cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

batteries

Selkie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Keystone Springdale 179 RD. Getting it ready for a trip to Alaska this June. The trailer has two series 24 deep cycle batteries which are kept meticulously water filled and have a 100 watt solar panel to keep them charged. I have noticed that when I went dry camping in January, the batteries are down a little more than in the past and take a little longer to charge. I have LED lights in the trailer and only turn on the lights that I need. The batteries are 3 years old and live in Arizona summers. My main question is should I get new batteries prior to the Alaska trip, and if so, can I replace them with two or four golf cart batteries? My batteries are in two plastic battery boxes and kept locked with heavy brackets. I would like to continue using those boxes and locking brackets. Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Selkie wrote:
My main question is should I get new batteries prior to the Alaska trip,
I would run the existing as is.
Lots of miles each day will give them a nice boost along with the solar.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Testing battery SG with a hygrometer would be a neat trick :W ... I'm sure you mean a hydrometer. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks for the correction/clarification.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have any 12 volt outlets in your camper ? If you do a cheap voltage tester that plugs into them would give you a much more accurate reading then the built in gauge and only set you back 20 bucks or less.

They are not perfect but, a big improvement over what you have now.

Something like this. I'm not promoting this one. It may be junk. It is just the first one I found.

http://www.amazon.com/UEB-Temperature-Rotatable-Cigarette-Cellphone/dp/B0192T8SVC/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF...

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Trojan makes a 105 Ah 12 volt battery in a size 24 foot print. Bit expensive though. You also should have about 200 watts of solar but 300 or 400 would be better. Looking at something with bars isn't telling you a lot. Use a good volt meter before and after the charge controller.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
Testing the specific gravity with a hygrometer might help complete the picture.

Testing battery SG with a hygrometer would be a neat trick :W ... I'm sure you mean a hydrometer. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
If you will be dry camping and anticipate needing to run the furnace (likely up there even in June) you will want more battery capacity.

You may need more electrical capacity but maybe not the batteries themselves.

100 watts is not much charging capacity and even if it is working as designed might not be keeping the batteries topped up......or might be floating too high.

I would start by checking the charging and float voltage at the batteries. Testing the specific gravity with a hygrometer might help complete the picture.

Giving us the make and model of the solar controller would be helpful. Someone on here should be able to tell you what to expect from the one that you have.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Selkie wrote:
Just wondered if the 2 golf cart batteries would be better than the two deep cycle 24 batteries I have now, and will they fit in the same boxes.

You already have your answer in the 3rd post, except to say that a pair of 6 volt GC-2 batteries (~230 AH} won't double the approximate 160 AH offered by your existing 12 volt G24s but nonetheless that approximate 70 AH increase is significant and certainly worthwhile considering the type of trips you're planning. GC-2s will have the same footprint as your G24s but won't fit your existing G24 boxes because they're taller ... suitable GC-2 boxes though are relatively inexpensive.

Selkie
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your info. When I dry camp, I use my Wave propane catalytic heater first thing in the morning, and just before bedtime. Don't worry-I crack the windows for this. Only other power used is the fridge(propane), the water pump,and to recharge my smartphone. I have only checked the power level on my panel inside. I have a voltmeter, but I guess I would have to check it in the AM when still dark. The panel inside has 4 bars when fully charged, but down to 3 bars by morning. It goes back to 4 bars an hour after sunrise, but now taking about 2 hours to recharge. I will be doing more dry camping in Canada and Alaska and considering biting the bullet and buying 2 new batteries prior to the trip.Just wondered if the 2 golf cart batteries would be better than the two deep cycle 24 batteries I have now, and will they fit in the same boxes.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
First I would clean the solar panel. Then check all the battery connections.
What is the battery voltage in the morning when you are dry camping?
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
A pair of golf cart batteries will double your current capacity ...

Not quite ... a pair of 12 volt G24s will offer perhaps 160 AH, a pair of 6 volt GC-2 batteries will offer ~ 230 AH, as will a pair of 12 volt G31s. The best choice depends not only on use but the space available to mount batteries on the trailer.

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
You probably can not fit 4 X 6 volt batteries in those boxes, so maybe consider two larger capacity 12volt deep cycle batteries( not dual purpose).
Measure and see if you can fit size group 31( 12.99 X 6.81x 8.43 inches) to replace your current group 24 ( 10.25 X 6.65 X 8.31 inches)
A 31 group will be , let's say 115 aH, where your 24 's are perhaps, 70 aH.
Also, remember, that hot outdoor temps can wear down a battery faster, just like cold temps can( say like here in Buffalo) have a great trip!
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
If you will be dry camping and anticipate needing to run the furnace (likely up there even in June) you will want more battery capacity. A pair of golf cart batteries will double your current capacity and have the same footprint as your current set up; however they will be taller.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if your using the furnace at night it,ll pull a battery down quick, you could go with two 12v agm batteries they hold up real good.