cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling without your firearms

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have tried to retrieve an article, from the net, from a few days ago about a Motorist traveling through Maryland. Can't find it but here is what I read.
A Family from Florida were traveling through Maryland, to New Jersey for aa Family function.
He has a CCW permit from Florida. Because he perceived there might be a problem in certain states he left his handgun at home.
A Maryland transportation Officer proceeded to intercept, trail and pull in front of hom aand then back of him aagain for many minutes and several miles.
He hadn't committed any traffic offenses. Finally he was pulled over and persecuted. He wanted to know where his handgun was. He handcuffed the Citizen and grilled him after being repeatedly told he did not have it with him and tore the car apart looking for handgun, in front off his wife and children. Apparently the Administration puts everyone's dosier, on the network and if you legally own a firearm, they will persecute you, in places like Maryland. He was released with a written warning but for what. Maryland Officials apologized after the persecution took place though.
It now is questionable as our ability to travel unimpeded as no justification is needed to be stopped and and persecuted and whole family terrorized, if you legally have a ccw or perhaps other legal activities where you live or anything.
Perhaps tis is what the Good Lord had in mind when several years ago he sat on my shoulder and told me not to take the CC@ course. I did anyway but after completing it I never went to get the certificiate and get the CCW permit. His presence and insistence not to do it stopped me. Our Law the Constitution is the only Law except where Tyrants are now in charge. If you have a CCS or even a registered firearm You may be pulled over and harassed even if it is not with you in places like Maryland. Mod..trim if you think too politiaal
27 REPLIES 27

westend
Explorer
Explorer
From the article, it sounds like everyone was playing by the rules.

It went South when the passenger, when asked, said the gun may have been in the glove box. That contradicted what the driver told the LEO and is probable cause that a crime may have been committed.

That the driver was cited with a warning kind of makes me think there might have been an additional traffic violation issue. From the quotes in the article it appears the driver slowed down when they realized LEO was behind them. If they slowed to below the speed limit by a lot, it may have awakened the officer's spidey sense.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
A long time ago I met a retired cop and got to talking about weapons. He said if you feel so threatend buy a can of mace or pepper spray. There is a retired captain in Tampa Bay thinking right now he should have left his gun at home. Two lives forever ruined. Before someone goes nuts, they should always remember what they used to say "count to ten, slowly" maybe change it to a hundred.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a scare story but, there is probably some truth in it. Some cops can be over zealous in there duties and the wife screwed up. She should have kept her mouth shut. But, there is lot there we are not being told. Why was he pulled over in the first place? I had a cop in SD pull me over once because I had recently been involved in a fender bender, was in a 10 year old car, and it had MN plates on it because that is where I am from. That was enough to make him suspicious and he pulled me over. Something like this happened here and then after the wife opened her mouth the whole thing got escalated. Something like this happens all the time.

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, read the linked story, still think it's BS. It's an editorial column from a single FL newspaper with no outside verification. But now, I don't think someone is having sport with the OP, I agree with the poster who said it's a scare story.
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

troll3193
Explorer
Explorer
It's a real article here is a link

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/15/gun-owners-encounter-with-police-disturbed-him-so-much-th...

Not sure how CPL training goes in his home state, but MI training you are taught that the first thing you should say when pulled over or engaged by an officer is that you have a CPL and whether or not you have a weapon with you.

Also given guidance to have your hands in clear sight when the officer approaches the car, as they know because the tie between your license registration info and your CPL that you car has a CPL carrier in it.

Since it is somewhat tied to the car, when I loan my cars out to folks, I make sure they know to have their hands in clear sight, and inform the officer that they do not have a CPL or weapon.

Honestly I think the guy screwed up.

First if I travel in another state or through one, I have to adhere to the reciprocity agreements with my home state CPL laws. It is my responsibility to know that.

Second, even if I was not carrying, if I were pulled over in any US state I would have my hands in clear sight, explain that I have a MI CPL and whether or not I have a weapon/s in the car.

My $.02 worth,

Bryan
2006 RAM 3500 MegaCab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel
Mopar Exhaust Brake
2004 Dutchemen 31BK

shakyjay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clicky

Here's the link.

Can't comment as far as how accurate it is.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
link

Is this what you are referring to?

Original artical
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
I read the same story a few days ago from the Tampa Tribune.

http://tbo.com/list/columns-tjackson/jackson-gun-owner-unarmed-unwelcome-in-maryland-20140112/

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
Just did a Google search for news items with the words RV, CCW, FL and MD, got no hits that sounded remotely similar. I think someone is having sport with you. ๐Ÿ˜‰
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a scare into action story from one side of a public debateโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Spleenstomper wrote:
The story sounds like BS

YEP, that would have been all over the NRA page had it happened.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Spleenstomper
Explorer
Explorer
The story sounds like BS but you do have to be aware of what states allow firearms. In other words, It is your responsibility to check the laws in each state, even if you are just traveling through.
Jennifer plus Hubby empty nest and two spoiled English bulldogs

2020 Momentum 320G with king bed!
2014 Ford F 350 DRW Lariat

The Toys:
Jacked up EX go,Old Yamaha 4 wheeler,Polaris RZR (seats 2)
Robalo R 227 dual console

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
And you heard about this where again? Sounds like so much BS to me.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population