cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are you NOT camping this summer.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the other members started a thread asking where you plan to camp this summer. What places are you going to avoid this summer and what is your reasons?

For Example : such and such place is to crowded, such and such place is doing remodeling this year, such and such place is over priced.

Lets try to be polite to one another. After all we all like different things but, maybe you can post something that will help someone else with similar likes avoid a bad experience.
45 REPLIES 45

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We looked into camping in Idaho during the solar eclipse, but it didn't seem prudent to travel 600 miles for an overnight stay for a Monday event.

We had hoped to camp in Banff & Jasper National Parks for the first time this summer, but most places are full. We'll try Canada in the fall or more likely next summer.
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
We are NOT camping anywhere in the summer.
We avoid camping in the summer because of all the crowds.

We camped in the spring and fall, when there's less people.

Same here, traditionally don't camp in the summer at all and like to just enjoy our pool at home. We will however be camping in GSMNP for the August eclipse. There seems to be availability at the Townsend KOA if anyone in that area is looking for spots - at least there was a few days ago.
2014 Berkshire 360QL

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of New England, Florida, and southern California.

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
I am not going anywhere in California because I like to run my Genny. 🙂 just funning. Because I don't get enough time off.
Full timing it since July 2012

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
We won't be camping in Aruba or St. Croix, due to the Cummins flooding out en route last time we tried.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
Hope I do not have to camp anywhere this year. :R

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Not camping south of the 49th parallel.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
We will not be camping anywhere other than in Montana. There is a LOT of our home state we have not seen!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure I won't be doing any camping in Hawaii this year! :B

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not camping on any holiday weekend. :B

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:
dennis1 wrote:
NYCgrri,,
You kind of missed the point. Wanted to see the solar eclipse. Doesn't do much good to get a camp site after the event.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.......the quote above was posted about 3 days ago and there is still availability at various OR. locales in the path of the eclipse that include the 08/21/17 date of the event, or am I wrong on the time frame? Just checked SANDBEACH, OR, and a first come, first in RV non electric site is available using the dates of Thu Aug 17 2017 thru Tue Aug 22 2017. Now I don't know that part of the state so am sure you can better pick a site closer to your locale.

HTH

The eclipse is the morning of the 21st, but only crosses a narrow part of north central Oregon. Sand Beach Campground is north of the path.

Oregon State Parks even opened the reservation window months earlier than normal at midnight for Beaverly Beach which sits right under the center. It was booked solid when I checked at 12:05.

Fortunately I met a gentleman at a beach timeshare this winter who has a farm that also sits right in the path. We're invited to camp at his place to watch it. 🙂

On topic: We're not camping in any of the campgrounds in the path of the eclipse that night.
\
"Ahh!" said as the light switches on. Not an area anyone can see the eclipse.
Coming from a woman who once left Barcelona to go ocean swimming in Madrid makes perfect sense:B.

The important part is you found a place to see the sky the way you want. I'll be in the Caribbean on the date so have no Madrid excuse to put out, LOL.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
NYCgrrl wrote:
dennis1 wrote:
NYCgrri,,
You kind of missed the point. Wanted to see the solar eclipse. Doesn't do much good to get a camp site after the event.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.......the quote above was posted about 3 days ago and there is still availability at various OR. locales in the path of the eclipse that include the 08/21/17 date of the event, or am I wrong on the time frame? Just checked SANDBEACH, OR, and a first come, first in RV non electric site is available using the dates of Thu Aug 17 2017 thru Tue Aug 22 2017. Now I don't know that part of the state so am sure you can better pick a site closer to your locale.

HTH

The eclipse is the morning of the 21st, but only crosses a narrow part of north central Oregon. Sand Beach Campground is north of the path.

Oregon State Parks even opened the reservation window months earlier than normal at midnight for Beaverly Beach which sits right under the center. It was booked solid when I checked at 12:05.

Fortunately I met a gentleman at a beach timeshare this winter who has a farm that also sits right in the path. We're invited to camp at his place to watch it. 🙂

On topic: We're not camping in any of the campgrounds in the path of the eclipse that night.

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Any campgrounds next to freeways. Florida. About 25 states in two months planned in the fall and winter. A little in the spring.
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
We are NOT camping anywhere in the summer.
We avoid camping in the summer because of all the crowds.

We camped in the spring and fall, when there's less people.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Jbrowland wrote:
IdaD wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:
Florida, for personal and economic reasons.

I have to travel there a few times a year for work. I am highly confused as to why anybody would voluntarily enter that state, for recreational purposes or otherwise.

Some of the best scuba diving in our wonderful country, cuban sandwiches, clear blue waters, outstanding college football, my crazy family, humidity and mosquitos. That's all I got. 🙂

Love Cuban sandwiches. And congee. And a childhood friend's abuela's fried doughnuts and our weekend trips to La Marqueta with her!

There was a large Cuban community in NYC that has unfortunately almost disappeared from a restaurant POV:(.

The man's remaining family lives in FL and he visits about 2-3 times a year; I stay home when he goes, and visit the further south Caribbean when I need beautiful water, skeeters, and muggy weather:).