cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life Expectancy of new RV

tim1970
Explorer
Explorer
For a new 5th wheel (or TT) can I expect to get 10 - 15 years from it? We will not be full-timing, just using it for weekend getaways and the week long vacation 1 or 2 times a year. I plan on keeping it under a cover when not in use, and staying on top of maintenance items such as roof and axles. I realize there will probably be some initial warranty work in the first year, but after that is done, can I reasonably expect my RV to last a while? Looking around Facebook and Craigslist, I see a lot of 10 - 15 year old RV's for sale, that look like junk now.
2017 Jayco 29.5 BHDS
21 REPLIES 21

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here in Texas, a good hailstorm has a good chance of totaling a RV, especially if it goes undetected and the subsequent water intrusion causes rot.

My #1 recommendation: Maintain the roof. Grab those tubes of Dicor and every year, go inspect and reseal. If it even looks loose or cracked, scrape the old off, sputter on new, call it done. Or go with Eternabond.

Even neglect for months can make an impact on a rig. I'd recommend at least looking it over and running the A/C monthly if weather permits. For motorhomes and such, run the generator as well.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
10-15 years is easy with proper maintenance and care in use and storage.

However, failure to do seam maintenance, combined with outdoor storage in a wet climate, can ruin a RV within a couple of years. In our part of the country, a single severe thunderstorm can ruin it, which is why I pay a premium for covered storage (which also helps protect it from UV damage).
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sun and water damage are the worst enemies of a RV. If you keep it under covered storage when not in use and keep the roof sealed and maintained it will last you a very long time. Don't maintain it and it will deteriorate very quickly.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
... units usually die of water intrusion...&...IF you drag it over unimproved roads, expect that to take a toll.

Matt

^^^X2^^^

Low road miles and keeping her dry are key to house life. Low miles though might not be so good for mechanical stuff in a MH, but you're not talking about buying one.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My TT is 23 years old. It needs some work on the roof now but is otherwise in good shape with all the original appliances and parts.It is starting to look kind dingey and has a few dings though.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
They last as long as you're willing to put some time in for basic maintenance and repair. So yes, easily last 15 or even 20 years.

Many people don't last that long for a variety of reasons. The new rigs are much better laid out than units 10 years old or even 5 years old. Wasn't that long ago where having 1 slide was "WOW!" and now we have 4 or 6 of them sometimes.

So long as you'll invest your time to fix the little things like keep the roof and windows sealed or replacing a failing AC or converter (which is really pretty simple) the unit will last for you.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

fredandkathy
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Jayco 2450 and towed it for over 22 years. The interior was still looking like new, but the outside had a few bumps that I caused over the years. We traded it for a new motorhome and saw it at the dealer's being inspected several years later. It was stored indoors every winter. I think that helps.

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I will not use mine as an example for obvious reasons, but among those with more or less normal RVs, the life is very dependent on the attention to basic maintenance.

Non-powered units usually die of water intrusion. If you buy and you are not on the roof at least every year to touch up places that could leak, the life may not be long. This is why you see old all aluminum RVs places and not many of the stick and staple construction.

IF you drag it over unimproved roads, expect that to take a toll.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
MH 18 + years old has sit outside 24/7 and lived in Full Time 24/7 for over 14 years. In another 3-4 years I may need to do a new roof but still no leaks and I power wash it twice a year with no scrubbing or soap used.

White gel coat has turned a little yellow and vinyl has faded some.
Have replaced both AC's, couch, several TV upgrades, house batteries changed out 2 times and water heater.
No plans to trade it.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Care and a little luck

my 2005 was built in Jan 2004... several owners.. and NEVER indoors.

N.E. Ohio winters... sun has killed all the decals...
most all plastic items on roof needed to be replace.

I have owned this for 2 years.. and spend the past 2 winters in it... at 5 months each. so Semi-Full time.. ( Snow Bird ).

just a few Minor issues... electric and propane things.

at best, mine was a Middle of the road quality. nothing fancy.

but my 30 Foot Coachmen is 8,000 pounds.. so no light weight.
I had a newer light weight.. did not keep it long.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
tim1970 wrote:
For a new 5th wheel (or TT) can I expect to get 10 - 15 years from it? We will not be full-timing, just using it for weekend getaways and the week long vacation 1 or 2 times a year. I plan on keeping it under a cover when not in use, and staying on top of maintenance items such as roof and axles. I realize there will probably be some initial warranty work in the first year, but after that is done, can I reasonably expect my RV to last a while? Looking around Facebook and Craigslist, I see a lot of 10 - 15 year old RV's for sale, that look like junk now.

After reading this site for a few years, some of them don't last from the factory to the dealer. :h

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Keeping it inside, or under roof will help tremendously !
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

westend
Explorer
Explorer
My Starcraft is 45 yrs old. The framing and interior were renovated at 40 yrs of age. If the metal roof had been properly sealed it would have been very little work to get everything up to snuff. The cushions were beyond repair but I reinstalled the toilet, the shower enclosure, the bathroom vanity top, the range, the water heater, and the kitchen sink.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We use our camper probably more than 240 (nights) a year, either traveling or at home in the drive way. Our previous camper was sold at 8 years, was still in good shape, except for fading paint on aluminum sides. With a little TLC they can last for a long time.

My parents bought a 1963 Phoenix Travel Trailer (new) in 1962. My mother sold it in 1982 (believe it or not, still had the original tires). Mom and Dad divorced in 1970, dad had it a couple years living in it somewhere in Ohio for a couple years after that. Eventually, the camper came back to home, dad disappeared completely for a while, and Mom wanted to get rid of it. She sold it, everything still 100% functional and no leaks. However, the toilet had been removed. I think it was removed somewhere in the 10th year.

I guarantee you, neither my mother, nor my dad did any preventative maintenance on that camper. It did have an aluminum roof, and I do remember Dad taring it with black roofing tar, like on a house. That was long before they split up.

I'm not sure what happened to it with the new owners. They were family friends (their daughter wanted it), and eventually we lost all touch with them. I sure would like to have that camper back though.

So you know, they can last a long, long time if they are taken care of. It's all a matter of how much effort you want to put into it.

(See my profile ... link on the left ... for a photo of their camper).