cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you secure your bikes while camping?

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
Our family just upgraded from Walmart bikes to new better quality bikes that we will take camping. I am a little concerned about the bikes getting stolen from the campsite, this has happened to people we know. I am looking for ideas to secure our bikes, any ideas are appreciated.
54 REPLIES 54

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Macrosill wrote:
We take 5 bikes, sometimes 6 or 7. At night or when leaving the CG I place the bikes in a wagon wheel spoke pattern and lock the front tires together with a cable lock. This is just to prevent the casual thief from walking away with an unsecured bike in the middle of the night.
That's a good approach, but I'd reverse the bikes and lock the rear wheels. They are much harder to detach.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Macrosill
Explorer
Explorer
We take 5 bikes, sometimes 6 or 7. At night or when leaving the CG I place the bikes in a wagon wheel spoke pattern and lock the front tires together with a cable lock. This is just to prevent the casual thief from walking away with an unsecured bike in the middle of the night.
Thanks,
Brian

TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TV = 2006 Ford F-350 CC DRW 6.0

gazingm42
Explorer
Explorer
Lock our with a good luck to the frame of the trailer.

tll
Explorer
Explorer
I know that if someone is going around intending to steal bicycles, there is not much to stop them. It is more about stopping the crime of opportunity. I use a cable lock and lock the bikes to the loop of the hitch on the back of the trailer or to the trailers wheel under the awning if it is going to rain. Also my bikes get locked to the rack during travel, I would hate for them to disappear while at a store. Bikes in the picture are worth about $5000.00 total so it pays to be a bit cautious.

2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

1100Sabre
Explorer
Explorer
When parked I lock them to the landing leg with a plastic coated cable. We just put them in the garage if we have room or just put them in the kitchen when moving. Only issue we had with hauling them inside was we had one lean against the stove once and turned the stove top burners on!!! Yup, it sure filled the camper with gas!! After 2 days with all the windows and doors open it was safe to enter!!!
2015 4X4 Chevrolet Duramax/Allison 3500HD Crew Cab SRW
2007 Sportsman Sportster KZ 33P Toy Hauler
"It's not the destination, it's the journey."

genekiwi
Explorer
Explorer
I use to feel the same way about leaving stuff unchained or other misc things outside of the tt.

I have never had anything stolen while camping.

However, I have gone from a trusting person to a more cautious one.

Reason: Someone went through both vehicles and then went into my shed and stole a $700 bike. Not sure what they wanted but they left everything all over the vehicles. Just opened the glove boxes and ransacked them.

The thieves hit 25 homes and no one saw a thing. They came over the wall.

Now, I make sure both vehicles are locked and my new bike and older bike are locked together and the shed is locked.

Hard adjustment to go from feeling safe to a feeling of violation.

Again no problems at a cg, just at home.
GeneKiwi
2013 Heartland Caliber 26RLSS (Dislike the quality)
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 (Love the truck)

CarlGeo
Explorer
Explorer
Been camping since 1973, in all types of public parks and private parks. I have seen and know of items being stolen from all of the parks.
SO, if you want to keep your property, secure it, even if you are just inside your unit.
Some years ago when camped in a state campground with my brother and his family, we were sitting in my site under the canopy visiting in mid afternoon. His site was just a couple of sites removed from where we were sitting, and we noted two younger guys eyeing a stack of fire wood at his site. We continued watching them and sure enough they finally walked up and started to carry the wood off. Of course we went over and ask them what they were doing, and they said they saw the wood was not being used and thought it was for the taking. The were told 'put it back or suffer the consequences'. They returned the wood to his pile. Some people have very large 'testicles'.
I have a practice to always use a cable or chain to secure anything outside that could be carried off with reasonable ease.
Safe travel and good camping everyone!

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
I lock my bike to my bike rack. It has lock tumblers that locks the front fork and the rack to the truck. When at CG I run a cable around all the wheels and frames and lock to something solid. Otherwise they stay on top of the truck.

Both my and DGF bike would be in the neighborhood of $2800 to replace. I try to keep them secure ๐Ÿ™‚

TOMMY47
Explorer
Explorer
Take off the seat with the quick release--take off a pedal--chain it up.
Can't ride it away even if they cut the chain.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
dee74 wrote:
Thank you for the replies. I think the cable lock will be the way to go for us. I know if somebody really wants something the cable will only slow them down. We camp in a family friendly campground but like I said bikes have disappeared before so I was looking for ideas to slow someone down.
I used to lock my bikes to the TT frame with a long chain. After a while, I grew comfortable just putting them out of sight when leaving the site.

If locking things up makes you feel better, then go ahead and do it. Why people have to tell you how easily things can get broken into or stolen is like telling you about Geico insurance - everyone knows.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
If I have my "good bikes" along, they are always locked to the bumper when we're in the site, and stored inside the trailer if we're away from the site. But I don't usually take my good bikes. The kids bikes and my old campground bike pretty much get left where they are dropped.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with our bikes inside the trailer and then pull them out at the campground. Sometimes we leave them unlocked and other times I'll either use the cable lock to lock them to each other or I lace it through the wheel of the trailer. Either way, I think there is a basic respect amongst campers to leave other people's stuff alone. In the end, there is no perfect solution. If someone really wants something, they can take it. If I don't have a cable lock handy or I forget it, I'll sometimes throw the bikes in the back of the Tahoe for the night.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Our boys bikes are Toys R Us specials while they are still growing like crazy, but we have a set of nicer mtbs that I will lock up.

This may sound crazy, but I just use a 15' dog tie out cable (for a smaller dog- cut the snap hook off) to prevent someone taking a joy ride on the bikes. I figure if they really want them as mentioned, they will get them. I would hope if someone was seen carrying a set of bolt cutters through the campground that others would contact the park/ police.

That cable with a standard master lock has worked for years even on Mackinac Island where bike theft has happened in the past (not ours luckily). Not sure about now as we haven't been over to the island in a few years.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The Toylok looks like a good idea. I'm looking at buying an enclosed cargo trailer, and I might see about mounting 2-3 of those (one on each side, one on the back.) That way, I could set up solar panel frames, and they will have some resistance to walking off.

If I couldn't weld the ToyLok directly on the frame, I'd definitely use shear nuts from FastenRight that have a section for the wrench, and once it reaches a proper torque, it will shear off, leaving a conical-shaped section of bolt which only really can be removed via a cutting wheel. To ensure it doesn't come off, LocTite Red is also useful.