cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is so facinating about closing time?

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
We close our office and store at 10PM. After about 8PM it slows down, save for the late check ins. After about 9:30PM we start cleaning, vacuuming and getting things in line for the next day, since the office and store is a ghost town. Then at 9:55 you can almost count on one or two groups to come in, wander around the store aimlessly, picking up and examining every item in the store, not taking any hints that we may be ready to close, such as us turning off the display lights, putting the covers over the computer terminals etc. They will inevitably stay until about 10:15 and then mosey on out without making so much as a ten cent purchase. I know this is common throughout all retail and extends into the dining industry as well. I have a good friend who owns a high end restaurant, and he has the same experience, some diner will linger for an hour after closing and finishing their meals, not ordering anything more expensive than a refill of their ice water, oblivious to the employees who would like nothing more than to close up and go home. And to top it off, he says they are always bad tippers, a problem I don't have to worry about. Just what is the big thrill?
79 REPLIES 79

Lar114
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcaneer wrote:
I really do enjoy most of westernrvparkowner posts. This is not one of them. A business owner that doesn't want customers at any time, is maybe in the wrong business. If you don't want to close earlier, then suck it up and serve your customers. You said they checked in to your campground, right? Did they pay in advance for their stay? Does their money go into your company account? If they want a glass of ice water, give it to them with a smile. When they leave, then go home. If you can't do that, you are in the wrong business. Where would you be without customers.

Why don't you tell us the parks you own? So we can be sure NOT to bother you, with our business.

Maybe you're just having a bad day. I hope things get better for you. For your benefit, I hope the mod's blow this thread away. You are better than this.
It's remarks like this that show how ignorant and disrespectful some people can be. If I need to go to the store because I forgot something and I know they are closing in 15 minutes or less, then I guess I'll have to wait till the next day. No need to cop an attitude and throw remarks around like I'll just take my business elsewhere. I treat people like I would like to be treated, with respect, but it sure seems to be on a steady decline.
Larry and Wife Debbie
2016 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2 Liter 3:73 Axle.
2004 Dutchmen Sport 26L 7546 lbs. Loaded.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
HeeHawHoney wrote:
Ask them if you can help them, and if they say, "Nah, just looking.", hand them a broom and tell them you're closing up and sure could use some help. I'm betting they'll be more than happy to leave, or you might just get some free sweeping done.
Now this is an answer I could get swept up in. Thanks

HeeHawHoney
Explorer
Explorer
Ask them if you can help them, and if they say, "Nah, just looking.", hand them a broom and tell them you're closing up and sure could use some help. I'm betting they'll be more than happy to leave, or you might just get some free sweeping done.
"The Hilton"
2002 Jayco 3100SS
Brett and Tracy and Bella (The Beautiful Bulldog)
My Blog - Alabama Overdrive
Pic of "The Hilton"
Pic of "The Beautiful Bulldog"
Pic of Brett and Tracy

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
When I was a teen working for a major chain grocery store we would start turning out lights. If they did not get the hint we would turn out more lights. Some were so dense it would almost be completely dark before they would get it.

Or maybe they couldnโ€™t see well enough to find their items in a reasonable timeโ€ฆ:)
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Sound like there are a lot of people in retail that shouldnโ€™t have beenโ€ฆif you post your hours that you are open, then you should be open the hours postedโ€ฆ the last fifteen minutes is no different than the first 15โ€ฆ
If you in the food service business and your posted closing time is 8 you know your work hours are until nine, plan accordinglyโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I was a teen working for a major chain grocery store we would start turning out lights. If they did not get the hint we would turn out more lights. Some were so dense it would almost be completely dark before they would get it.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
A lot depends on who the customer is also, Your good ones, you will stay late, do everything you can to make them happy.,

Others ( a small percentage) you just feel like they are trying to beat you up every way they can. Their attitude makes it pretty clear, it is all about them. And how much they can get out of you for free.

They could care less if you are having a stroke right in front of them as long as they get what they want.

Those are the tough ones to put up with. And will considerably shorten your life, if you let them run over you

That's my way of thinking anyway, after 35 years of running my own small biz.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
I had a retail business for 22 years. If a customer had a legitimate reason for me staying late, I would happily do so. If there were customers in the store near closing I would state that I would be closing in 15 minutes....and do so. I never had an issue with people abusing that.

