cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BEWARE ... Kissimmee & Orlando - toll roads

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We are vacationing (not camping ) in Kissimee. It seems like like everywhere you go around here except I4 they hit you with tolls. You can't go more than 10 miles (some less) without getting a toll booth. What gets me is you pay a toll and your exit is less than a half mile up the road, they set these up before the off ramp to make sure they get you more than once.

Then there are the unmanned ones. Watch out for these because they only accept coins, you can't back up. I threw in 98cents of the $1.00 fee and got my picture taken ( in a rental car) so make sure you smile. Can't wait for that added bill to our trip.

Just about every intersection has ticket cameras. You will see many people being added to the states scrap book. These intersections are much bigger than those in my home town and take you twice as long to get through. Just a suggestion ... If the light turns yellow do everything you can to stop. I suspect I received a token of the local authorities appreciation here as well.

It kind of grinds you after spending all the money we are in local restaurants, universal studios, Epcot, stores, etc. It keeps you on your toes. Then the locals get upset because your leery of doing something wrong on their roads and you aren't moving fast enough for them, even though your doing the speed limit. Many 1 finger salutes.

Now I know why we camp.
27 REPLIES 27

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
I moved to Tennessee from Florida three years ago. I still maintain my SunPass transponders for when I go back to visit family and friends. It also works on North Carolina toll roads through a reciprocal agreement. I get a break on the toll and when the toll account gets low, the system automatically replenishes from my bank account. You can get a "sticker" transponder for $5 at a Publix Supermarket or a transportable one for $25 from SunPass. The $5 transponder is practically free as it comes with a $5 toll credit. Get one and not have to worry about toll by plate or having change for the baskets on the entrance ramps.
Complain about the tolls if you must, but that seems to be the wave of the future. It's the only way that roads are getting built in this era of declining fuel tax revenue and fuel efficient vehicles. Of course you don't HAVE to tale a toll road if you plan ahead, I lived in Central Florida for years and hardly ever used the toll road system and got around fine. But the toll roads are faster and more convenient. You pay for the service or not, your choice.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

MTPockets1
Explorer
Explorer
The toll routes are convenient, but the locals know how to get around and avoid the toll roads. We were in Kissimmee two months. Set the GPS to avoid tolls and it worked out well.
2012 3055RL Big Horn - Dexter upgraded axles - G rated LT Tires
MorRyde, Genset, Dual Panes, 2 A/C, Yeti Package
2013 F350 DRW 4x4 Crew King Ranch

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Chicago has unmanned cash only tolls on the entrance and exit ramps. People do a rolling stop and throw at these tolls. If they miss they don't get out they just throw more money at it and keep on rolling.

So Real simple when you are short.........
Just open the door and look on the ground. I found There is usually no less than a couple of bucks in change right on the ground at all cash tolls to help you make pay your toll. :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
Stars101 wrote:
camperforlife wrote:
et2 I understand your complaint but if you were at Walmart and gave the cashier $.98 for a $1.00 item and left without a receipt you would get stopped at the door. You can be assured that you will receive a ticket for your .02 shortage plus a hefty fine. The ticket will cost you way more than putting in whatever bill you had available and overpaid the toll. Trust me, been there done that.

Unless I read the OP wrong, his issue was that the automated toll booth ONLY accepted coins - not bills. So he only had $0.98 in loose change. Unless he exited his car and begged for an additional $0.02 from other drivers (dumb idea) he was stuck just driving away...

Try being in NY. We have those too and it's A LOT more than a $1.00 toll being collected - all in coins. Trips up even natives some days when you get in the wrong lane.

Yes, this is correct, coins only. You can't back up as it's a one way road with people behind you. It was bad enough I was looking for every penny I could find. .98 cents of the dollar toll was all I could scrape up. Instant ticket for me. With all the technology you'd think they have a credit card reader. Nope, just as happy to write you a ticket for much more than the original toll, getting you twice. It's a scam if you ask me.

I highly suspect there is a lot of cash &coin being collected. Just wonder how many fingers it goes through.

That stinks, I assumed it would take bills as well.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a couple of new inventions that help me avoid getting on toll roads unintentionally. One is call a "map". The other one is "GPS" or something like that.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
It takes forever to get anywhere down there and several rolls of quarters and bundle of ones and fives.
First time we spent forty dollars to get out of the area and over to the Everglades.
A young lady at the Outback, I think told us of having to pay 10,00 a day, in tolls each way to and from work. She probably mad not much more than minimum wage.
What is Florida doing with all the taxes, fines and tolls?

