cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washing Machine Odor

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
Im looking for any advice or recommendations on how to get a lingering odor out of my Splendide 2100xc. The Unit is about 2 and a half years old and is frequently used as I am a full timer. I've heard of using a mixture of vinegar and baking soda usually fixes this issue but wanted to hear from other who have had this issue and want to know how you handled this situation? :h
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours
23 REPLIES 23

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
We have a front load in our home and odor is a common problem. After searching the net for info what works for us is to occasionally run through a packet of washing machine cleaner. The best thing that seems to help the most is to leave the door open a while after the last load so it dries out.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
I work for a company the services coin washers and dryers at universities and apartments. I have been doing this for almost 27 years. I worked for Sears before that.

The washer has probably retained some soap film on the inside of the tub. Not the clothes basket, but the tub.

If the washer does not have a clean cycle, just run a hot wash cycle with no clothes in it. You can use the Alfresh tablets from the stores or something similar. Or vinegar. Put in a half gallon of cheep vinegar after the washer has filled up all the way (as far as it normally does) and an additional gallon of more hot water. You could put in the other half gallon and more water in the rinse cycle also if needed. The extra water is the secret to cleaning the whole inside of the tub.

The front door seal also needs to be cleaned with a soapy bleach mix. Using a toilet bowel brush or something like that will do the job. Do the door seal before the tub cleaning.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you leave the door open whenever you're not using the washer. This allows the rubber gaskets to dry out and not mildew. This is a big problem with front loaders
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't have a washing machine/dryer, but did you check the dust vent?

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:

Tide sells a cleaning product that is aimed at people who have the front door HE full size home washers. Might have bleach in it. Basically, put it in and run a cycle.

Maybe contact Splendide first to see if it safe to use this product ?

Since you can add bleach to a Splendide to clean clothes, you can certainly use it to just clean the Splendide itself.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
there is also a clean out on the bottom front right hand corner of your 2100XC. You have to pop open the bottom white cover to see the clean out. I clean that out at least once a year. depending upon what you find in the clean out, that may be the source of your odor. Be prepared with a large towel when you open it up because there will be about a cup or two water drain out.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Odor is probably coming from the rubber door sealing ring. Peel it open a little and see if there is water trapped in it. Give it the nose test.

Tide sells a cleaning product that is aimed at people who have the front door HE full size home washers. Might have bleach in it. Basically, put it in and run a cycle.

Maybe contact Splendide first to see if it safe to use this product ?

If you do this I would run a nice long cycle afterwards just to make sure all the bleachy residue is gone and completely out of your grey tank and drain and sewer hoses.

I'll also provide a little advice.

I have the Splendide separates and follow the same regimen that I did with my home units. The washer door is always completely open except if I'm towing my fiver. The rubber seal tends to stay wet and allows odors, etc to form if the door is kept closed. I've been full timing now for 3 years and no odors from mine. I have not had to use any cleaner products.

There is also a little drain hole at the bottom of the rubber seal that can become plugged with lint.

My apologies if you are already doing this.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Like a home front-loader, I would guess the odor is coming from around the door seal, not from the washer itself.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We use bleach.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs