cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mildew smell eliminator.

seattlefirervr
Explorer
Explorer
Uncovered trailer after a couple of months and detected a slight "mildew" odor. Does anyone have a recipe for that odor elimination?? Already removed all blankets, sheets, towels, etc...
2006 31' Wildcat QBH,Yamaha 3000EFi Generator

2000 Ford F250 Lariat PSD CC,SB,4WD,AT. aFe Megacannon Airfilter,4" Diamond I exhaust,Custom"Evergreen Diesel"chip,Autometer pillar gauges,BD Torque Converter,ATS Turbo Housing,Wicked Wheel,BD Exhaust Brake,
9 REPLIES 9

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know the answers to the OPs question too. We had a TT with a leak and mildew smells. We traded the mildew TT in on a new one but things that were in the old TT still have a musty smell. Most items were old and were tossed or sold in a yard sale, but a few are still with us.

Like a fan. How do you get a fan or the space heater clean? How do you get rid of musty smells on these appliances?
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2024 Grand Design 22MLE
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find the source of the odor and attack it. Don't just treat the odor...that's a losing battle.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

ArticFox_676
Explorer
Explorer
Biocide will clear the smell. May take two applications. We had the same problem after a water leak. Once it was fixed we still needed to clear out the smell. Give Biocide a try we were very pleased with the results.

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
Basically as others have said, if you have a mildew smell, then you still have mold/mildew someplace.

A good search for water intrusion is needed.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
seattlefirervr wrote:
Uncovered trailer after a couple of months and detected a slight "mildew" odor....

Don't know of many trailers that could stay covered for a couple of months with no air movement and still smell springtime fresh. Guess what I'm saying is don't assume you have a problem.

It may be so simple as the way you put it away. A couple of buckets of DampRid and some pans of kitty litter may have solved your "slight" odor.

Of course check for leaks, as they say follow your nose and use your eyes. Just don't assume the worst at the very beginning. If you can't find anything, then Frebreeze, open windows, and sunshine should fix things up.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Throw your cover away or figure out how to vent it while using it.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
SMELL is the symptom. Mildew is the PROBLEM. Treat the problem, not the symptom. Things die from problems, not symptoms.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I'd look everywhere for the mildew before trying to just neutralize the smell. Running your A/C will help suck out the moisture too and using Damp Rid will help with moisture. Above all make sure you have no leaks. Good luck.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I hate to say it but you know that probably means moisture is getting in someplace.
Or maybe it's just a drain that's gone dry or a leaking air admittance valve under a sink someplace.