and asking questions to service staff (not salesmen), but are still getting conflicting answers on what can be towed four down.

Have read about problems with the 2014 C-Max SEL level keyless feature, but don't know if they've been resolved. Anyone towing an SE or SEL four down?

Also, we are getting conflicting answers on the 2014 CR-Vs. One dealership says that the regular two-wheel drive can be towed four-down, but NOT the AWD models. Other service department said AWD can be towed four down.

Anyone with any first-hand knowledge with either of these two 2014 models?

Thanks in advance.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!
31 REPLIES 31

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
afrescop wrote:
willald wrote:
afrescop wrote:
jsmart wrote:
afrescop wrote:
Our 2013 C-Max SE has over 41,000 miles since late March, 2013. About 5,000 more miles were added as a toad for our MH. It is a fantastic vehicle even with $1,000 Ford sent me for two decreases in the expected EPA mileage ratings.

Just remember to have a charge line installed between RV and C-Max because after about four hours of towing the car will be dead without a source to keep power going. The brake lights and turn signals work off diodes with no problems.

Does the C-Max odometer continue to rack up miles when towed? I'm having the base plate and wiring done at CW, will get them to put the charge line in also. Thanks for the info.

Be sure that the installer of the charge line connects the line to the battery connection in the junction box!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. We purchased the blue ox base plate with the blue ox alpha tow bar, rock shield and wiring, having it installed this week. Thinking of purchasing a wind shield cover, there's a lot of windshield on those C-Max's.

Junction box? Maybe the Cmax is diffferent here, but on our Fusion hybrid, I don't believe there is such a junction box?

When I installed the charge line, I found there were battery + and - connections/terminals provided under the hood, for jump starting (battery is in the back). These terminals up front provided a very easy, convenient place to connect the charge line, so thats what I did. Sure was glad I didn't have to run the charge wire all the way to the back where battery was. ๐Ÿ™‚

Either way, it is definitely very important that you install a charge line for towing these Ford hybrids. There are several electrical systems that stay on when you are towing (no real way around it), that will drag the battery down pretty quickly without a charge line. I verified this once with an ammeter, found that there is/was a 3 amp (average) draw on the battery all the time when towing.

The junction box on the C Max is on the right side of the engine when standing facing toward the rear. There are several connections but the one that should be used connects directly to the battery.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
afrescop wrote:
jsmart wrote:
afrescop wrote:
Our 2013 C-Max SE has over 41,000 miles since late March, 2013. About 5,000 more miles were added as a toad for our MH. It is a fantastic vehicle even with $1,000 Ford sent me for two decreases in the expected EPA mileage ratings.

Just remember to have a charge line installed between RV and C-Max because after about four hours of towing the car will be dead without a source to keep power going. The brake lights and turn signals work off diodes with no problems.

Does the C-Max odometer continue to rack up miles when towed? I'm having the base plate and wiring done at CW, will get them to put the charge line in also. Thanks for the info.

Be sure that the installer of the charge line connects the line to the battery connection in the junction box!

Junction box? Maybe the Cmax is diffferent here, but on our Fusion hybrid, I don't believe there is such a junction box?

When I installed the charge line, I found there were battery + and - connections/terminals provided under the hood, for jump starting (battery is in the back). These terminals up front provided a very easy, convenient place to connect the charge line, so thats what I did. Sure was glad I didn't have to run the charge wire all the way to the back where battery was. ๐Ÿ™‚

Either way, it is definitely very important that you install a charge line for towing these Ford hybrids. There are several electrical systems that stay on when you are towing (no real way around it), that will drag the battery down pretty quickly without a charge line. I verified this once with an ammeter, found that there is/was a 3 amp (average) draw on the battery all the time when towing.

The junction box on the C Max is on the right side of the engine when standing facing toward the rear. There are several connections but the one that should be used connects directly to the battery.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
afrescop wrote:
jsmart wrote:
afrescop wrote:

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
jsmart wrote:
afrescop wrote:

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
No!! Towing mileage does not go on the odometer!!

We also use the Blue Ox base plate with our C-Max.
2014 Thor Axis

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
afrescop wrote:

2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
jsmart wrote:
Which base plate are those C-Max towers using? Looking at the Blue Ox, Roadmaster and Demco, are there any other brands out there?
I use Blue Ox base plate, mainly because my Aventa II tow bar has given me 10 trouble free years.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the input.

We've purchased a 2014 CR-V EX AWD to replace our Ford Explorer.

After hearing how much everyone likes their C-Max, we've decided we'll look into the Energi model when we need to replace our Honda Civic Hybrid - which could be any minute now since that car has 180,000 miles on it.
It's his Super Power!

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Just traded our Jeep Wrangler for a 2014 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL. Loved the Jeep but it was a two door rag top manual. We needed a 4-door that easily towed. After much research, the C-Max looked the best for our needs. Which base plate are those C-Max towers using? Looking at the Blue Ox, Roadmaster and Demco, are there any other brands out there?
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Happily Retired wrote:

We have not been purchasing much gas for our Energi!! ๐Ÿ™‚ However, to access the fuel fill you have to release it from inside the car. With your car locked, that would make it much more difficult for vandals to mess with it.

That must be a feature exclusive to the Energi model as the 2014 SE and SEL models do not have the inside gas door release lever.

Thanks for the info on the Ford donut availability, Willald. That might be a good thing to have.
It's his Super Power!

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Of the three C-Max models, only the Energi qualifies for the Federal tax credit. One could argue that goes a long way to making up the price difference between the SEL hybrid and the plug in Energi.

While the C-Max doesn't have a spare, Ford gives you 5 years towing which will cover you in the event of a flat! I have already used this service because I stupidly hit a curb, and even though I did not contact them until after I was towed, they still reimbursed us for the cost of the tow. I think the donut is also a great idea, Will!

We have not been purchasing much gas for our Energi!! ๐Ÿ™‚ However, to access the fuel fill you have to release it from inside the car. With your car locked, that would make it much more difficult for vandals to mess with it.
2014 Thor Axis

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
lanerd wrote:
... does the normal hybrid also get a tax credit??

Generally speaking, no. Only the plug-in version gets that, as its considered one that can run solely off of electric power.

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Happily Retired 2 wrote:
lanerd wrote:
What is the advantage of a "plug in" over a regular hybrid? We are currently looking at hybrids for a family car...not for a toad.

Ro

While we bought our C-max Energi to tow, we were also looking for a car that got much better gas mileage than our truck and minivan. It had to have better head room than other cars that size and comfortable seating for 4-5. We originally looked at the CRV, Chevy Sonic, and Ford Focus. While at the Ford dealer we discovered the Ford C-Max!!

What we love about the Energi is that, unlike totally electric cars, or a gas hybrid, it has the ability to run on electric or gas. Since we can run on gas, we do not have to rely on finding a charging outlet before our electric miles run out. When it is at our house it is always plugged in to its own dedicated 110v outlet. That gives us 20+ electric miles every time we leave the house. If we go further than that in one trip then the gas engine seamlessly kicks in.

We have owned and driven ours daily for almost 8 months and have only used a total of 25 gallons of gas in all those months. At our overall average of 140mpg, we are getting 100 miles per gallon more than the comparable C-Max gas hybrid!!!!

Plus the Federal government gave us a $4007 tax credit! Hard to beat. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you for the info. Now I have another question. You said you got a tax credit for you plug in... does the normal hybrid also get a tax credit??

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....