cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Annode / WH plug

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Won't come out. So I opened the low point drains and let the water out that way. On my old TT, that drained the WH as well. But I really can't tell on this one, If the WH drained or not. I can say. Water ran out of the low points for a good long time.

Then blew out the lines, with all by pass valves open. Only got air out of the faucets. Think I'm good to go
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers
16 REPLIES 16

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:
stickdog wrote:
Never had a problem replacing mine guess because hw is used year round. Maybe OP should keep the anode rod/plug out till spring just remember to replace it then.

Nope it's back in. Not taking a chance of something making a home in the water heater. I'll get a new one in the spring. Have too. It's pretty well gone near the threads. It's only in it's second year. Seems like it getting used up awful fast.

No need to replace until sacrificial material wrapped around the steel core has deteriorated by 75%......still doing it's job and the steel core stays intact.
Just remove, clean 2X a year.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
Hook up to city water and let it start to fill your water heater tank with the anode rod out. Then use a small steel wire brush in it to clean the rust out of the threads. Turn water off and then run the anode rod in and out a few times. Turn water back on and clean it again with wire brush.

When you put your anode rod back in, use thread tape or similar liberally and it will help keep them from rusting together so bad.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
stickdog wrote:
Never had a problem replacing mine guess because hw is used year round. Maybe OP should keep the anode rod/plug out till spring just remember to replace it then.

Nope it's back in. Not taking a chance of something making a home in the water heater. I'll get a new one in the spring. Have too. It's pretty well gone near the threads. It's only in it's second year. Seems like it getting used up awful fast.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I use an extension rod (so I have 6-12 inches longer length), big socket wrench, and the usual socket. So far, I've had decent luck in breaking mine free, although I always wrap the thing up with Teflon tape before it goes back in so I can get it out easily next year.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terryallan wrote:
OK. I got it off. Guess what. The low point draines DO drain the water heater. It didn't have a drop of water in it. I do need a new anode rod though. Just about eaten up.

Been a year since last time........so you might want to change that to twice a year.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK. I got it off. Guess what. The low point draines DO drain the water heater. It didn't have a drop of water in it. I do need a new anode rod though. Just about eaten up.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah. I'll get it out. I put some penetrating oil on it, let it sit, and try again. Felt like I was picking up the entire TT this time.

And it has only been since I last winterized it last year that the plug has been in there. But I guess it rusted in place.

And I did run the air thru the water heater.

When I opened the low points. Water ran out for like 15 minutes, That's why I though it may have drained the WH too.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
If you can borrow an electric rattle wrench, i bet it will spin right out.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I needed a 2 foot pipe on the end of the breaker bar... to get mine to turn.

but I did not tighten it back as much.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sooner or later you will need to replace the anode. You might as well get it out now, using a bar and Skip's trick to remove it. Once out, the teflon tape works for me, to aid in removel next time, as well as make a good seal.

Jerry

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
One trick to removing the plug is to tighten it more then take it out
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
IF your WH doesn't have check valves in the lines:

Pressurize the system with air into the city water connection. Disconnect the air hose, the check valve in the city water inlet will hold the pressure.

Then open the low point cold drain.

Repeat as necessary. The WH will get an air bubble in it and force the water out the cold inlet (if it doesn't have a check valve.)
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......