cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I have a weight dilemma.. what would you do?

upsfella
Explorer
Explorer
2500 Silverado Diesel GVW 10,000
Rushmore Washington 5ver 15,500
I have 20" rims on pickup 20% of 15500 is 3255 +8380= 11635
Would you look at trading pickup for dually or spend money to beef up my current unit?
I'm not sure if this is the place to put this but I'm looking for as much input on this forum as I can get. Thanks for you help. By the way pickup only has 1000 miles on it!! Ouch.
I know, I know probably should have done more research. I would love to here some thoughts and suggestions.
42 REPLIES 42

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Others know more about going to a dually but it certainly seems like you need a 3500. If you do go 3500 pay attention to the payload rating. Don't feel too bad about the reaming as many others have gone before you. Go trade in a lease vehicle less than a year old and see how they beat you. ๐Ÿ™‚ Yes, you can get out of any lease, you just have to throw fists full of money at it.

As far as breaking it to the DW you have to use marriage math. $2,000 for you and $2,000 for her! See how much less painful it is that way?

upsfella
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
stevewise wrote:
It is not just if the truck can handle it or if you are comfortable driving it, but if something was to happen and an accident occurred the insurance company is going to refuse your claim, because you were outside the limits of your vehicle.
Totally false statement.

Here we go! I appreciate al the views. I'm trying to balance the 4k hit to upgrade my tv. Very much leaning toward the upgrade and chalking this one up to being over zealous. Yes the hit will hurt but i'm guessing the peace of mind will take precedence.
Now... If I make the trade how am I going to break this to the DW.!!! lol

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
stevewise wrote:
It is not just if the truck can handle it or if you are comfortable driving it, but if something was to happen and an accident occurred the insurance company is going to refuse your claim, because you were outside the limits of your vehicle.
Totally false statement.

stevewise
Explorer
Explorer
'15 Sierra 377FLIK
'14 Ford F350 SRW King Ranch
DW and Cricket the Chihuahua

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Way too much trailer for any 2500 series truck. You need a dually if you really want to trave.

2X. Agree

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
upsfella wrote:
I do own both units. Rear axel weighed 11000 pounds with 12,800 pound empty 5ver attached. Plan On doing some full-time in about a year. Thanks all for the input. I really don't want o have to worry about weight if I'm going on a longer trip. Bought truck first and DW fell in love with camper. I know I know

If you don't want worry then just get a bigger truck
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
upsfella wrote:
I do own both units. Rear axel weighed 11000 pounds with 12,800 pound empty 5ver attached. Plan On doing some full-time in about a year. Thanks all for the input. I really don't want o have to worry about weight if I'm going on a longer trip. Bought truck first and DW fell in love with camper. I know I know

I take it that 11,000# is trailer axle.......

WHAT is the trucks rear axle weight with trailer hooked up.
What is the rear tire load rating at max psi?

You posted a 8380# weight number (with the 20% pin number). WHAT is that weight......truck?

You stated your truck GVWR is 10,000#.

Well I can tell you will be OVER ON: Truck GVWR, Truck RAWR, Truck/Trailer GCVWR
I have a 3500 with 10,100# rating towing a 14K (13,870# actual) 5th wheel FT.
I was over GVWR, right at RAWR with a 2900# pin weight.

Regardless of what you do to truck in way of mods it will NOT increase any of the trucks certified numbers.

BUT you can add 3500 overload springs, add an extra leaf to leaf spring pack and truck will handle 5th wheel OK. YOU will be overweight per the numbers BUT you own both truck and trailer (NEW) and at this point in time better to beef up truck suspension to handle 5vr weight then take a HUGE loss on swapping trucks.

NOT the best way.......but :S
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
You need more truck or a smaller FW. Why in the heck would a dealer sell you something like that in the first place? When I bought my unit, the dealer ran all the numbers to make sure I didn't exceed any of the weight capabilities of the TV before they would complete the sale.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

upsfella
Explorer
Explorer

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Way too much trailer for any 2500 series truck. You need a dually if you really want to travel.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well do you already own both? Have you weighed the combo loaded?
If so what is your rear axle rating and how much weight on it?
Just because the GVWR is 15,500 not likely you weigh that much.
First rule is to go to the scales!

How do you feel about running over stated GVWR, many just see as a number. The number that really counts is tire and axel ratings! The most important item is how it handles and stops!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not thinking you need to go all the way to a dually.
3500 would be good enough.

It has been said that you can also add another leaf spring to your 2500 and increase your payload to that of a 3500....but this is endlessly debated here on the Forum.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
If that was my rig, and I wasn't over the tire rating on the rear axle, I'd go camping!
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny