cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Candles in RV?

kelly94942
Explorer
Explorer
I've always understood that burning candles in RVs is frowned upon - but why, exactly? Is there something inherently more dangerous about candles in an RV than in a house? I read something that they cause 1 - 2% of fires in RVs, and I don't know how that compares to the percentage they might cause in a house. Can anyone shed some light on this great mystery?
Me and wonderful DH
Previous #1: 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 299BHS, 2007 Chevy Tahoe
Previous #2: 2010 Carriage Carri-Lite 36MAX1, 2008 Ford F-450 (full timed for two years)
Current: 2013 Dutchman Kodiak 300BHSL, 2004 Ford Excursion
29 REPLIES 29

TheAmRheins
Explorer
Explorer
Attended a rally a few years back and scented candles were part of the welcome packet.Short version camper caught fire I got covered with hot wax and owner of camper went to the hospital with severe burns to his hands. We were lucky and the camper survived also.
Ken & Kathy
Ruben(the cat)& Tiadora (nother cat)
2003 Chev 3500 D/A Dually
2009 Landmark Augusta

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
No use for them. One less thing in my rig to start a fire. There I said it. Can't imagine everybody likes them..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard of not burning in an RV. I think the ones in a glass are perfectly safe. I wouldn't trust plain tapers in a candlestick or a large tall candle by itself. I've seen how quickly flames become if one topples over.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Trlrboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a framed picture of a burning candle that I sit on the dinette table. I thought that was safe until someone told me I could break the glass in the frame and possible cut my hand. So to avoid that I now wear leather gloves while I am in the RV.
2010 Montana 3400RL
Chevy 2500HD Duramax

PHOTOLINK

pasco1215
Explorer
Explorer
We use battery scented candles inside for the glow and they are great night lights. No problem with regular flame candles, just like the convenience of the 5 hour timer and no worry of melted candle wax accidents on the furniture. Also, we like to use citronella candles outside at night when sitting around.
HAPPY RVing! :W
2007 TIFFIN ALLEGRO BUS "R RV"
2004 Saturn SUV "R VUE"
Our Co-Pilot "PASCO" the pearl white schnauzer

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
NanciL wrote:
rv2go wrote:
We may be in the minority, but we burn candles like this real often.

If you are in a minority, we are in it with you.
Our evening ritual prior to supper is some cheese and crackers or equal with a glass of wine. The candle going on the dinette table, with some good quiet music in the back ground while we rehash the fun we had during the day.
The only difference is we use a three wick candle.
If others frown upon it, that is their problem!

Jack L

We are in there with you. Being doing it for years and hope decades more----well at least two more decades!!
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
We use them all the time. One in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. Helps to burn off the humidity in the morning making it feel warmer. Same with using an inverted clay flower pot on the stove top. Never an issue.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

SampsonGirl
Explorer
Explorer
kelly94942 wrote:
I've always understood that burning candles in RVs is frowned upon - but why, exactly? Is there something inherently more dangerous about candles in an RV than in a house? I read something that they cause 1 - 2% of fires in RVs, and I don't know how that compares to the percentage they might cause in a house. Can anyone shed some light on this great mystery?

We burn candle's every night in the RV. I wouldn't leave them un attended for long but I don't see the harm. I think driving down the road 300 miles in one day in a RV is a bit more risky than some mood setting candles:p

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
I love candles and burn them at my stick home and in my MH. As with anything else you do it responsibly.
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
One issue to watch out for with the battery type of candles-some of them flicker in such a manner that they can cause seizures if you are susceptible. Any candle can, but the battery candles flicker in a less-random pattern which increases the risk. My concern is the same as others-it's such a confined area problems can escalate quickly. However, I've used jarred candles set in the sink with no issues.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
So can't burn a candle hmm.how many smoke in them or use the stove the oven grill on the outside .run the electric fireplace space heater and never think twice about it

Mike__Rose
Explorer
Explorer
What really makes me nervous is a fire pits near an RV and those tiki torches close to the awnings. Because of the grandkids we don't use the torches or lit candles.
See you on the road!

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
rv2go wrote:
We may be in the minority, but we burn candles like this real often.

If you are in a minority, we are in it with you.
Our evening ritual prior to supper is some cheese and crackers or equal with a glass of wine. The candle going on the dinette table, with some good quiet music in the back ground while we rehash the fun we had during the day.
The only difference is we use a three wick candle.
If others frown upon it, that is their problem!

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There was a family that lost some kids in a RV a few years ago that burned from candles. I think that burning candles in a tight area such as a RV is not a good idea.