cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inflatable Kayak questions

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of getting an inflatable kayak to take with us while traveling. We have a regular hard canoe, but aren't happy with the options to bring it with us (adding a rack to the top of the TV). So, I was thinking an inflatable that we could stow in the back of the truck.

What do you do to dry it before packing it up? Does it take a long time? Is it sort of like a pop up trailer where you can pack it up wet, then get it out to dry later?

Thanks for any insight...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
33 REPLIES 33

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
we love to fish too. have mounted a fish finder on both the kayak and Jon boat.
trolling motor on both also.
caught a 20lb catfish in Lake Havasu last year, while fishing in Kayak. caught in on a striper lure.

kayak Jam
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually, I have a plastic Sit On Top kayak and I sometimes carry it inside my Travel Trailer. There is just enough room to slide it in the door slightly sideways and up on the front couch / bed. It is a little hard to get into the TT with inside but, it can be done.

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
bbaker2001 wrote:
I am in the process of making a rack to carry my 14' jon boat and 2 kayaks.
I took off the tow hooks from Ram 3500 and installed 2 receivers. I plan on not buying the T setup, but put uprights with a cross member. have seen them, seem a lot more stable.
before the 5th wheel I had a camper shell and TT. mounted one Tule rack on shell, and one on cab of truck. did not need anything on front. the 14' was very secure. I did tie it down

That's a great idea. I would sure like to see a picture when you are done. Having water craft with you adds a dimension to camping that I enjoy the most. Did I mention that I love to fish.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of making a rack to carry my 14' jon boat and 2 kayaks.
I took off the tow hooks from Ram 3500 and installed 2 receivers. I plan on not buying the T setup, but put uprights with a cross member. have seen them, seem a lot more stable.
before the 5th wheel I had a camper shell and TT. mounted one Tule rack on shell, and one on cab of truck. did not need anything on front. the 14' was very secure. I did tie it down

BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Is that front "T piece" attached to a front receiver? I'm looking for a rack solution for a 14' Alumacraft F7. I have a truck topper and it's on a crew cab. I might not need to extend to the front but it would make a good anchoring point.

Yes, mounts to the front receiver hitch. I got my receiver from E-Trailer delivered to my door for about $150. I made my own canoe carrier, but Walmart sells them for $58. I got lucky as the Yakama roof carrier came off of Craig's list for a steal. Good luck, if you decide to go this way. One thing I would recommend is to run guide lines down to stabilize the front side to side slack in the system. You can see mine in the picture.

Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a diehard kayaker, and had the Sea Eagle Fast Trak for a few years - it's a great boat! I had the #385 - it could be paddled solo or tandem. Had a good skeg, so tracked like a hardside, was super-stable; and the sides were low for easy paddling and re-entry if you're swimming/diving. The skeg was removable, for whitewater - it was rated to Class III (so you know it was durable!!) When packed away, it was about the size of a large duffel, in our case, it stored nicely in the dinette of our 5er. And re the OP's question: the floor was removable, so it was easy to towel-dry the boat completely before I rolled it up. The only reason I sold it (to a fellow RVer) is that we're now snowbirds with a condo/garage, where I can store my hardsided boats
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Westend, mine attaches to a front receiver. If you don't already have a receiver it ends up being a pretty expensive rig. $240 for the receiver, and another $200+ for the front rack. For those who need it the single roof rack and feet add yet another $250.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Is that front "T piece" attached to a front receiver? I'm looking for a rack solution for a 14' Alumacraft F7. I have a truck topper and it's on a crew cab. I might not need to extend to the front but it would make a good anchoring point.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Bowti wrote:
Save yourself a lot of money and grief and buy hard sided kayaks or a canoe. One problem with inflatables besides puncture, is they are hard to regulate as far as air pressure. Leave them in the sun and you exceed recommended pressure, put them in cold water and they become under inflated and float like a anchor. Forget about covering any distance with them, as they push the water instead of gliding over the top. If you want to float down a river fine, but don't try going against any current. Things are much better with the higher priced ones, but I think you would be much happier with one that is more versatile.

As for carrying, this seem to be very popular way. Loading and unloading is easy.

I guess since you say you see a lot of people doing that then it must be legal. But, I don't know. Seems a little iffy to me. Sticks out further then the bumper and blocks your vision upward. Can you even see stop lights with that mounted like that? I don't think my local police would like that. I'm not sure what ticket they would write you but, they would think of one.

When we had a 5th wheel we carried a small aluminum fishing boat like this. However, it didn't extend beyond the front bumper. It didn't hinder seeing traffic lights and it gave some nice shade through the windshield. ๐Ÿ™‚

Funny you mention the shade thing, it's one of the benefits I like a lot. Normally the canoe is pushed back a couple of feet from what is pictured, and yes there is no problem seeing traffic lights or anything else for that mater.
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
We also have the two person Hobie inflatable kayak with the pedal drive system. It's a great kayak and can be pedaled or paddled. When inflated, it's rigid enough to walk in. Since it's all vinyl, we rinse it off and towel dry if we want to bag it right away.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found a link to the folding Kayak. I have no idea if they are any good or not but, click below to go their website.

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/12/21/npr-hearing-test-on-phone

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Bowti wrote:
Save yourself a lot of money and grief and buy hard sided kayaks or a canoe. One problem with inflatables besides puncture, is they are hard to regulate as far as air pressure. Leave them in the sun and you exceed recommended pressure, put them in cold water and they become under inflated and float like a anchor. Forget about covering any distance with them, as they push the water instead of gliding over the top. If you want to float down a river fine, but don't try going against any current. Things are much better with the higher priced ones, but I think you would be much happier with one that is more versatile.

As for carrying, this seem to be very popular way. Loading and unloading is easy.

I guess since you say you see a lot of people doing that then it must be legal. But, I don't know. Seems a little iffy to me. Sticks out further then the bumper and blocks your vision upward. Can you even see stop lights with that mounted like that? I don't think my local police would like that. I'm not sure what ticket they would write you but, they would think of one.

When we had a 5th wheel we carried a small aluminum fishing boat like this. However, it didn't extend beyond the front bumper. It didn't hinder seeing traffic lights and it gave some nice shade through the windshield. ๐Ÿ™‚
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a AE 1007 (with tandem deck, and backbone) for about 4 years now. It's been great. It has to be dry when stored or mold will start up on it from all the biological stuff that ends up on it. If we cannot dry it properly before packing up, we unpack it at home to dry it. If we use it in salt water, it gets a good rinsing with fresh water and is then dried. We suffered one puncture in the floor (easily repaired) when it was dropped while lifting it over a fallen log and a branch went through. Many of my friends now have AE boats and are quite happy with them. They are very stable. I would recommend investing in an inflatable as they work better with the style of seat in the AE boat.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
OP here - thanks very much to everyone for their responses!

Thanks also to the folks going a little off the drying topic as we are now researching the hitch mounted rack for our hard canoe as we do have a front hitch...

And that travel canoe looks really interesting!

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics