cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Accurate Tire Guage

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was filling up my tires last night with my air compressor. I use a guage that connects to the air hose which was purchased from Harbor Freight. Filled up to 50 lbs, then checked with another guage I keep in my truck. It read 45 psi. Can anyone suggest an accurate tire pressure guage?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
31 REPLIES 31

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use this Accu-Gage because it goes to 100 psi. The E-rated tires on the burb need 80 psi, and the majority of gauges only read to 60 psi. I prefer analog to digital, it's easier to read without my cheaters.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
The analog dial gauge that I bought off the Snap-On truck many years ago tested good at the annual calibration checks required for working on aircraft.
It hasn't been tested since I retired from aircraft work, so I don't know if it is still accurate.
I imagine it is good enough, though.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

aihchris107
Explorer
Explorer
I have the digital accutire and trust it's accuracy. I have compared it with my stick guage made by camel which was rated by a leading consumer magazine as very accurate. Both read similar

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
After a little research a couple years ago, I went with a few of these, with different Max PSI and hoses/no hoses.
Clicky
Accu-Gage
http://www.getagauge.com/index.cfm
From what I understand, gauges tend to be more accurate in the middle of their PSI range. One Max PSI for my trucks, one for the car, one for the motorcycles and a Presta valve unit for the mountain bikes. They're reasonably priced and make nice gifts, too.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like almost any gauge will be more accurate than an air hose gauge.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I have a HF Infrared Temp Gauge that tracks exactly with my Fluke Infrared Gauge that cost 6 times as much as the HF. ๐Ÿ™‚
BurbMan wrote:
jfkmk wrote:
I wouldn't expect anything purchased at Harbor Freight to be accurate.

Actually, their torque wrenches are very good, tested by Car Craft magazine and measured to within .2 ft/lb as accurate as the Snap-On models costing $$$ more.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
06Fargo wrote:
I have 3 tire gauges that don't agree with each other - 5 psi difference. I've been meaning to take them to my local tire shop and have them checked.

How do you know the local tire shop gauge is correct?
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have several, including a couple from HF, an Accutire gauge, a couple of Slime digital gauges, and a manual dually gauge. All read within a couple pounds of one another. Close enough for government work.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
jfkmk wrote:
I wouldn't expect anything purchased at Harbor Freight to be accurate.

Actually, their torque wrenches are very good, tested by Car Craft magazine and measured to within 0.2 ft/lb as accurate as the Snap-On models costing $$$ more.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
I have a digital gauge made by Accutire and it's the only one I use so I always know what the tire pressure is.
If you have more than one gauge you NEVER know what is correct!
This is true - which is why it's imprtant to have one that matches your TPMS!

We have 2 different gauges that say different things. The fancy fluid filled Powertank reads 4 pounds different than the TPMS, while the regular analog Victor one reads the same. The fluid filled one is the one on the air hose however. :R

Luckily we very rarely have to add air, so it's just plug in the TPMS, check that everything is good, and roll.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I have a digital gauge made by Accutire and it's the only one I use so I always know what the tire pressure is.
If you have more than one gauge you NEVER know what is correct!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have 3 tire gauges that don't agree with each other - 5 psi difference. I've been meaning to take them to my local tire shop and have them checked.

sail2liv
Explorer
Explorer
The one I have that is attached to hose from Harbor ft is always right with the TPMS......TPMS can have 2% error......

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
For $12.95, Camping World has one of the best tire gauges I have ever owned. I have a digital gauge from Snap-On that cost 4 times as much and it has never worked as well as my budget friendly Camping World gauge!
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

Tvov
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have found NAPA tire gauges to be very good. I have a tire gauge in the glovebox of each vehicle... so that even if the gauges are not quite exactly matching each other, at least all the tires on a vehicle are being checked by one gauge and the tires will be evenly filled.