Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Delaminated Arctic Fox 811

trev1964
Explorer
Explorer
Ok!
I have bought an Arctic Fox 811 slide in camper, I love it. The shell 811 was used for a week by the previous owner, never used anything in it apart from the bed. So it is mint!!
The problem is the owner parked it and simply walked away, not maintaining the roof or any areas needing sealants, so its suffering severe delimitation. Any suggestions on repairing the 811? do it myself vs taking it to RV shop ?

Thanks

Trev
21 REPLIES 21

Jeepers92
Explorer
Explorer
I rebuilt the nose on my 06. Alum frame 811. I can help you with pics and what I did. I removed all the luan on the nose and replaced it with aluminum rivited to the frame. I ordered a new piece of filon for the nose. I removed all the front marker lights and replaced with well sealed leds. If you could post or send pics it would help.
B.Pettitt
Dodge, lwb, drw, 6.7, no mods
Arctic Fox 811
22' SunChaser fishing pontoon
04 Wrangler for mountian roads

Vietnam Vet...and proud of it

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe use aluminium diamond plate vs steel...

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
What kind of weight would a fully DP'd TC add up to?

My concern with an already compromised shell is finding suitable substructure in which to fasten the steel... don't what those plates coming off when going down the road. One would also need to think of how to seal the EO plates assuming that they would be butt jointed on the flat.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
timmac wrote:
trev1964 wrote:
Ok!
I have bought an Arctic Fox 811 slide in camper, I love it. The shell 811 was used for a week by the previous owner, never used anything in it apart from the bed. So it is mint!!
The problem is the owner parked it and simply walked away, not maintaining the roof or any areas needing sealants, so its suffering severe delimitation. Any suggestions on repairing the 811? do it myself vs taking it to RV shop ?

Thanks

Trev

RV shop will charge you more than what the camper is worth, drill holes in the delaminated areas insert glue and press wall area with a brace and patch hole, you can also diamond plate the whole camper since its only 8 foot, it would be rugged and last for years with diamond plate sides..

That's not the worst idea I've heard! Looked at some light guage Diamond plate for the front of mine to cover up the delam. Ended up living with mine the way it is, but it would look sweet and not horrendously expnsive. 4x10 sheet was like $100. Black powder coat was less than 200.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
http://www.delamrepair.com/

also search internet on rv delamination repair.

Thanks for that link, I had seen that but wasn't sure if it was too good be true or not, maybe someone here has used it and will chime in.

As for that Lance, no way would I pay what that guy wants for it, like I said it would be a winter project if I can get it cheap. I have replaced the rotten roof on my current TC, delam shouldn't be as much ripping apart if that injectable stuff works and I can find the cause of the delam.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
trev1964 wrote:
Ok!

Thanks

Trev

RV shop will charge you more than what the camper is worth, drill holes in the delaminated areas insert glue and press wall area with a brace and patch hole, you can also diamond plate the whole camper since its only 8 foot, it would be rugged and last for years with diamond plate sides..

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.delamrepair.com/

also search internet on rv delamination repair.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't know what lurks under it, you could be just making more work down the road. Mold and rot aren't something to be sealed up and forgot about.

Delamination is mostly just cosmetic. It looks horrible but it is not the end of the world either as long as you figure out what caused it. At times, it is easier to work on the inside and pull panels/insulation rather than attack it from outside. This will give you an "easy" button up job on it and also to see if it was water damage or glue failure.

And grit is right, if you are looking at a damaged rv and it's not REAL cheap or your a wizz kid at fixing things...run away!
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
First off if the delamination was caused by water damage, there won't be anything to glue the fiberglass back to underneath the bubble.

Second off, you'd need an adhesive that worked instantly, otherwise you would be "rolling" for hours and hours until the glue cured.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mellow wrote:
Shucks, was hoping someone would post about a super easy way to fix delamination ๐Ÿ˜ž

I went and looked at this 2003 Lance 1161 and it has delamination really bad on both sides and on the wings, actually has a hole in the side by the slide letting water in and the guy would only come down to $12k, was thinking it would be a good winter project but not at that price. If the guy would come down to $6k-$7k I would pick it up, but I was still trying to figure out how to fix that severe delamination.

I was thinking I could inject gorilla glue then use a roller to attach it back?

Whoa, that's only a $12k camper in good condition! He's dreaming and waiting for a sucker.
On another note, gorilla glue would not be a good thing I don't think. It expands as it cures. Would require too much pressure to keep it from just pushing out the fiberglass.
I'd go for epoxy, or something more liquid like rubber cement.
I took out the front window on my 03. Has some delam on the front cap, but dry and not rotten. Leaked when new and sealed up way back then.
Aside from it being too stiff on the curved part to effectively push it back in place, the bond between the 2 surfaces has pulled the "paper" off the luan or whatever the backing is. Didn't look like it would bond well to me even if I could have pushed it back in. With that, I think you want some type of adhesive that will penetrate the surfaces some to keep it stuck back together.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:
a couple weeks there was a guy up in new england that had a side delaminate and I think it popped out of the corner molding. he was repairing it with epoxy and you press boards up against the side, putting pressure on the fiberglass from a tree or something as the epoxy dries. But there was a storm comming and he was delayed taking the boards off and I never did hear the end or see final pictures.

I have a 2011 open range roamer with similar damage and looking for a solution. Manufacture offered to fix it for $28,000. they wanted to replace both sides to fix it. but camper is only worth $15K trade in with no damage.

Cargo stabilizer bars are a fairly cheap way to apply controlled pressure to side wall panels
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
What year is your camper, Trev......?
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Shucks, was hoping someone would post about a super easy way to fix delamination ๐Ÿ˜ž

I went and looked at this 2003 Lance 1161 and it has delamination really bad on both sides and on the wings, actually has a hole in the side by the slide letting water in and the guy would only come down to $12k, was thinking it would be a good winter project but not at that price. If the guy would come down to $6k-$7k I would pick it up, but I was still trying to figure out how to fix that severe delamination.

I was thinking I could inject gorilla glue then use a roller to attach it back?
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

KKELLER14K
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29008713/gotomsg/29009512.cfm#29009512
Here is a delamination caused by a speaker leak. Water intrusion is really hard to fix once the filon has come loose from the luan. Your best bet in my opinion is have it done by a professional unless you have a large enough shop and a place that supplies that type of material.