cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FW trailer level when towing

IHnutz
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this has been discussed before but?? How far off level is acceptable for the trailer to be when towing? With the trailer hitched to the truck on a level spot it sets about 2 1/2" to 3" high in the front. The truck is a 4x4 so it sets high from the factory. The pin box is raised as high as it will go. I am using a goose-neck adapter (no flaming about this, it is what I have) with ball mounted permanently to a plate under the 8' bed. The adapter is adjusted to it's lowest position. There is about 4" to 5" between the frame of the trailer and the bed so there is no more room to lower the front of the trailer.

Your opinions - is this a serious problem or just a fact of life I have to live with?
2016 Sprinter 269FWRLS 33' 5th-wheel
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Crew-Cab
1954 IH R-112
1955 IH R132
1965 IH D1100
1954 IH Farmall Super M
Amateur "General Class" WD9GLK
14 REPLIES 14

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
2-3" I wouldnt even worry about it. Its when you get in the 5" range or higher that you need to take some action.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

IHnutz
Explorer
Explorer
OK I solved the problem . . . . . . bought a new 2016 Sprinter 269 FWRLS!! ๐Ÿ™‚

It rides almost level due to heavier pin weight and taller suspension and tires. Plus it makes the truck ride better with more pin weight. Probably not the cheapest solution but it sure made Momma happy.
1954 IH R-112
1955 IH R132
1965 IH D1100
1954 IH Farmall Super M

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Blazing Zippers wrote:
Our new truck is really high. We had to go to a frame shoppe (shop charges $$, shoppe charges $$$$$), and they welded in a three inch sub frame to raise the fifth wheel. This also raised the rear auto levelers out of harms way.
Tomorrow, I'm going to raise the pin box (on the trailer frame) two inches and there will still be 8 to 10 inches clearance truck to trailer. It doesn't really look too long legged, and almost makes the rig level.
Momma needs a Camping World step now due to the increased height.

Any chance of trimming the back of the pin box to get the distance above the bed rail a bit more?

Instead of a separate step get a four step fold away set.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our new truck is really high. We had to go to a frame shoppe (shop charges $$, shoppe charges $$$$$), and they welded in a three inch sub frame to raise the fifth wheel. This also raised the rear auto levelers out of harms way.
Tomorrow, I'm going to raise the pin box (on the trailer frame) two inches and there will still be 8 to 10 inches clearance truck to trailer. It doesn't really look too long legged, and almost makes the rig level.
Momma needs a Camping World step now due to the increased height.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Blah blah blah about weight on the rear axle. If your only 2-3 inches out and need an additional inch on the clearance point between your truck and rv, which I would also recommend, raise it the inch you need and enjoy your Rving!! Nearly all RVs have an equalizer on the springs at the connection point between the front and rear axle for just that reason....to equalize the weight between axles. Now in an extreme situation where your loaded heavy in the back of your rv such as a fully loaded toy hauler then you might have an issue but on a 5ver camper only you shouldn't have any problems. Yes Ideally it would be nice to have one set level but with truck heights of today sometimes its pretty hard to do. Been towing about 5" out of level for several years with a toy hauler loaded with 2 Harleys, frig always works and I've not had any issues to date!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
There is nothing like towing level! :B

Photo chopped! LOL. Just kidding. Looks great! My old truck, everything was level like yours, but new one, I'm a tad nose high, but okay on clearances.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is nothing like towing level! :B

I have 6-inches of clearance between the bottom of the trailer and the top of the bed rails, and the front of the trailer needs to be 1.5 inches lower for the trailer to be level. I see no justification for making any changes, in my situation.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IMO, your bigger issue here is bed rail clearance. If you have been getting by with 4-5"s of clearance, then you are being careful.

I would not be too concerned about being 2-3"s nose high, over the entire length of your FW. Yes it will transfer a little more weight on the rear axle, that could cause an issue, if your tires are just barely adequate for the weight they are carrying.

We all know level towing is best for FWs. I think I have noticed more folks towing 2-3 inches nose high, than ones that are level.

Bottom line, if you are getting by with bed rail clearance, have capable tires, and are considering an upcoming trade, I'd just leave it alone.

Jerry

IHnutz
Explorer
Explorer
I have had to replace both rear axle tires before the fronts already. I mentioned this to the dealer but they didn't seem too concerned. The axles are positioned under the springs from the factory so that isn't an option. If I could find an equalizer with a longer arm would it be unsafe? Assuming the distance between spring "eyes" is the same. Yes, I know what happens when you assume!!! MY loving bride is making noises about a new trailer within the next year so this may be a mute point but, something I need to watch for with a new(er) one.
1954 IH R-112
1955 IH R132
1965 IH D1100
1954 IH Farmall Super M

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is a bit off, but you really need to know exactly how far off you are. If the front is 3" higher than the back, at the axles you may only need to raise 1.5" to 2".

Best way to know exactly how much lift you need at the axles.

First find a level space, and part TV and 5er connected.

Then measure the distance from the top of the bed to the ground at the pin location, then add the desired 6" to that and call this Measurement1.

Now, without moving the 5er, disconnect the TV and move forward for clearance, and level the 5er now measure from the ground to the bottom of the 5er at the pin location, call this Measurement2.

Now time for the math, Measurement1-Measurement2 = the necessary lift needed at the axles for level tow.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Yes, you need to raise the trailer.

Even 2-3" off level is putting excessive weight on the back axle, which can cause problems down the road with excessive tire wear turning into blowouts.

That's exactly what our snowmobile trailer mfr told us.. OP needs to raise rear of trailer. Min of 6" is best between top of box and underside of 5er.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, you need to raise the trailer.

Even 2-3" off level is putting excessive weight on the back axle, which can cause problems down the road with excessive tire wear turning into blowouts.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
That's not enough bed rail clearance, and that's also pretty far off level. I had to axle flip my fifth wheel to get it to sit level - newer 4wd trucks are just really tall these days. Ram and Ford seem to be higher than the GMs. If your springs sit under your axle you can look into it. The new axle perches are only about $45 a pair from etrailer and it's a pretty easy job.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB