cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thieves at campsite!

Scotccrn
Explorer
Explorer
Thieves hit our campsite in the middle of the night at Mission Tejas State Parke in East Texas this weekend. They stole a Yeti cooler and 2 campchairs and some beer in the middle of the night. Guess we are going to have to buy some bike locks and lock everything up at night from now on. Anyone have this happen to them? Share your stories. Never had this happen to us camping.
113 REPLIES 113

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
The people that steal stuff are just going to burn in Hell for it. Not sure there is a cooler rated for that yet.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:

Maybe some people would just like to have a nice cooler. Have you considered that?

Bruce

well it is their money, but I think that 80% of the sales are for ego soothing. gotta have the best.
bumpy

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bob Landry wrote:
Unsubscribe
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
We got robed for the first time this year. Had two brand new bikes under the awning (900.00 each) next to them on a table was a bottle of homemade limoncello and a half bottle of Carmel whiskey. Woke in the morning to find my booze missing. We have stayed at this campground a dozen different times and is over run by seasonals and their kids. Should have known better. Thank god they didn't touch our bikes.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

antiquedrose
Explorer
Explorer
Oh no, I'm sorry about the theft, especially because it involves the sweet park of Mission Tejas. I've camped there frequently and think the park and it's Rangers are truly a cut above.

Usually it's very peaceful and quiet and friendly folks are repeat campers. Still, I've seen shady people, including a local cult that calls itself a church and recently made national news. The park is off the beaten path, and the Rangers and staff are visible present. I don't know what the crime rates are at camps, but I'd expect it's particularly low at Mission Tejas State Park.

I'll be more mindful when camping from here on out, because thieves and perverts gravitate to anywhere people congregate, including the absolute middle of nowhere, like my 'home' camp of Mission Tejas.

I'm really sorry this happened to you, OP.

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
Unsubscribe
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
If someone wants to spend mega $ on a cooler, so be it. Not gonna tell someone else how to spend their $.

I'm happy with my El Cheapo Wal-Mart special.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
nevadanick wrote:
I have a Pelican cooler. When you go for a few days where you cant walk up to the store and buy more ice you would understand why some of us have Yeti's or other brands.

Understand.....No ingenuity!!.:S

Make your own cooler out of Styrofoam covered by fiberglass - as large as you want.

Did this for years for bringing fish back from Baja -
for sure there wasn't any "stores to walk to"

Would keep ice for longer than "a few days"..:C

Must be a lot of high rollers out there that have (lot$) more money than time and/or talent..:R

yep, or even make life more simple by buying a coleman/igloo/etc. cooler a bit larger than you need and glue up a few inches of styrofoam inside it to increase cooling time.
bumpy

Maybe some people would just like to have a nice cooler. Have you considered that?

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
nevadanick wrote:
I have a Pelican cooler. When you go for a few days where you cant walk up to the store and buy more ice you would understand why some of us have Yeti's or other brands.

Make your own cooler out of Styrofoam covered by fiberglass - as large as you want.

Must be a lot of high rollers out there that have (lot$) more money than time and/or talent..:R

yep, or even make life more simple by buying a coleman/igloo/etc. cooler a bit larger than you need and glue up a few inches of styrofoam inside it to increase cooling time.
bumpy

Or use the fridge... ๐Ÿ™‚
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
nevadanick wrote:

bumpy

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
I think the two most pilfer able items would be batteries and coolers. Cable locks are pretty easy to make up. My battery box gets one tomorrow as well as my propane bottles.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
moose888 wrote:
Buy a game camera and put it in your window of your camper. Game cameras are getting cheaper and cheaper I think I paid $80.00 dollars for my Bushnell cameras . I have two I use for hunting and when we camp I take one along and put it in my window. They will take thousands of pictures on a SD card.

Not going to prevent someone from taking the items. You may be able to identify them, but your stuff is already gone. Best bet is to prevent things from being taken in the first place. Lock up the valuables.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

moose888
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a game camera and put it in your window of your camper. Game cameras are getting cheaper and cheaper I think I paid $80.00 dollars for my Bushnell cameras . I have two I use for hunting and when we camp I take one along and put it in my window. They will take thousands of pictures on a SD card.

herbhofmann
Explorer
Explorer
My 2 sons often sleep in a tent in our site. One son doesn't sleep well since he got back from Iraq. I think he almost hopes someone will wake him up stealing something! I have a vision of him popping out of the tent ready to kick some butt and coming face-to-face with a bear! Guys in their 20's seem to feel invincible.
Considering what he's been though, maybe he is.
Herb & Liz
3 Adult Kids & Spouses who love to Camp with us
2002 Toyota Tundra
2008 Thor Summit 22RB (2013 >)
1973 Prowler 18ft. (2003-2013)

There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice. John Calvin