cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bedroom door or curtain?

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
As I'm searching for our next travel trailer, I notice that bedroom doors are kind of rare in the smaller, lighter models. Since my bride and I have different sleep cycles, I'm interested in finding a way to keep my puttering quiet while she sleeps. What is your experience with these units that have curtains? I wonder if I could add heavier ones that might help?
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
27 REPLIES 27

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Get the door, it is as valuable as a bathroom door.

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
We currently have three campers with very different layouts...
1) the "big house" is a destination trailer with a real door that is never closed. If the light or noise is bothering my wife (she goes to bed before me and awakens after me), I open the bathroom door.

2) the "guest quarters" is a bunk house that is on the lot adjacent to the big house. We sleep in this 3 or 4 weekends during the winter. It has a curtain that is always open. The generator is always running when we are sleeping in this camper. I replaced the bulbs in the light I use and they are much dimmer now. The helps with the light and the generator provides white noise for the TV. Family and friends who camp in this one during the summer don't have an issue - usually one partner goes to bed before the other and the night owl is playing around the campfire.

3) class B with a rear entry, center aisle and twin beds. No room, no privacy, but we have a ball traveling in this one!

We have fun and make it work in all of these configurations.
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
We have a door but I don't close it when I get up at 06:00. She sleeps right through whatever minor noise I might be making. She's more sensitive to the trailer shaking as I walk around than noise. No aerobics until she gets up.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
We have a curtain, it has never been a issue for us. We don't even use it, it's always open.

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 22ft Nomad with a curtain. My wife likes to sleep until 10 AM and I'm up around 6 AM. I just try to think ahead for the next morning on anything that will make noise and set it up the night before. After 8 AM, I will go outside for a walk, weather permitting. We rarely use the furnace that goes on and off. A heating blanket works good.I just installed the heater in the AC unit. I'm told these don't work to well, but anything would be ok for us. Sometimes, I even go back to bed until she gets up. Actually, the biggest problem is noisy neighbors. We use something that makes white noise as much as possible.

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the others, get a real door. Also be sure to get one with a bed long enough that your feet don't hang off the end.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have had both and will never buy another RV with a curtain for the door. I sold the RV and now have RV with a custom door from the ceiling to the floor.

Love it !!
samsontdog:o:W

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Our last TT had a curtain and with this TT we have a swinging , residential type door which I modified into a sliding door. tMy son gets up every morning before we do and plays his Nintendo on the couch. The door work great for keeping it quiet!

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the door !
She likes to sleep till 7:00 am and I like getting up at 5:00 AM

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the curtain - pretty much useless as a noise barrier.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

williams1989
Explorer
Explorer
We have had both...curtain and door. I love the door, husband can get, go down into living area, make his coffee, watch tv...never bothers me. I love having the door.
Happy Camping and Safe Travels!
The Williams Family

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
As I'm searching for our next travel trailer, I notice that bedroom doors are kind of rare in the smaller, lighter models. Since my bride and I have different sleep cycles, I'm interested in finding a way to keep my puttering quiet while she sleeps. What is your experience with these units that have curtains? I wonder if I could add heavier ones that might help?

Our previous KZ Spree's bedroom area was entirely open to the rest of the trailer so I did mount a track on the ceiling, allowing a curtain to be pulled across, as I'm an early riser but my wife loves to sleep in when camping. :W I thought it helped but she didn't seem to mind either way but what bothered me more was the mid entry door which was located right at the foot of the bed, making it difficult to exit or enter the camper quietly. 😞 Our current trailer is even shorter and also has a bed that's open to the rest of the trailer but when I offered to mount a similar curtain track my wife declined, saying she doesn't hear me banging around the camper at all, no doubt because we chose a model with a rear entry door that's well away from the sleeping area. 🙂 That said, several models in the Coachmen Freedom Express lineup that have a television island at the end of the bed also feature pocket doors on each side of island that can be used to close off the sleeping area entirely from the rest of the trailer. This Coachmen Freedom Express 231RBDS is one such example ... a very nice camper. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380