cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy way to drain water heater?

TheGriswolds
Explorer
Explorer
I like to drain the water heater almost every time after we use the trailer (2013 Keystone cougar 31sqb). However the Adnode (sp?) rod is a pain to take in and out just due to the angle and the amount of space I have to move around, it seems that it would be very easy to cross thread the thing. The low point drains are very close to the water heater access panel under the belly, would that drain the water heater also or just the trailer lines?
2011 F-250 Supercrew 4x4
2013 Keystone Cougar 31 SQB
26 REPLIES 26

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
2012Coleman wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Yardvarkers wrote:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/anode-rod-with-drain-for-atwood-water-heaters-4-1-2-/37395
Thanks for this link!

There you go....a 'solution' for a problem that doesn't exist and creates a new problem.

An anode rod for an Atwood water heater......:S

An then add an small pet cock drain so that the rod doesn't get pulled and tank properly flushed out.
It's difficult enough to get debris flushed out thru the OEM 1/2" drain hole but now you have a small 3/8-1/4" drain hole :H

Just because items are for sell in aftermarket doesn't mean they are needed, useful or better.

NO anode rods for Atwood.
Anode rods for Suburban.
Remove drain plugs and drain/flush water heater tank at least once a year.
and if you really need to buy some do-dad get a flushing wand to clean out the sediment/debris in tank thru the drain hole
Man - I feel like I've been spanked!

No 'spanking' intended.....just informed :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Yardvarkers wrote:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/anode-rod-with-drain-for-atwood-water-heaters-4-1-2-/37395
Thanks for this link!

There you go....a 'solution' for a problem that doesn't exist and creates a new problem.

An then add an small pet cock drain so that the rod doesn't get pulled and tank properly flushed out.
It's difficult enough to get debris flushed out thru the OEM 1/2" drain hole but now you have a small 3/8-1/4" drain hole :H

Just because items are for sell in aftermarket doesn't mean they are needed, useful or better.

Anode rods for Suburban.
and if you really need to buy some do-dad get a flushing wand to clean out the sediment/debris in tank thru the drain hole
Man - I feel like I've been spanked!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

youroo
Explorer
Explorer
coolbreeze01 wrote:
Pulling the anode once a year for winter storage and cleaning is often enough imo. As mentioned 1 1/8" socket, extension, and 1/2" drive ratchet makes it easy.
Proper size is (1-1/16) 6 point. Youroo!!;)

TheGriswolds
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the tips. I will leave water tank full unless it will be stored for a month or so in which case I will put the rod back in after draining (That's what I do now). I am happy to know that most of you have no problems with keeping water in the tank.
2011 F-250 Supercrew 4x4
2013 Keystone Cougar 31 SQB

Dogbone
Explorer
Explorer
Yardvarkers wrote:

X2
2007 5th Wheel Crossroads Cruiser 30SK
2003 Ford F250

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
After experimenting for a few years, I prefer to leave the water heater full of water unless I'm expecting the weather to freeze. Leaving the tank empty doesn't dry out the interior even if you leave the vents open, it leaves a nice moist environment with a lot of surface area for scuzz to grow on the walls of the tank, and leaving it with the vent and drain plugs open lets dust, spiders, and pollens into the tank. Leaving it full of city water leaves a lot less surface area and available air for crud to grow on, and since it is pretty much sterilized when you used it last from being heated to a pretty high temperature, not much will grow in there. A simple flush before use after storing it full of water for more that 3 or 4 weeks works really well for me.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I keep a ratchet wrench, 18 inch long extension, and the right socket in a five gallon bucket in my rig. Makes life easy to pop the cork and replace the anode rod (here in this part of Texas, the rod is 99% intact after almost two years, but gets calcium on it, which means it needs pulled out or else the lime will build up on it so much that it can't be pulled out.)

Just remember to depressurize the water system first for safety reasons (disconnect from city water, turn off water pump, run a faucet until water stops coming out.)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutchman Sport..that's works. Suburban has a 3/4" drain hole but Atwood has 1/2" drain hole and standard garden hose is tough to get thru opening.

Besides..the wand only costs around $5

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Yardvarkers wrote:
Thanks for this link!

Anode rods for Suburban.

I took an old hose from the back of a washing machine (hot or cold), cut off one end and left the other. I then screw the good end to a garden hose and put the cut rubber end in the anode rode hole and turn the water on and let it fly! You do have to move it in and out so it will actually flush the lime build-up out the hole. But if you have a hose laying around the house, why not use it and save a few bucks!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I drain mine after every trip, usually on the way home. And it stays empty until we go out for our next trip, and it gets filled at the campground.

The solution to your problem is to invest in a simple ratchet socket wrench with the right size socket for the anode rode and an extension between the socket and wrench. That's how I do it. I bought one socket that's the same size as the anode and I have one dedicated wrench with a 4 inch extension that I use ONLY for the water heater and it never leaves the camper.

After draining, I always put the rod back in to keep the threads from rusting up on both the rod and the tank.

If you take the time to get a socket wrench with the right socket, it won't be any problem at all.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
2012Coleman wrote:
Yardvarkers wrote:
Thanks for this link!

Anode rods for Suburban.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine drains well enough from the hot water low-point drain, that when I pull the plug to clean sediment, there is no water left to splash out.

I'm still going to pull that plug (no anode, it is Atwood). If I have hot water odor problems, it is from sulfur compounds that precipitated when the water was heated, and the only way to get that smell out is to get rid of the precipitates.

Pick that water up in a couple places where the campground has only well water.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The link to the one at CW shows going in an Atwood. Atwood does not recommend any anode.
From experience you don't want to trust the small opening to drain the tank. One small peice of debris can cause a plugged valve and a frozen water heater.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

sremsing
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think you will be able to get a socket wrench on that when time to remove, certainly not enough room on mine with one like that.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD quad cab, Vortec 6000
Prodigy
2011 Rockwood 2604
wife and one fur buddy.