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Re: Sign saying "Cash Only" - in some states you get scr*wed b/c when you roll up to the unmanned booth it is COINS only. I'm sorry, but only accepting coins should not be labeled as "cash".

In a 'cash" lane I expect to be able to use bills too and receive change. Using signage that says "cash" when they mean "coins" is just plain wrong.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder what would happen if a person (not the OP just some random person) was 2 cents low in the toll then left the state never to return? I doubt they are going to extradite you for 2 cents. I suppose in this credit happy society something like that could hurt your credit score.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Stars101 wrote:
camperforlife wrote:
et2 I understand your complaint but if you were at Walmart and gave the cashier $.98 for a $1.00 item and left without a receipt you would get stopped at the door. You can be assured that you will receive a ticket for your .02 shortage plus a hefty fine. The ticket will cost you way more than putting in whatever bill you had available and overpaid the toll. Trust me, been there done that.

Unless I read the OP wrong, his issue was that the automated toll booth ONLY accepted coins - not bills. So he only had $0.98 in loose change. Unless he exited his car and begged for an additional $0.02 from other drivers (dumb idea) he was stuck just driving away...

Try being in NY. We have those too and it's A LOT more than a $1.00 toll being collected - all in coins. Trips up even natives some days when you get in the wrong lane.

Yes, this is correct, coins only. You can't back up as it's a one way road with people behind you. It was bad enough I was looking for every penny I could find. .98 cents of the dollar toll was all I could scrape up. Instant ticket for me. With all the technology you'd think they have a credit card reader. Nope, just as happy to write you a ticket for much more than the original toll, getting you twice. It's a scam if you ask me.

I highly suspect there is a lot of cash &coin being collected. Just wonder how many fingers it goes through.

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Florida Sun Pass in my truck. I am from out of state and maintain that account. When I travel down there I plan my route and if I arrive when traffic is not that good the toll roads are a better choice.

They do have cameras and toll by plate. Figured I would rather do a toll road than to be in heavy traffic.

With a Sun Pass since 2011 I never had a problem.

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
camperforlife wrote:

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Newbiecampers wrote:
et2 wrote:
We are vacationing (not camping ) in Kissimee. It seems like like everywhere you go around here except I4 they hit you with tolls. You can't go more than 10 miles (some less) without getting a toll booth. What gets me is you pay a toll and your exit is less than a half mile up the road, they set these up before the off ramp to make sure they get you more than once.

Then there are the unmanned ones. Watch out for these because they only accept coins, you can't back up. I threw in 98cents of the $1.00 fee and got my picture taken ( in a rental car) so make sure you smile. Can't wait for that added bill to our trip.

Just about every intersection has ticket cameras. You will see many people being added to the states scrap book. These intersections are much bigger than those in my home town and take you twice as long to get through. Just a suggestion ... If the light turns yellow do everything you can to stop. I suspect I received a token of the local authorities appreciation here as well.

It kind of grinds you after spending all the money we are in local restaurants, universal studios, Epcot, stores, etc. It keeps you on your toes. Then the locals get upset because your leery of doing something wrong on their roads and you aren't moving fast enough for them, even though your doing the speed limit. Many 1 finger salutes.

Now I know why we camp.

Bolded part:

Then voice your displeasure with their policies and stop spending all the money. Florida would get the message pretty quick if all the tourist money started to dry up.

I wish U.S. citizens would realize the huge piece of power they have at their disposal: their wallet, and the power to not open it.

This is spreading to cost!

Not only do business get tourist dollars the state does also. This is what Hotel taxes are for, and toll roads, those that use pay.
I would much rather take the Florida turnpike from Orlando to Miami than I95! yes it cost about $16, but just the right amount of traffic.

Just got back from a trip to NYC, on a $269 a night room paid just over $43 in taxes! I was glad it was a Business trip.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Newbiecampers
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:

Now I know why we camp.

Bolded part:

Then voice your displeasure with their policies and stop spending all the money. Florida would get the message pretty quick if all the tourist money started to dry up.

I wish U.S. citizens would realize the huge piece of power they have at their disposal: their wallet, and the power to not open it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's what 'John Young Pkwy' and/or 'Orange Blossom Trl' are for........getting around without using the toll roads.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31