cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

traveling with firearms

elle8
Explorer
Explorer
okay so i am going fulltiming may 1st . plan on wintering in texas next winter . so most of my travels this season will be out west ,,,as much as i can see . my question is about firearms . does anyone have any tips of traveling with them ,,,,, legally and safely,,,, i have the nessersary license.
130 REPLIES 130

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
bigred1cav wrote:
brooks379 wrote:
There are a lot of car accidents where people die...should we not drive anymore and ban cars ? There are a lot of over weight people in America ....should we ban forks ? I carry concealed and travel with my family and hope I never have to use my weapon but should I ever need to defend my wife and kids I will have the means to do it.

If you proudly carry a firearm why do you conceal it as though you are ashamed?

Where do you travel you need a handgun hidden on your body to protect you from what? You do know an armed assailant will make you dead before you can uncover your hidden gun?

Cars when operated as designed are not designed to kill. Guns are. Overweight people do not enter schools and murder children with the fat on their belly or legs. Cite how many people have been murdered by a fork in past 300 years? It won't reach the number murdered by guns in 2013.

BTW I own and use and am very proficient with firearms. I am just not coward enough to carry one. I have that right as a retired Police Officer.

Good post. As a retired LEO you know all the consequences involved firing your weapon. However, based on the content and tone of posts by others on this forum-many do not have your experiences.

Thank you for your past service keeping the bad guys at bay.

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
musicman54 wrote:
so no one here but a few belives in the laws of the land the constution and does anyone know what infringed upion mean or are they just words
Which constitution are you talking about??? Each state has their own constitution, and they are not all firearm friendly. And as citizens of a particular state, that state constitution applies to us when in our own state. Outside of that state, we have no rights except those confided on us by the federal constitution, and the laws of the state we happen to be in as it applies to us. The second amendment really doesn't give us many right concerning firearms because the states reserve the right to grant those rights as they see fit. And the US Constitution allows the states to do that. Its called States Rights.
all federal laws supercedes state law

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
brooks379 wrote:
There are a lot of car accidents where people die...should we not drive anymore and ban cars ? There are a lot of over weight people in America ....should we ban forks ? I carry concealed and travel with my family and hope I never have to use my weapon but should I ever need to defend my wife and kids I will have the means to do it.

If you proudly carry a firearm why do you conceal it as though you are ashamed?

Where do you travel you need a handgun hidden on your body to protect you from what? You do know an armed assailant will make you dead before you can uncover your hidden gun?

Cars when operated as designed are not designed to kill. Guns are. Overweight people do not enter schools and murder children with the fat on their belly or legs. Cite how many people have been murdered by a fork in past 300 years? It won't reach the number murdered by guns in 2013.

BTW I own and use and am very proficient with firearms. I am just not coward enough to carry one. I have that right as a retired Police Officer.

musicman54
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Boy, are these camping firearms discussions depressing.

Even in the Wild West gun carrying cowboys carried them out in the open in hip holsters. Even then, in many towns they had to check them in at the sheriff's office so they wouldn't get into trouble while in town.

It's really scary to have private citizens carrying concealed weapons - considering all the folks walking around out there with undiagnosed mental illness, road rage, excessive drinking, recreational drug use, poor anger management skills, general depression issues, posttraumatic stress disorder, and various other types of psychosis. Many of these type disorders are just below the surface in seemingly "normal/nice/trustworhy" people who as of yet may have no history of behavioral issues. Concealed weapon permits do not vet-out or screen-out these type of hidden or latent tendencies. People with CC permits also can change later after getting a permit in the past - but if they already have a CC permit when they begin to go south emotionally - then they're legally able to keep right on carrying a deadly weapon that is not visable to others. Scary stuff.

Concealed weapons have no business in the general population - including being carried by retired folks who once had permits to carry them in their professional careers. When they retire, the CC permit should get revoked.

If you think you gotta have a weapon in an RV for "protection" - make it a long gun - such as a 20 guage shotgun.
yes i saw that movie also no they never checked them into the sheriff my great grandfather was a sheriff in lincolin neb

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
facory wrote:
(Unless I'm mistaken, a loaded handgun in a car without a CC will get you a trip to jail.)

I believe you are mistaken. Check the law. The disqualifier is that if you have a felony record.

It varies state to state. A loaded handgun in the car without a handgun carry permit in TN will most definitely get you jail time whether you had a prior felony record or not.

code3run wrote:
Also I know a group that was camping and a drunk idiot from another rv got angry over something and came out shooting at them with an ak47. Nobody was hit but really you never know when you may need to protect yourself.

I bet he didn't have a permit for the AK.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

carlada
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of misinformation found here. I have a permit to carry concealed in the state of Oregon. Several states allow reciprocity. Many do not. Best to know what your license gives you permission to do.

One issue that bothers me is the unreasonable search issue. Last time I checked, that Constitutional amendment was still in effect. Of course, what qualifies as reasonable or unreasonable search is another topic for heated debate.

Although I'd like to carry in the motorcoach, I typically don't because of the complications involved...that and the fact that I'm only 30 miles north of California and go through the border often.