I would suggest that you be firm in stating the close time, and then do it.
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
8iron wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:
I would love to tell you the names of my parks if it would keep you away and that would be the end of it. But we all know that once that information became public, you and those of your ilk would pound it into everyone's head to avoid those parks, even though you have no idea how I actually operate. But back to the point, if you feel you need to do all the things I post about that drive me nuts, I don't want you in the park. If my store and office being open from 7AM to 10PM doesn't work for you, go elsewhere. I won't miss you. If you don't believe that a business can offer good service without blindly allowing the customers to do what the heck ever you want, you won't find my business acceptable.

Score one for the small business owners who love their customers but also have a life outside of work...it's really hard to look your wife and kids in the face and tell them sorry you missed another dinner, dance recital, hockey practice, movie etc. because you have a hard time saying no to the last minute/ it's an emergency customer. Deep down you worry that turning away that customer could result in lost business or lost good will.
Oh to be a big box store where customers expect to be treated like a number.

Exactly why we shortened hours. We now have a life, and still serve our guests above expectations. The big box stores can have the rest.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcaneer wrote:

Why don't you tell us the parks you own?

Thanks to the anonymity factor of internet forums like this one, this is pretty much just a place for folks to vent. Western is no exception- no need to "out" him or his Park location(s?),if he doesn't see fit to disclose them.

I'm pretty sure that lots of folks here wouldn't say half of what they say if there was any chance of others putting a real name/location to their posts, or if there was any other consequence attached.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

8iron
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
I would love to tell you the names of my parks if it would keep you away and that would be the end of it. But we all know that once that information became public, you and those of your ilk would pound it into everyone's head to avoid those parks, even though you have no idea how I actually operate. But back to the point, if you feel you need to do all the things I post about that drive me nuts, I don't want you in the park. If my store and office being open from 7AM to 10PM doesn't work for you, go elsewhere. I won't miss you. If you don't believe that a business can offer good service without blindly allowing the customers to do what the heck ever you want, you won't find my business acceptable.

Score one for the small business owners who love their customers but also have a life outside of work...it's really hard to look your wife and kids in the face and tell them sorry you missed another dinner, dance recital, hockey practice, movie etc. because you have a hard time saying no to the last minute/ it's an emergency customer. Deep down you worry that turning away that customer could result in lost business or lost good will. Oh to be a big box store where customers expect to be treated like a number.
2014 F350 Lariat
2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 29ss

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Vulcaneer wrote:
I really do enjoy most of westernrvparkowner posts. This is not one of them. A business owner that doesn't want customers at any time, is maybe in the wrong business. If you don't want to close earlier, then suck it up and serve your customers. You said they checked in to your campground, right? Did they pay in advance for their stay? Does their money go into your company account? If they want a glass of ice water, give it to them with a smile. When they leave, then go home. If you can't do that, you are in the wrong business. Where would you be without customers.

Why don't you tell us the parks you own? So we can be sure NOT to bother you, with our business.

Maybe you're just having a bad day. I hope things get better for you. For your benefit, I hope the mod's blow this thread away. You are better than this.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I got out of the OP is that Western does NOT own the campground where the big Hamfest is held! That store is not open until 2200, and once you have checked in there is nothing to go back there for anyway except maybe an ice cream bar.
I don't think he owns the park we occasionally stay at in Deer Lodge, either. Again, the office isn't open that late, and there is little to buy in the store.
Since nearly all of my other campsites are in Forest Service Campgrounds, I don't have to have any concerns abut encroaching on Western.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

classicdude
Explorer
Explorer
I've been guilty on many occasions of hurrying to get to my favorite restaurant before they closed, especially after a night of partying (when I was much younger). It wasn't uncommon for them to still have several customers finishing up nearly an hour after closing, and that included me and my date. I think people assume that last minute drop ins are built into the closing time. I don't think anyone intentionally makes life difficult for others.

I do things much differently now though. If I ask a place to wait an extra 15 minutes, I WILL be there in 15 or less and will thank them profusely. If I am a last minute customer, I will hurry and be ready to leave at closing time.

Again, I don't think people intentionally set out to do this stuff. They simply don't give proper thought to the fact that their worlds often intersect and affect the worlds of other people.
2006 Trail Vision 19QB
2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 3:73
Drawtite WD 1000#