cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A warning for my BBQ'ing friends

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had a rash (5) of folks going to the ER with steel bristles lodged in their tongue/throat lately. Everything is being made cheaper these days and I guess BBQ brushes are no exception.

The recommendation is to wipe down your grill with a wet cloth after brushing. 🙂
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.
40 REPLIES 40

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Buzzcut1 wrote:
SWD wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
gee now you tell me...

of course I do use a wooden handled industrial brush anyways

Looks like that one got nuked!

no it's the sugar in the terriaki marinade carmelizing

Love that Terriaki marinade... but dang it sure do make a mess on the grill.... Gotta really clean it off..

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
SWD wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
gee now you tell me...

no it's the sugar in the terriaki marinade carmelizing
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never had this problem, yet, but I also clean the grill off while it's still hot and the drippings still wet so they clean off easily. 😛
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
Wade up a piece of aluminum foil and srub grate with that. That is all that I have used for years.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know that the grill brushes pickup some flavor from the grill but I have never been tempted to lick the brush..........

I wash/dry my grill after using and then coat with oil using a paper towel before grilling. Don't even have a grill brush
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

River_Sand
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently this is a fairly big problem, because last week there was an article in our paper about the same thing.
I brush then wipe the grill with a paper towel sprayed with Pam, keeps things from sticking too.
River&Sand
05 Chev Ext.Cab K3500, Dmax/Alli, DRW, Reese Signature 18k, HappiJac, Jordan 2020
05 Lance 920 Truck Camper
06 Weekend Warrior LE3305, 5th Airborne, Dexter E-Z Flex 😄
01 HighJumper SandSprite 3 Dune Buggy :E

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
Eurocamper wrote:
X2 on the wadded up aluminum foil.

X3 on the wadded foil. It works much better than any brush and is safe. I switched after a local article discussed how fatal it is if one of those brush strands makes it into your intestines.

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
I too, found the little bristles on the grill itself and stopped using the bristles.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
I use the thin edge of a cedar siding Shake/shingle. The shake develops grooves as you push back and forth against the grill and wraps around to clean the sides. No stray metals deposited and a clean grill. I think it may actually add a slight cedar flavor to the BBQ to boot.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Where do you find a decent welding brush?

The only ones I can find are all cheap made-in-you-know-where garbage too!

Even the ones from the "professional" welding shops!

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are suppose to clean the grill????? I just let the dog clean it, keeps her amused for hours and it shines after :h

Maybe this is why the family doesn't eat when I barbeque?
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
gee now you tell me...

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
jmckelvy wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:

So breakfast is not the only mouth watering meals you prepare! :B

Well I was a restaurant chef for about 12 years.....
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

nolra
Explorer
Explorer
Clean the grill? That's just "seasoning"...
03 Dodge 2500 Cummins SB Quad
Casita 17" with D rated LT's
2004 AWD Astro van (solo camper) Lifted, locked, "E" AT/KOs.

Photo gallery

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:

So breakfast is not the only mouth watering meals you prepare! :B
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet