cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wasp nest in a/c unit, how would you deal with it?

White_Knight_II
Explorer
Explorer
I was up on the roof of the fifth wheel cleaning today and found a wasp nest approximately one foot in diameter, mostly inside the cover. I've dealt with nests underneath, where a person can spray the nest, and run like heck, and repeat until all are dead. I'm pretty sure I don't want to try that on the roof. I might wait until freezeup and take care of it once they go into hibernation. Any suggestions?
20 REPLIES 20

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
A small propane torch at the nest entrance works well. I have used this method quite a few times and never had a bee escape. Never scorched wood or plastic material it was attached to.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
When cool, no sun on cover, use a car wash attachment, soap dispenser sprayer with a bit of bug spray in the mix. From the ladder spray good though the little vents. Maybe from both sides. Wait a few minutes after not seeing any more wasp perhaps tap the cover with pole.
Rinse out with the hose so no soap or anything else is going to possibly damage anything in the sun.
Tap shroud a couple of times to make sure no more wasps. Some may have been out while you were spraying and return during or after.
It will be a mess to clean out of the shroud.
I like the CO2 fire extingusiher idea if it wouldn't make the shroud, and anything brittle or something.
Anyone know?

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Malathion... they drop as fast as it hits them!
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Turner__P
Explorer
Explorer
I like Pauljdav's answer.........it is messy but so effective. Only 1 application needed.
Paul T

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Give the wife a fly swatter and tell her not to get down till they are all dead.
Dennis Hoppert

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
I just realized just how far north Thompson is in Manitoba. If you don't need the trailer, I'd wait for the first hard freeze.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Is the nest under the cover? If so I would try to get the cover off.

I do not like poisons so close to my living quarters so I would be going with the shop-vac or destroy the nest with water or stick when they are least active. Could take a few days.
Maybe haul the RV to a new location every couple hours to lose the active ones.

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
I cry like a Baby and talk about my arthritis and poor vision and how much I worry about how my wife will get along without me and guilt one of my grown sons to take care of it. :B
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Plastic or garbage bag and bug bomb would be the least "interesting" but we all have good wasp stories, so maybe make it something a little more risky for the entertainemrnt value! Lol

Also it's a wives tale that they don't fly at night. They will get you and you can bet that they are all at home waiting vs in the day where a bunch are gone at any given time.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
Dynamite. Then report damaged trailer for insurance claim to get new trailer. No more wasps.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Just got stung, last week by a wasp. Got me in the ear as I was standing in an out building. Little bastards!

If I had them in an A/C unit, I'd cover the shroud with a garbage bag and introduce some bee killer in the bag. Best to do this early in the morning or after sundown.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
This is a great way to deal with it. It also works really good when you have them in an attic and you can just see the hole they're coming out of. I'm not a huge fan of spraying poison into an area I'll be occupying. I usually run it for more than an hour. That way you get the ones that are leaving the nest and the ones returning.

rbrand wrote:
If you can get a Shop vac hose close to the entrance put an inch of water in the shop vac and a bit of dish detergent. Let it run for an hour. You will have most of them doing the backstroke in the shop vac. Then blast away.

Tape down the hose.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Biker1mike
Explorer
Explorer
How would I deal with it? Either the wife goes after them or I call a pro.
One sting and I am on benadryl. Two or three and it is an epi pen and a hospital visit.
Six foot , 250 pounds and I run like a little kid from bees.
Mike
'12 Honda Ridgeline pulling '07 Rockwood pop-up

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Deal with them after sunset when they are at rest. Spray the nest for a couple of nights and should be good to go. I use Spectricide Wasp Spray from Home Depot. Stops them dead in their tracks.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian