Did your parents own a Ford?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
70 REPLIES 70

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
He owned something from each of the big three and as far as I know didn't have a preference or problems from any of them. I guess that is where I get my lack of brand loyalty. I buy whichever works best for me and is the best deal at the time. I've had trucks from all three as well.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:
Thanks for the cartoon. Although any company could be the punchline.

Yup, that's the point, just some Frozen Friday Funnies!

MO_Trout_Bum
Explorer
Explorer
60 Ford falcon, 63 Chevy Corvair convertible, 65 Chevy Belair station wagon, 72 Chevy Kingswood Estate wagon, 80 Cutlass Supreme, 86 Olds 88, 96 Buick Regal.
2004 Silverado 2500HD Ext, Duramax LLY, 4WD, 3.73
2012 Keystone Cougar 327RES

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grew up on a ranch/farm in Idaho. Dad loved International pickups and equipment. When they quit making pickups - Dad bought what was on sale - Ford Dodge and Chev - we even had a Ford truck with the famous straight 6.

Even though I will not now own a Ford - I really liked that old Ford 1/2 ton with the straight six and a manual transmission.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
On of my favorite vehicles was a 78 Chevy El Camino SS. Reliability was not it's strong suit.

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Parents had an 86 F150 and two 1989 Ford Tempos.
I only have Mopars or GM now. So do they.
To be fair the Truck was good. The Tempos? Well, like any car form the 80s not so much.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Dad first had a Chevy, then a 1954ish pink Ford Station Wagon with a 313 & AFB
A big deal back then...dad loves big displacement

That was my first daily. Still the family wagon and the deal was I had to be
the driver for siblings

Tough to get dates with a Pink Ford Station Wagon while in high school...while
others with money had Mustangs, Camaro's, GTO's etc. the other 'regular' guys
also had family rides
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
My dad always walked me to elementary school. That's because we were in the same grade.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
My Dad liked those Ambassadors also. Had a 1960 with the 327 while I was in high school,and it was a real sleeper. I surprised a lot of Fords and Chevys with it.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
yes work trucks and cars
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the '50's to '90's, my father never would consider a Dodge. He felt they weren't reliable. He liked Pontiacs, but they were more expensive than Chevies.

He had Fords for many years, but the bought new, '56 Ford Fairlane with the 225 hp, 312 cube V8 had a 4 barrel carb that was troublesome. It wasn't reliable and I recall many a time it sitting in the driveway with it's hood up and dad fiddling with it. As I found out year later Ford did have issues with this early 4 barrel. It was called the teapot carb...and Ford dumped it fairly soon.

He bought a new '58 Ford wagon with a 2 barrel V8 (292), but soon got rid of it, trading in on a '59 Chevy wagon six. Very reliable. He also traded in his Chevies every couple of years. Had some real nice ones. I liked especially, his '69 Impala, 396 Rat motor, THM 400 transmission, 12 bolt axle, F 41 suspension. He bought it to tow the family trailer.

But on the other hand, my uncle was a general sales manager and his territory included 3 provinces....lot's of miles. Probably 50,000 + each year.

He bought a new car every 2 years. Always a Ford or Mercury. He bought them loaded...with the big engine. He particularly liked the 390-300hp 4 barrel in the '60's. No problemos.

So whose right. No one. Geez I forgot about another uncle who was also a saleman, on the prairies. Big territory, lots of miles to cover. Every 2 years had a new Rambler Ambassador, loaded...with the 327, 343, 401. Loved them.

Taco
Explorer
Explorer
My parents own dodges. they don't believe me that it isn't normal for stuff to break down all the time. Oh well can't change their mind and they have the money to keep getting that junk fixed.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
LOL! My dad liked GM's and Honda's. Other than that he was pretty smart.:B
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Fords where NEVER allowed in our driveway. You didn't even ask Dad if you could buy a Ford product. Chevy, Olds, Caddy and Pontiac where the only vehicles allowed in "Dad's" driveway.

Fast forward 40 years and when I went to look for my first used MH I wanted a Chevy motor. Can't easily unring a bell you Dad put in your head.

Well spent months looking only to find out I could find the Chevy in the 24ft readily but not a 31 ft.

I ran across a steal of a deal for a 31 ft with V-10. And even as an adult I had a hard handing over that money to buy a 'Ford'!

I bought it. I know my Dad was turning over in his grave BUT I found out that V-10 is one kick'in motor. She just keeps going and going and when you call for more she's right there to provide it.

Still can't believe I own a Ford though! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
TakingThe5th wrote:
BurbMan wrote:

X2 - and uphill both ways.

We had a Chevy that we pushed around a lot. It even stalled once going down a bridge.

X3 up hill both ways ,and in a snow storm