cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Life subscription

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I just receive a renewal for my Trailer Life subscription. I have been less than enamored with the lack of content over the last couple of years. At one time it would take days to read all the articles. Now I can read it cover to cover in less than an hour. With the rv industry having the best years ever I do not understand the lack of content.
31 REPLIES 31

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had subscribed to this magazine for probably about 10 years.
The cost was and still is, pretty cheap - less than $1 per issue. I enjoyed the magazine, and would skim through it at first, but then go back and read it cover to cover as I had time (bathroom reading material!)
I think it is an OK magazine and I got some good info out of it, but as others have said it has way too many articles that are really advertising disguised as a feature article.
After retiring, we decided that we needed to cut our costs where we could and I did not renew my subscription. I was surprised that I didn't get barraged with mail to re-subscribe. Only got about one or two letters and then they stopped. It has been about 2 years now that I've been without and the other day I get a call on the phone encouraging me to renew my subscription! I was surprised, but politely declined the invitation.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you watch the 1953 (the year I was born) movie The Long Long Trailer with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz there is a scene in a trailer park office and there is a copy of Trailer Life on a coffee table.

It's been around for a long time.

That movie also gives the lie to the fact you need a 3/4 ton truck to haul even a small lightweight modern trailer.

Their rig was very much like my parents Car and trailer.

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I do remember subscribing to "Toy Hauler" magazine several years back. I think I got one magazine and then they just disappeared.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
I've never seen a negative review, but I think there are more negative things said than in the past.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
awanatech wrote:
I agree. Mostly ads now that are disguised as reviews. I've yet to see a negative "review".

In the 70's TL was a good source - lots of good articles, tech, etc.

Went downhill from there to the current "brochure" - maybe in the 90's.

Easier to pay for submissions than pay staff.

But......Look at the bright side!

*YOU* can be a TL writer!..:C

Just keep in mind (for reviews, etc.)-

1. There's Good, Bad, and Ugly everywhere else, but *NOT* in TL!

2. Never, NEVER say *anything* negative about a potential advertiser.

Repeat #2 (at least) 100 times and you are on your way to literary success...;)

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
Well I have to say I do like reading Trailer Life. There are some good articles in there. Like the one on installing disc brakes.

BUT the OP is correct the content is sparse. The reviews are all too often nothing more than extended ads for HUGE 5th wheels that few really own.

Trailer Life is a creature of the Trailer manufacturers and Good Sam Ent. I posted here a long time ago that it's true potential is being wasted. It could be used as an editorial base from which honest criticism of TT and RV design could be used to improve the product. (Similar to the role the Auto magazines have played over the years)

It is now, more than anything, a platform for advertising the Good Sam Conglomerate of companies.

I totally agree,,,,,,,they never critique rv's from a users point of view only from a designers point of view.....which designers never have to use before being foisted on the public,,,,,,,,I viewed one onetime that as the company rep said was a weekend unit. It did not have a single closet and no drawers to keep clothes in.....he was offended when I told him I would not haul it home if he signed it over to me.....Just shows how lacking in real time use designers are,,,,,

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I have to say I do like reading Trailer Life. There are some good articles in there. Like the one on installing disc brakes.

BUT the OP is correct the content is sparse. The reviews are all too often nothing more than extended ads for HUGE 5th wheels that few really own.

Trailer Life is a creature of the Trailer manufacturers and Good Sam Ent. I posted here a long time ago that it's true potential is being wasted. It could be used as an editorial base from which honest criticism of TT and RV design could be used to improve the product. (Similar to the role the Auto magazines have played over the years)

It is now, more than anything, a platform for advertising the Good Sam Conglomerate of companies.

WayneSC
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the Motorhome magazine and like it for the places to go. Have been keeping many of the articles to someday travel to many of the places.
Wayne & Charlotte
2014 Coachmen Pursuit

RockyMt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like it- read from one end to the other!

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
I renewed my Motorhome Magazine subscription for another 2 years which is very similar to Trailer Life and put out by the same folks. If I remember correctly is was less than a dollar an issue and I find an occasional travel, cooking article or tech suggestion to be useful and well worth the buck. I also enjoy reading how hard is is to get the extended warranty folks to pay up on a claim in every issue almost. Yeah, there are a lot of ads but if they weren't there, it would cost more than a buck. Guess I am still in the paper media camp but don't worry, I'm old and will be gone soon. LOL
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Hardly worth the paper it is printed on. Maybe 1 good article per issue, the rest is advertisements. What a waste of trees.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sighed up for two years the last time. Wish I would have done I year.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't respond to the multitude of bills they sent to renew and one night they called me!

I said that the forums were far better entertainment, already received enough advertising from Good Sam, and that their RV reviews were biased.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
Got mine this week and the only thing I really read anymore is the 10 minute tech page.

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC

awanatech
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. Mostly ads now that are disguised as reviews. I've yet to see a negative "review".