cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Cable Ties brittle on roof due to UV. What to do?

stevekk
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions.
They are held on w/ double stick tape.
The bases are good. Just the Clip is cracking and breaking off.

Any suggestions fro a replacement. Any metal ones available?
Anything metal with double stick tape to apply to roof?
Maybe modify the existing ones? The plastic bases look good. THANKS

10 REPLIES 10

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get some 4" eternabond tape and cover the wire
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
Take them completely off and use a dab of Dicor Lap Seal every 4-5 inches. Will hold nearly for ever. Never, never use silicone on the roof, or anywhere near your RV for that matter.

That is what I'd do as well, or leave them and cover them with the Dicor Lap Seal if you wish to save a bit of work.

Dicor makes wonderful roofing products.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rockylarson
Explorer
Explorer
My solar panel cables on the roof have been solidly in place for over 8 years. Just a dab or two every couple of feet with:

3M Marine 4000 UV

I suggest just apply to your current footings with perhaps some tape to hold the wire in place until it cures.
Jan and Rocky
Volunteers for USFWS. 29 refuges with 9300 hrs ea since 2006. 2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty Jet, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
As an ET that has used about 1 million nylon ties just replace them with black ones. They will last for years. Do not use metal ones because you could easily over tighten them and damage the cable.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take them completely off and use a dab of Dicor Lap Seal every 4-5 inches. Will hold nearly for ever. Never, never use silicone on the roof, or anywhere near your RV for that matter.

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
Silicone glues everything. Put some one the pad and tape the pad to the camper until dry. A day or so. If the gray holder is ok and not sun craazed that should work and use the black or stainless tywraps.

jpfx
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure that SS clips aren't going to affect the signal in the cable (unless it's armoured), reflections and whatnot?
my cable runs are held in place using blobs of non-sagging lap sealant. (and) while I didn't much like the idea to start off with, it's been fine and does the job well.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
McMaster=Carr has them:

SS Ties

stevekk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. The existing clips are not nylon.
They are a gray colored plastic.
The roof of my MH is Fiberglass and is a 2011.
So didn't take long for the UV to get to them and destroy.

Regarding the availability of metal clips,
Do they have a stainless steel or galvanized clip?
Thus no rusting?

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
From the pictures, those ties look like the white nylon ties. If so, they are NOT UV resistant.

There are UV resistant ties available, usually in the black color.

Yes, you can get metal ties, but I would worry about rusting and then having rust stains down the side of the camper.

Steve