Hopefully, my docile dogs will wake up in the event of a junkie trying to break in ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy motoring guys and gals!
Carl

code3run
Explorer
Explorer
Also I know a group that was camping and a drunk idiot from another rv got angry over something and came out shooting at them with an ak47. Nobody was hit but really you never know when you may need to protect yourself.
2008 ATTITUDE 21AK
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi 5.7 lit

01 Yamaha yz 125

2 boys 13 and 16
a wife
a dog named Dusty

code3run
Explorer
Explorer
If you just looking for opinions then heres mine. I travel with my long guns in soft cases and handgun in a locked gun box with ammo seperate. That simple.
2008 ATTITUDE 21AK
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi 5.7 lit

01 Yamaha yz 125

2 boys 13 and 16
a wife
a dog named Dusty

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
This thread is probably going to be closed soon. But here is my 2 cents. I have no problem with guns. But I carry a nice size can of bear spray. I carry it for bears. But, if I had to use it for self defense I know it would end any confrontation and no one would be dead. That's what you want, the problem is over, everyone is probably in some pain but it is OVER and no one down the road gets hurt by flying lead. It is not deadly so you do not have to fear death to use it, just harm. The rules of use are much easier that a gun. I suggest you research the legal use of it for yourself. Be smart, be aware, be prepared.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
musicman54 wrote:
so no one here but a few belives in the laws of the land the constution and does anyone know what infringed upion mean or are they just words
Which constitution are you talking about??? Each state has their own constitution, and they are not all firearm friendly. And as citizens of a particular state, that state constitution applies to us when in our own state. Outside of that state, we have no rights except those confided on us by the federal constitution, and the laws of the state we happen to be in as it applies to us. The second amendment really doesn't give us many right concerning firearms because the states reserve the right to grant those rights as they see fit. And the US Constitution allows the states to do that. Its called States Rights.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
bigdogger wrote:
Like I have said before, if you are so afraid or RVing and so incapable of making good campground choices that you need a deadly weapon at the ready 24/7/365 maybe you should consider another hobby.

We camp remote a lot, LEOs are hours away, If you can contact one, There are many Illegal Immigrants poaching game in the state forests and tree farms. They do not value your life very much.

I like the camping and do not believe I'll stop because of them.

There are many places to camp where illegals are not and the chances of needing a handgun are slight to non existent.

I think I will stand by my earlier point-in all but a few states harming someone (or worse) and the legal and financial consequences far out weigh carrying a handgun.

Camp in better places-and pay more for that campsite-it will be far cheaper in the long run.

I think it's real easy to say-"I'm going to carry my handgun because it's my right no matter how the laws are written." Yep, shoot or kill someone and you will be asking yourself if it was worth it.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
musicman54 wrote:

instead of being judgmental, maybe you could explain the meaning for those of us not so well informedโ€ฆ

but you need to also be able to define Arms as referenced in the 2nd Amendment by its authors โ€ฆ or what they could have possibly envisioned as Arms, 200 hundred+ years laterโ€ฆ

you might also enlighten us on why the 2nd amendment was thought to be needed in the first place, and why it mentions security of a free state, and what is meant by thatโ€ฆ

when written did the 2nd amendment cover all Americans, and which American peopleโ€™s right to bear Arms shall not be infringed upon at the time of passageโ€ฆ

while the 2nd amendment is short, and I agree with the individual right to bear Arms it guarantees, its explanations and history might not be so short and straight forwardโ€ฆ

that may mean the intent was not as short or as straight forward as the amendment eitherโ€ฆ

if I might ask what is your source of information or expertise on the subject???

unfortunately I am not as well versed as many or as well as I should beโ€ฆ

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boy, are these camping firearms discussions depressing.

Even in the Wild West gun carrying cowboys carried them out in the open in hip holsters. Even then, in many towns they had to check them in at the sheriff's office so they wouldn't get into trouble while in town.

It's really scary to have private citizens carrying concealed weapons - considering all the folks walking around out there with undiagnosed mental illness, road rage, excessive drinking, recreational drug use, poor anger management skills, general depression issues, posttraumatic stress disorder, and various other types of psychosis. Many of these type disorders are just below the surface in seemingly "normal/nice/trustworhy" people who as of yet may have no history of behavioral issues. Concealed weapon permits do not vet-out or screen-out these type of hidden or latent tendencies. People with CC permits also can change later after getting a permit in the past - but if they already have a CC permit when they begin to go south emotionally - then they're legally able to keep right on carrying a deadly weapon that is not visable to others. Scary stuff.

Concealed weapons have no business in the general population - including being carried by retired folks who once had permits to carry them in their professional careers. When they retire, the CC permit should get revoked.

If you think you gotta have a weapon in an RV for "protection" - make it a long gun - such as a 20 guage shotgun.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
bigdogger wrote:
Like I have said before, if you are so afraid or RVing and so incapable of making good campground choices that you need a deadly weapon at the ready 24/7/365 maybe you should consider another hobby.

We camp remote a lot, LEOs are hours away, If you can contact one, There are many Illegal Immigrants poaching game in the state forests and tree farms. They do not value your life very much.

I like the camping and do not believe I'll stop because of them.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.