cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterized fuel

Showme_5vr
Explorer
Explorer
Taking a trip in the near future. Is the diesel fuel sold in Oklahoma and Texas this time of year winterized?
Steve & Judy 2023 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Crew Cab LWB, 2017 Grand Design Reflections 337RLS
Lifetime Good Sam Member
16 REPLIES 16

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
mpierce wrote:
john&bet wrote:
nomad 289 wrote:
ShotinAz wrote:
At what temperature does diesel gel?

17.5 F

Problem is, the wax crystals that form and clog your fuel filter then have to be heated up to around 32F to unmelt and remix.

Don't think all Engine block heaters heat the filter/fuel pump, so I use an additive when Daytime temps of below 32 are forecast.
I must be one very lucky dude. I have never used an additive in my truck. I even drove it to Great Falls,MT. at Christmas time of '12. I have no cord for the block heater either. Several nights in Great Falls it fell to -4 and truck started right up. Never had a gelling issue going out I-70 then north or coming back via I-90 and I-80. All the way across Iowa it was 0 degrees. Truck performed as expected and it is a 2wd if that makes any difference to you 4x4 fans that insist that all tv trucks need to 4x4. JME.

At those temps, you will probably always be ok. But when it gets COLD, fuel WILL gel. I drive almost every winter at -30F, and have been driving at -40F. If you think regular #2 will be ok, go ahead. You can usually get a tow truck out in a few hours! LOL

Fuel is usualy winter ized to "local conditions". However, I can fuel in GA, and drive to ND! Might be 70 when I fuel, and -40 when I arrive! Need to do some planning here.
You are right. I did not say it never happened to me cause it did one year. Jan. '88 on I-80 in either ILL or IA. Wind chill was like -40 or -50. It was an International straight truck full of day old chicks picked up in IN. A whole lot of other trucks were having trouble that nite. We R&Red the filter and went on our way.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
john&bet wrote:
nomad 289 wrote:
ShotinAz wrote:

17.5 F

Problem is, the wax crystals that form and clog your fuel filter then have to be heated up to around 32F to unmelt and remix.

Don't think all Engine block heaters heat the filter/fuel pump, so I use an additive when Daytime temps of below 32 are forecast.
I must be one very lucky dude. I have never used an additive in my truck. I even drove it to Great Falls,MT. at Christmas time of '12. I have no cord for the block heater either. Several nights in Great Falls it fell to -4 and truck started right up. Never had a gelling issue going out I-70 then north or coming back via I-90 and I-80. All the way across Iowa it was 0 degrees. Truck performed as expected and it is a 2wd if that makes any difference to you 4x4 fans that insist that all tv trucks need to 4x4. JME.

At those temps, you will probably always be ok. But when it gets COLD, fuel WILL gel. I drive almost every winter at -30F, and have been driving at -40F. If you think regular #2 will be ok, go ahead. You can usually get a tow truck out in a few hours! LOL

Fuel is usualy winter ized to "local conditions". However, I can fuel in GA, and drive to ND! Might be 70 when I fuel, and -40 when I arrive! Need to do some planning here.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
chevyman2 wrote:
I would say in OK-YES. In north to central TX-YES. In southern TX-NO. Regardless of what "might" be. Go get some "diesel emergency 911" that stuff is awesome.

The 911 stuff in the red bottle is only supposed to be used in an "emergency". You should use the stuff in the white bottle for daily driving.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
As an Iowa farmer, I can tell you that it is no fun to have a diesel gel up in very cold temperatures. I would recommend that you add some diesel flow or 911 just to be safe. Some stations cheat on their winter fuel mix. As said above, you have to remove the fuel filters to get them to flow again. Been there, done that!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I think what it means is that the fuel you bought was adequately treated for the temps you drove in. That's the way it's suppposed to work.

Remember, the truckers drive those routes every day and they depend on the truck stops to have fuel that won't jel.

And if I was you I would not switch from the current place you're buying fuel in your home area during winter because they're obviously doing a good job too.

I used to live in Iowa and in winter I always bought my fuel at truck stops. That pretty much solved my jell problem. The in-town stations didn't turn over diesel as fast and I think that meant they were always behind the curve on carrying fuel that was adequately treated for the current temps. This was 30 years ago when there were not as many diesel passenger vehicles as there are now. Even now, when it gets to be REALLY cold, I would still be looking for a high volume truckstop to get fuel.

One of the differences between gas motors and diesel motors in winter is that once you get a gas engine started in subfreezing weather, you're usually good to go.

But a diesel is different. If you plug in that block heater, the engine may very well start and run just fine. Maybe the underhood warmth from the block heater has warmed the filter too. But once you start running down the road, that cold fuel from the tank starts flowing and rapidly cools down the filter (especially on a highway), and can lead to the fuel jelling up if it's not treated. And that may happen several miles down the road. Ask me how I know. GRRRRRRR.

Tim

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
nomad 289 wrote:
ShotinAz wrote:

17.5 F

2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

nomad_289
Explorer
Explorer
ShotinAz wrote:

17.5 F

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
I use additive this time of year (central Illinois). When we take off for Florida shortly I will still use it all the way through Georgia, just in case.

Generally I stick with major truck stops when refueling. I guess my thinking is that they may have a slightly better winter blend since many of their customers are traveling cross country.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Shot-N-Az wrote:

Straight #2 it is around 20 degrees, but with winter blends you can go much lower.
I use Opti-Lube XPD and it also resist gelling.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer

nomad_289
Explorer
Explorer
Early last December fuel was gelled for an entire week before I could start mt vehicle. Winterized fuel Should Have been in pumps one month prior.

Adding a few bucks of Power Service was the first thing I did for this recent severe weather--which is 25-40 degrees below "normal".

Once you're gelled you need to disassemble the fuel filter to pour in the 911, not something I was interested in at 0 degrees.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
The term 'winterized' has many meanings. And 'Winterized' in Minnesota is a whole lot different then in Oklahoma or Texas.

Straight #2 can be winterized by adding chemicals or by adding #1 diesel (the best way). The mix is adjusted (at the wholesaler or pump) as it gets colder - less #1 in Nov/early December and a higher percentage of #1 in Jan/Feb.

If traveling north to south you will have no worries because the fuel in your tank will be 'over-winterized', but if going south to north it's the opposite and I would be careful. Buy fuel much more often as you travel north so you get the right mix for the area. And I would buy fuel only at major truck stops as they should be up to speed on the right mix and be turning over fuel much faster then in-town stations.

Been there and done that. Coughing to a stop on a highway in frigid conditions because of jelled fuel is probably my worst winter memory. And if that happens, all the additives in the world won't help.

Tim

msjdbman
Explorer
Explorer
A jug of Power Service with anti gel wouldn't be a bad idea just for good measure. Plus the lubricating properties and an added bonus.
2008 Duramax/Allison LT2 Crew cab Standard Box. Hellwig Air Assist. BD Diesel VVT Turbo Brake. 2003 Coachmen Chaparral 295 IKS

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
I would say in OK-YES. In north to central TX-YES. In southern TX-NO. Regardless of what "might" be. Go get some "diesel emergency 911" that stuff is awesome.
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream