cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snow chains

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning on going to Yellowstone in May. I have all wheel drive but I want to be prepared just in case and would like to buy some chains to take with. I would like something that is easy to put on and take off.Anyone have experience with any easy on/off chains? Here is one example I have seen: http://www.flextrax.com/ Anything else?
22 REPLIES 22

pbmazda32
Explorer
Explorer
I've got Peerless Auto-Tracks, been happy with them. Just make sure you clean them and oil them when you get home and put them away.

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
You might look at Automatic Tire Chains. More expensive than normal chains though. Flick a switch to engage/disengage.

Most models work in reverse also.
Ray

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven on chains before. I have them on my tractor for snow removal. I am looking for something to get me out of a jam and are easier to put on than regular chains.Maybe there is no such thing and I should just buy regular chains.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a pair of cable chains last October when we travelled through some mountains. Never used them. I did try putting them on the outside duals and had no trouble. They were $50, looks like $100 now after the Canadian dollar slipped. As someone mentioned they are not meant for travel more than a few km, or for speeds over 60 km/hr. It feels good to have them aboard and they are much lighter and less bulky than real chains. I carried real chains in my van for many years and never used them so these seem good enough.
Canadian Tire
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
:h :h
I guess I have never found that hard to put on standard tire chains, carry a set in the truck, and one in the 5er. Keep in mind in most western states, if the TV is chained, you need to chain at least on axle on the trailer also.

Agree with this^^^^....for a daily driver in Los Anchorage, my preference is 4WD with studs...but the rig always has chains in it and available.

If the snow is so deep that chains are required (as a practical matter, not a regulatory matter), I usually decide that I don't HAVE to go anywhere, but where chains really come into their own (IMNSHO) is when driving on packed snow/mixed ice. Cross- or Z-bars that bite into the ice are really beneficial, particularly on stopping.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have purchased several from www.tirechain.com

Chains for almost every size and type of tire. Good customer service too.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
loggenrock wrote:
..... Have carried chains in my rigs for over 15 years - goal is get me out of a predicament, not drive into one... ST

And this one ^^^^ X2

if you are unfamiliar with chains and snow driving, the best way is stay out of it. In this case, in May, it won't stick, so wait it out. Like loggenrock says, carry something to get you out of trouble, not into it.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 wrote:
Autosock looks like the easiest way to get out of jam. But some of the roads I've crossed are snow and then clear and then snow. Autosock's will get destroyed, apparently, unless you pull them off before pavement.

Well, that's a bummer. Still, it would make a good emergency backup similar to those tie wraps for tires (Zip Grip Go) things I've been seeing.

I use traditional chains for my truck. My last car had some of those Les Schwab quick fit tire chains that you could install without moving the car. Those were awesome and I could run them for miles, but I seriously doubt they would handle the weight of a truck or trailer.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Autosock looks like the easiest way to get out of jam. But some of the roads I've crossed are snow and then clear and then snow. Autosock's will get destroyed, apparently, unless you pull them off before pavement.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Go to www.tirechains.com - look at their diamond pattern chains. Go on very easy (I've used many types of tire chains for many years...) - the pattern provides for a smoother ride but still affords good traction. Other companies make similar styles. Have carried chains in my rigs for over 15 years - goal is get me out of a predicament, not drive into one... ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
We use chains on our E350 service vans, admittedly, in Seattle, we don't use them every year, but due to micro climates, and HILLS when we do get snow, often we end up chaining up. We've tried a lot of cable chains, etc, bottom line, there's no substitute for real chains. A lot of the quickie, or alternative type products won't take driving for long distances, they're okay if you need to go a couple blocks to a plowed road, but if you're going to be traveling any distance, they just don't hold up.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
:h :h
I guess I have never found that hard to put on standard tire chains, carry a set in the truck, and one in the 5er. Keep in mind in most western states, if the TV is chained, you need to chain at least on axle on the trailer also.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
mcc272 wrote:
Re Flextrax, I called the company and got the size they suggested last year. I never could get them on my dually. Never could get the company to return my calls thereafter. I am a very dissatisfied customer. They are unused in my basement headed to the dump and I use regular tire chains.

Well, that sucks. They look easier to put on than traditional chains, but if there is no customer service....

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
IDoMyOwnStunts wrote:
Has anybody tried an Autosock yet? I know they are legal in Washington. Don't know about other states.
They are now legal in all 50 states. If I were buying today, that is what I would buy.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today