cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Golf Car(t)s

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Golf carts seem to be a part of camping for many -- especially seasonal campers. I also see a lot of transients who will bring them along in a toy hauler, in the bed of their truck, or on its own trailer behind a car, or sometimes their 5th wheel.

Some people are really into their golf carts to the point where they spend hundreds or thousands of dollars tricking them out with all sorts of accessories, and proudly drive around the campground to show them off. I get it -- it's a hobby to some -- a necessity to others.

What are your feelings on golf carts in campgrounds? Do they bother you? Do you enjoy checking out all of the wild stuff people do to them? Also, which do you prefer -- gas or electric? What are the advantages of one over the other?

Me? I don't mind them, but I despise the gas ones if they are continually cruising around my site with their loud engines. I like checking out what people have done to them, but I don't think I would get too much into the accessories if I had a golf cart. I would prefer to own an electric cart if I was in the market, but I don't know if they ae as practical as the gas-powered version.

What do you think?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers
30 REPLIES 30

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Bigdog wrote:
My other problem is with the electric carts that are soooo quiet that they sneak up on you. It's the same way with the electric and hybrid cars. They should make them bell the cat,or in other words,put a noise maker on them so that you can hear them coming.

You are not alone Electric Cars Need To Make Noise, NHTSA Says

As for gas vs electric: I have to buy a yearly permit at my local resort for $25 to have a gas golf cart. The electric cart is $25 plus $150 charging fee or $175 a year. Looks like I'll be getting the gas powered golf cart. Due to some medical conditions it will be cheaper than idling around the CG in my dually ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Bigdog wrote:
I do understand that there are folks that really need one to get around in and also the cool little three wheel and two wheel electric scooters. My problem is with the folks that don't really need them and run all over a park when they could be walking which is a lot better for them. My other problem is with the electric carts that are soooo quiet that they sneak up on you. It's the same way with the electric and hybrid cars. They should make them bell the cat,or in other words,put a noise maker on them so that you can hear them coming.

Don't walk on the road and you won't have to worry about how quiet they are. It will be better for your health as you won't have a heart attack, stroke or get hit.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Use our electric Yamaha at our snowbird park. Mostly gets used when DW is going in one direction and I need to go in another direction. The other uses a bike, or the car. With three pools, and three clubhouses a mile apart it does come in handy. And for the other use too...on the golf course. Really works good for that, too.

At home we use our gas Yamaha on our acreage. Runs fine. It is handy for running stuff down to the beach, the boats, the lanai. But it does emit 2 stroke exhaust fumes. It does seem to have more power than the electric job. It is about 30 years old, and just keeps on ticking.

Never use one when camping. And have been in C/G's where there are many gas carts. You do get sick of hearing them drive by from 7:00AM to 12:00AM. Every 5 seconds.
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only time I get ticked off about golf carts is when a bunch of kids fly by on a joy ride.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
Other than Fort Wilderness, I havent been to a campground that I would need one. I use our GC at home. We have acreage and ours has a bed on the rear for loading dirt, brush, etc. Great workhorse and very quiet. Even pull a small trailer.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
What advantage does a gas golf cart have over an electric? Can they handle hills better? Do they have more power?

Bruce

I had an electric cart for many years and as long as the batteries are good they'll do the job even on hilly terrain. A couple of years ago I sold mine and bought a customized GAS cart but I have yet to find a campground/resort that allows gas powered carts on the premises.

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
I do understand that there are folks that really need one to get around in and also the cool little three wheel and two wheel electric scooters. My problem is with the folks that don't really need them and run all over a park when they could be walking which is a lot better for them. My other problem is with the electric carts that are soooo quiet that they sneak up on you. It's the same way with the electric and hybrid cars. They should make them bell the cat,or in other words,put a noise maker on them so that you can hear them coming.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some people actually need a cart to get around, some just want to play. We have seen a good number of campgrounds that do not allow golf carts or ATVs unless they are registered and street legal. Saw a couple of really nice golf carts setting on the trailer strapped down all week at one place as they were no allowed on the roads.

So before you load up and head out, make sure you can play with the toys you want to bring along.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I want an off road Segway. This way I can where I want and use it almost anywhere. The price is steep arojnd $6000 to $7000. Nof sure how I'd carry one.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
D & M wrote:
nomad297 wrote:
What advantage does a gas golf cart have over an electric? Can they handle hills better? Do they have more power?

Bruce

My electric didn't have the power I wanted so to get a little more power, I bought a gas one.

:B

Looks like you got it from Tim "the toolman!!" More power!!! ARH ARH ARH!!! :B
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
In our style of camping, we never encounter golf carts. From time to time you'll see a camp host with one. It's not something we ever think about.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
would love gas but most cgs are electric only. so electric we bought ๐Ÿ™‚

we don't use it as a hobby. it is a helpmate for us. takes hubby to the beach entrance if far away with his fishing gear. if our site is far from pool, we drive kiddo there. quick trip to ranger shack for ice if needed. quick jaunt to drop off garbage. that kind of thing.

in fact last time we brought it with us we used it once and rest it sat. we rode our bikes. We use it when it is convenience we need or if we are flat our tired from our day etc.

I love our toyhauler. You can bring all the things you want and just enjoy them as wanted.

TONS of carts in cgs drive me nuts. like Ocean Lakes in SC. insanity. but we don't do those types of cgs anymore. state parks etc. and almost no one brings them. few do like us but again, most aren't used like for 'cruising' or that type of situation.

easttexan
Explorer
Explorer
We have a street legal Star LSV. Licensed, insured and inspected. The only way I would buy one. My research at the time found that a golf cart can't go faster than 20 mph, an LSV (low speed vehicle)must do 20-25 mph and are then classified under federal law as a passenger vehicle. The standard requires low-speed vehicles to be equipped with headlamps, stop lamps, turn signal lamps, taillamps, reflex reflectors, parking brakes, rearview mirrors, windshields, seat belts, and 17 digit vehicle identification numbers. A serial number is not a vin #. Even so, often we have problems because even though ours meets all requirements, it "looks like a golf cart". "We do not allow golf carts, sir!". That's why I have a letter from the Corp of Engineers and the Texas Parks and Wildlife that allows me to drive on their property. Some states also have laws concerning NEV's (neighborhood electric vehicles), which are basically just souped up LSV's.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago I worked in the shop for an EZ-GO dealer. We found a company that would rewind the EZ-GO motors, giving them more power and higher speeds, so they claimed.
So, we sent a motor in for the magic treatment, then installed it in a cart.
We then held "drag races" in the parking lot between a stock cart and the modified one. Of course, we did not have NHRA accurate timing, but the modified cart DID seem to have more power, and definitely ran the course in less time than the stock unit, and, in fact, would run away from the stock rig!
IIRC, the modification was not exactly inexpensive, but it sure did work as advertised!
These were 36 volt units, probably late '90s.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"