cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Notice for Canadian Drivers

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
I just received an official notice from the Nova Scotia dept of transport. It says that USA plans, as of July 1 2015, to enforce a medical certification requirement for holders of Canadian Class 5 (Class G, the basic license for operating a car) when that driver is operating a commercial vehicle in the United States. There are many types of vehicles that can be driven with such a license (my bus, for example) that might be commercial in the US. The notices says that:

Commercial vehicle includes any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle;
1. has a gross vehicle weight rating, or gross combination weight rating or gross vehicle weight or gross combined vehicle weight over 4,536 Kg (10,001 lbs) whichever is greater,
2. Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation.
3. Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers including the driver and is not used to transport passengers for compensation, or
4. Is used in transporting placarded hazardous material. (I paraphrased this one).

Key points - the officer gets to decide if you are engaged in interstate transport, and you have to argue the point in court if you so desire. There doesn't seem to be a way to get a Canadian Class 5 or Class G license with a medical. In Nova Scotia, about all of the "commercial" type licences ( I have a Class 3 Nova Scotia license that requires a medical) need a medical, but in Ontario a Class D license, very common to drive a converted bus, does NOT require a medical and so would not qualify under this new US regime.

Final point. "Drivers who choose not to obtain a Canadian commercial driver's license must comply with medical certification requirements by obtaining and carrying medical certification in the US. The US FMCSA provides a national registry of Certified Medical Examiners here: https://nationalregistry.fmcsa.dot.gov/NRPublicUI/home.seam

Hope this helps someone, I'm going to cross post on all the forums I go to. What a PITA.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper
25 REPLIES 25

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
Paul Clancy wrote:
Seattle Steve wrote:
OK, something else that belongs under the subject of Notice to Canadian Drivers:

The right lane is for driving. The left lane is for passing.

This comes from my observations living most of my life just south of the Canadian border. Tired of seeing BC drivers cross the border, pull into the left lane, and staying there for the entire length of the state.

Certainly not how I do things Steve. Seattle has some of the worst traffic in the west and I drive to survive when passing through , especially with trailer on. That means whatever lane gets me through quick and safe without impeding traffic. Did you know your hov laws allow me to tow in that lane? True story! I think you'll see way fewer of us with our dollar sucking so you can relax. Now we can worry about the WS rage drivers up here.

Been through LA Sandiego and SF MANY times with the trailer on. I can honestly say Seattle traffic is worse. Staying in the far right lane is suicde with the crazy mergers.
See how long you last in a HOV lane -or- lane other than the right two lanes on a four lane freeway in CA, ROTFL...;)

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Paul Clancy wrote:
Seattle Steve wrote:
OK, something else that belongs under the subject of Notice to Canadian Drivers:

This comes from my observations living most of my life just south of the Canadian border. Tired of seeing BC drivers cross the border, pull into the left lane, and staying there for the entire length of the state.

Certainly not how I do things Steve. Seattle has some of the worst traffic in the west and I drive to survive when passing through , especially with trailer on. That means whatever lane gets me through quick and safe without impeding traffic. Did you know your hov laws allow me to tow in that lane? True story! I think you'll see way fewer of us with our dollar sucking so you can relax. Now we can worry about the WS rage drivers up here.

See how long you last in a HOV lane -or- lane other than the right two lanes on a four lane freeway in CA, ROTFL...;)

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Steve wrote:

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
free radical wrote:
Seattle Steve wrote:

What's a midle lane for ?
๐Ÿ™‚

It's for midles, as long as the driver of said midle has a medical?

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Seattle Steve wrote:

What's a midle lane for ?
๐Ÿ™‚

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. "
I'm not sure where you got the idea that you don't need a medical for an Ontario Class D license, but it's wrong. A medical IS required.

Medical required for Ontario Class A and D Licenses"

I just checked my Ontario Drivers License, which is about a year since issue, it is a D class with a 'W' endorsement. The 'W' endorsement states in fine print on the license that it is for commercial use in Canada only. The letter that accompanied the revised licence stated that since in DID NOT have a current medical, I was being downgraded to a D+W, which would only allow me to drive commercial vehicles in Canada but not in the US. (it was more hassles with my doctors office to try and get the medical than it was worth, since I don't plan or need the commercial license anyway.

Now what the Nova Scotia rules are?

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
bfast54 wrote:
Ok.......This its not going to apply to about 99.99 percent of Canadians...

It's going to apply to zero percent of Canadians.

There are agreements in place, in Canada a medical is not a separate document, it's included in the license.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Lynn0527 wrote:
Jim Shoe wrote:
This may be more about Canada's version of Medicare. Back in the late eighties, my parents were RVers and camped near Cape Canaveral one spring-summer. When I visited them (I was still working then) almost everyone else in the CG was from Canada to get an operation of some sort. I remember the Canadians saying that there was a two or three year waiting list for what Canada considered elective surgery. The Canadian man parked next to my parents didn't think having to use crutches was "Elective".

Who comes up with these ridiculous stories?

I don't know but I always enjoy hearing these kind of stories from the south. Too funny. Hope they never end.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Ok.......This its not going to apply to about 99.99 percent of Canadians ---this is been going on in the US for years and years and years (We who haul trailers for a Trucking company COMMERCIAL).......WE HAVE TO abide by these rules for years...and they're basically going to say that they're going to make the Canadians follow the U.S .rules -------if they're driving in US territory -----this is commercial drivers!!!!!!

Repeat-----people who pick up an RV with their truck and take it back to Canada ,people who would pick up a motor home and take it back to Canada, people who would pick up a box truck --------etcetera etcetera etcetera
"commercial commercial commercial drivers"
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

Lynn0527
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
This may be more about Canada's version of Medicare. Back in the late eighties, my parents were RVers and camped near Cape Canaveral one spring-summer. When I visited them (I was still working then) almost everyone else in the CG was from Canada to get an operation of some sort. I remember the Canadians saying that there was a two or three year waiting list for what Canada considered elective surgery. The Canadian man parked next to my parents didn't think having to use crutches was "Elective".

Who comes up with these ridiculous stories?
2012 Pleasure Way TS Excel
Calgary Alberta

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Roadpilot wrote:
I believe the OP is twisting things to make a point. But the Federal Goverment can regulate only "interstate commerce". They can't regulate commerce within a state or something that is not commercial state to state. It has to be commerce and it has to be an interstate (state to state commercial enterprise). This is not going to impact any Canadian not engaged in both instate and commercial activities.

to not be interstate commerce a seller of "trinkets,etc." would have to purchase them within the same state that they sell them. they can not bring the stuff/raw materials, etc. in from Canada.
bumpy

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the OP is twisting things to make a point. But the Federal Goverment can regulate only "interstate commerce". They can't regulate commerce within a state or something that is not commercial state to state. It has to be commerce and it has to be an interstate (state to state commercial enterprise). This is not going to impact any Canadian not engaged in both instate and commercial activities.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
vic46 wrote:
Jim Shoe wrote:

How is this related to the thread?

It isn't.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0