cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Decal removal

lostscout
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best way to remove decals from the side of my RV?
18 REPLIES 18

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
CarolynandBob wrote:
I found a graphic shop here in San Diego. They removed the decals, Cut buffed the whole motor home and made new decals to the same size and the old. I had them change the colors. I also had them make a custom one for the back that has the name of our coach on it. It was spendy but worth it. 10 yr old RV looks new. If I remember correctly it was $1700.00. Forest River wanted $900.00 just for the decals.

Nice report - but "lacking"!..:(

Give 'em an "atta boy" - it's OK to name the business!

~

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Billinwoodland wrote:
I see several vendors for replacement decals on the internet. Anyone have a favorite vendor for this?

My plan is to not use plastic emblems any longer. I'm thinking about lazer cut ss. or aluminum designs and somehow stick them on.

cmarkj
Explorer
Explorer
If you want custom decals of almost any size, I would recommend vinyldisorder.com
I had a yellow Winnebago TT and I put a giant hornet on the back wall. I have a few smaller ones inside and out on my current TT. They have a large selection of different stuff, but also will do almost anything custom that you want or design. Very good prices too.
Always looking for the perfect site.

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
We used a local graphics shop to cover the 'ghosts' on our 2002 class a after using a plastic scraper and some automotive too gone. Covered them with our favorite football team - GO HAWKS.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
3 M makes a spray on decal remover , it lifts & softens ,wrinkles the old decal so you can peel/scrape it off rather easily. Then you need their adhesive remover . You can get these from a good auto parts store that sells paint supply's

CarolynandBob
Explorer
Explorer
I found a graphic shop here in San Diego. They removed the decals, Cut buffed the whole motor home and made new decals to the same size and the old. I had them change the colors. I also had them make a custom one for the back that has the name of our coach on it. It was spendy but worth it. 10 yr old RV looks new. If I remember correctly it was $1700.00. Forest River wanted $900.00 just for the decals.
2017 Vilano 375FL (Bob's Cabin Carolyn's Beach House)
2017 F350 Dually 4x4
8 Year old Pug/Terrier
9 Year old Puggle
8 Year old Boxer/Greyhound

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't use any specific vendor yet, but found several good prices on e-bay.
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

Beatfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I used a decal eraser wheel to remove all of the decals on my TT. Mine were so brittle that i'd get a tiny bit off at a time using a heat gun and scraper. A few inches of decal was taking an hour to remove. With the wheel I removed all of the decals in about 2.5 hours. It also removed the scummy line of old adhesive left around the pealed back decals. Just make sure you use a plug in drill. The constant running pulls down a rechargeable battery fast.
Time's sure fun when you're having flies!

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
Set in the sun, heat gun, razor blade, plastic scraper and goo gone. Just be careful.

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
I see several vendors for replacement decals on the internet. Anyone have a favorite vendor for this?
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
I used a hair dryer and a plastic scraper also. Not a fun job. I also used Goo-gone to get off the residue.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
ghost are forever,, unless you repaint.

on mine, White body, slight yellow ghost and the ghost are very shinny ...

I use Goo-Gone for the remaining adhesives
and a hair drier, heat gun. go slow. I was removing 11 year old decals.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
A single edge razor won't scratch a thing if you use it right.
I'd use a razor blade on the hood of a new car if I had to. Actually do sometimes if there's a stuck glob of sap or something
For me the method is different depending on the how the decal is coming up.
If it's newer and still pliable, usually can get it started with a razor.......or plastic scraper and then heat and peel. The right temp and rate and angle will take the glue with it and make the clean up easy.
Next is scrape/peel with a razor blade, use heat gun if it helps. No heat if they're too brittle. Glue clean up remaining I use lacquer thinner, acetone, prep sol, adhesive remover, etc. whatever I have laying around. Might scrape off solvent softened glue if it's not rubbing off easily.
The most stubborn decals or glue get an eraser wheel on a drill.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use a plastic scraper, not a razor blade----been there, done that. When you use Goo Gone, use the automotive stuff, and let it soak in for a few minutes---the residue comes right off.
The hard thing is to figure what to replace the stickers with.