cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Open question to everyone...

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
Why, when a topic comes up people don't like and don't want to participate in, want to have it closed down? Why not just ignore it and never read it again and let the people that do want to discuss do just that?
Jim
P.S. Yes, I really want to know!
77 REPLIES 77

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
lanerd wrote:
Well shoot...anyone can "say" that, but I can't believe that it would actually cause the post to be shut down. That's just not gonna happen.

This whole thread is totally redundant.

Ron

I agree... it is repetitive. MODS... SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN!

Seriously though... what are you talking about? You are just repeating exactly what the OP said. He wants to know why some people feel the need to demand a thread be shut down.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
lanerd wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
lanerd wrote:
Ok, ok...I still find it very difficult that someone can read a post and then ask the moderator to shut it down...for whatever the reason. That just doesn't compute!:h

There has to be a better reason than just somebody doesn't like the post. If you don't like, don't read it. :S

Ron
Here's a direct quote from the most recent request that comes to mind: "Time to close this train wreck!!". The individual's viewpoint was not being supported and I guess he didn't like dissenting opinions. ๐Ÿ™‚ No, he wasn't the OP either.

Well shoot...anyone can "say" that, but I can't believe that it would actually cause the post to be shut down. That's just not gonna happen.

Ron
It didn't get the thread shut down and that's beside the point anyway. This thread is about posters who want a thread shut down for their own reasons and proceed to say so. Kind of moderator wannebe's.

"Redundant". You mean there's another thread just like this one going on. I hadn't seen that one, could you post a link to it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
And I for one thank you for that, Dick A. Wish all moderators could be more like that.
Jim

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Each moderator does things a little differently. I rarely will close a thread unless the thread has severely violated forum rules or significant flaming or name calling has occurred. At times a thread has gone so bad trying to clean it up would be a real challenge.

Anyone who has frequented this forum section for any length of time knows I moderate with a light hand. I like open discussions and sometimes (often) overlook minor rule infractions.:) However, flaming, extreme arguing, and off-colour language will get a post deleted without question.

Oh, and yes, I AM a VERY strong supporter of the United States Constitution and all amendments therein.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
lanerd wrote:
Ok, ok...I still find it very difficult that someone can read a post and then ask the moderator to shut it down...for whatever the reason. That just doesn't compute!:h

There has to be a better reason than just somebody doesn't like the post. If you don't like, don't read it. :S

Ron
Here's a direct quote from the most recent request that comes to mind: "Time to close this train wreck!!". The individual's viewpoint was not being supported and I guess he didn't like dissenting opinions. ๐Ÿ™‚ No, he wasn't the OP either.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
The forum has some rules.. You can find them usually in a sticky but there are rules against selected topics of discussion.

There is also a rule about flame wars (prohibted)

Sometimes folks start arguing and it gets heated, or sometimes the entire topic is off topic with questions like who do you think will be our next president (PEOPLE DO NOT RESPOND TO THAT QUESTION IT IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE).

If you make any kind of prohibited post or if the thread devolves into a flame war the moderators will, sadly, have to moderate and close the thread.

It is like some folks think they can drive 105 MPH in a 65 zone... And when they do, not only do the police invite them to a meeting with one of the community's more distinguished persons (The Judge) but if they do it enough the DMV invites them to walk or hitch a ride,, not drive, for a period of time.

Same thing exactly.. Believe it or not the traffic cop would rather NOT write you that speeding ticket, He'd rather you did not break the law. (Used to work for the police in a civilian capacity).
This really has nothing to do with the OP's post. He was wondering why posters other than the moderators take it upon themselves to act as moderators and want a thread shut down because they don't like it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The forum has some rules.. You can find them usually in a sticky but there are rules against selected topics of discussion.

There is also a rule about flame wars (prohibted)

Sometimes folks start arguing and it gets heated, or sometimes the entire topic is off topic with questions like who do you think will be our next president (PEOPLE DO NOT RESPOND TO THAT QUESTION IT IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE).

If you make any kind of prohibited post or if the thread devolves into a flame war the moderators will, sadly, have to moderate and close the thread.

It is like some folks think they can drive 105 MPH in a 65 zone... And when they do, not only do the police invite them to a meeting with one of the community's more distinguished persons (The Judge) but if they do it enough the DMV invites them to walk or hitch a ride,, not drive, for a period of time.

Same thing exactly.. Believe it or not the traffic cop would rather NOT write you that speeding ticket, He'd rather you did not break the law. (Used to work for the police in a civilian capacity).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:

Or this one from today...
dodge guy wrote:
I think it`s time to close this one down.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
OkSixpack wrote:
lanerd wrote:

Ron

We REALLY REALLY need a like button....

Jim

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
lanerd wrote:

Ron
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
OkSixpack wrote:
lanerd wrote:

Ron

Jim

Along with that maybe instead of just blocking someone we could have an S list. ๐Ÿ™‚

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:

Ron

Jim

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^^^^^^^^Classy :B
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
rjxj wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
I've not seen it either. But if it is happening then it goes along with what's happening around the country with college kids not want to hear things that offend them.

OH, do you mean the "Teacups"? ๐Ÿ™‚
No, I think he was referring to the Libernuts.