cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F150 heavy duty payload

meesda
Explorer
Explorer
Just spote the first 2016 HD payload on internet. Straight cab 8 feet bed. Does anyone have any info if crew cab HD will be available in 2016?

http://www.hannafords.ca/new-inventory/index.htm?trim=REGULAR+CAB+XLT+*HEAVY+DUTY+PAYLOAD*+4X4+5.0L+V8&&&&model=F-150&
Dant
2006 Cruiser CF29BT
2008 GMC Sierra 2500 Ext Cab 6.0
53 REPLIES 53

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
There's all sorts of rumours of Ford putting the Lion V6 diesel in an F150. If that would be a HD Payload F150, it would be a great combo with good payload.

One of the diesel test trucks I saw had the tow mirrors, which hints that a HD tow/payload package might be available with the Diesel.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad that my current truck (knock on wood) will take me right up to the point that we shop for our retirement motorhome. Shouldn't have to buy another truck!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
brulaz wrote:
lbrjet wrote:
brulaz wrote:
Atlee wrote:
My 2014 F150 XLT Supercab 4x4 with Ecoboost and MaxTow and the HD package has a payload of 2,286#.

The longer length and 4x4 takes a toll on the cargo capacity.

And you don't have the Al body.

GVWR lowered to 7800 on Al body trucks.

True, but that's only a 400# reduction in GVWR from the old 8200#.
And they're claiming a 700# weight reduction with the Al body, for SCrew trucks anyway. So maybe a 300# payload improvement for SCrew in 2015 and above?

700 lbs is the best case scenario, kind of like the brochure payload which never happens. Probably on the 8 foot regular cab. I'm sure most trucks aren't seeing a 700 lb reduction. Everyone expected higher Ford payloads with the lighter trucks, but the lowering of the GVWR's pretty much took care of that. I would guess maybe a hundred higher on average.

One of the 2016 standard payload trucks I looked at was very close to options that my truck has. It did only have the puny little 23 gallon gas tank though. It's tread act payload sticker weight was 1966 lbs. with a 7000 lbs GVWR. That truck weighs 5,034 lbs. My truck weighs 5768 lbs (7350 lbs GVWR - 1582 lbs tread act payload sticker weight). So that 2016 weighs 734 lbs less than my truck but my truck has a heavier 36 gallon gas tank.

If it had the 36 gallon tank, take an additional 150 lbs away for the additional 13 gallons of gas and the additional weight of the larger tank. So I'd say about 1816 lbs for payload with a 36 gallon gas tank. This payload is right at the payload that the Max Tow package trucks from the previous generation had. That also brings the weight difference down to 584 lbs from the previous generation, which is still a pretty significant weight difference.

Seems that Ford just gave all trucks the upgraded payload while the Max Tow doesn't offer an upgraded GVWR now, just greater towing capacity with the hardware to make it possible.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at both F150s and F250s. Both are Crew Cab 4WD 3.73 locking axle, 6.5/6.75' bed, XLT, all the same options, with either 5.0L, 3.5L Ecoboost or the 6.2L Super Duty Engine.

The bang for the buck is the F250. It is by far the cheapest. The F150 with Max Tow and HD payload package is another grand while the 5.0L is about $500 cheaper.

In fact the F250 is actually $3250 cheaper than the Ecoboost with Max Tow and HD Payload because of the F150s crappy rebates.

I run the numbers and continuing to drive a F150 is the best choice because I put about 18,000 miles per year on my truck. "WHEN" gas goes back to about $3.60 a gallon, and it will, I'll be paying about $130/month more to drive a F250 over my current truck.

That's why I decided against the F250 truck I test drove and fell in love with. I've found that most people here and at other forums are getting around 12 to 13 mpg on an average mixed drive. I get around 17.5 mpg.

I really don't want to throw away $130 per month on gas. I also can't be paying $49K for a F150 either! Yes it's the HD payload truck but it has many limitations as I was going to consider buying one.

Besides it's lower axle ratings, it has a lower receiver hitch rating as well. Even though a gasser 6.2L F250 only comes with the 12500/1250 lbs receiver, it can be swapped out for a model that meets or exceeds the 14000/1400 lbs model that comes on the Diesel.

Also the F150 lacks the capability of a HD snow plow even though it can use light duty plows. The new 2016 F150 is over "2100 lbs" lighter than a 2016 F250 also. Even without sway being a problem, wind will push this truck all over compared to a F250. Also, a F250 with it's weight will man handle a trailer much easier in an emergency maneuver.

The Decked out XLT F250 I was looking at was about $48200. Most standard payload F150s on the dealers lot are over $50K.

I haven't bought yet because I'm pissed. Pissed that I can no longer buy a standard or HD payload truck for a decent price. My truck being only 4 years old, was only a bit over $32K. Now to buy a truck with the same features, it's $48000 MSRP and what I'd pay would be "$43500"!!! This truck is NOT worth over $10K more than my current truck. In fact, I like my truck much better!

I like it's standard mirrors better, I like it's looks, stance, heavier weight better, and it's standard 36 gallon gas tank (new standard is a puny 23 gallon tank). I also like that it's STEEL! Not fond of all aluminum truck on a dissimilar metal, Steel frame. Don't know how long those special mounts will keep Galvanic corrosion from happening if they break down from wear and tear, or salt and snow.

I'm having a very hard time, spending my hard earned money on a lesser truck (IMO) that's over $10K more!

Really REALLY liked that F250!
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:
There's all sorts of rumours of Ford putting the Lion V6 diesel in an F150. If that would be a HD Payload F150, it would be a great combo with good payload.

Do not know, it is only 3 Litre like the Global models and the payload all up would be roughly 3,000lb. I think the 5 Litre Cummins would be a better fit.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
transferred wrote:
The Euro Chassis Cabs compete more with say the 5500-series trucks, do they not? With 19.5K GVWRs but a pickup cab, height and footprint (depending on frame length chosen).

I know some of the pickups available in the UK like the Hilux and L200 have useful 2,500lb payloads and fuel efficient 4-cyl diesels. The main advantage to the American pickups is in towing, where the engines since 2000 have offered tremendous power. Braking and frames are also evolving and with single rear wheel conventional pickups being able to seat 6, easy to park yet handle pin weights of more than 4,000lbs. That kind of payload is also handy for landscaping duties etc too, with or without use of a trailer.

For the OP, one word of warning re the new F150 regular cabs is their crash safety, though Ford may have re-added the structures that are present in the crew cabs. I hope so anyway. No doubt the HD payload package sounds like a must have option, strange they seem so hard to find on lots. As others said, likely due to a lack of education re these kinds of vehicles.

Basically they do compete with the F550 etc. want any bigger than that, then get a Truck here, Lorry in the UK. They are used in vast numbers in Europe, IVECO Daily has a GAWR greater than a F450., Payload up to 10,000lb
The " 1 Tonne Pickups" have a considerable Off Road ability, not part of the US Pickups normal inventory. One reason they are used on smaller European farms, they can easily go Off Road and carry a sizeable load. Still you are going to see, many Cab Chassis Vans and " Lorries" depending on need on the Farms. Pickups used as personal transport, and a load carrier on a Farm . Pickups are mainly used as light work vehicles, mainly on Farms, (only 60,000 sold in Europe last year) , not as personal transport, one reason so few sold in Europe, Generally . Cars and increasingly SUV's are the personal vehicles of choice.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
The Euro Chassis Cabs compete more with say the 5500-series trucks, do they not? With 19.5K GVWRs but a pickup cab, height and footprint (depending on frame length chosen).

I know some of the pickups available in the UK like the Hilux and L200 have useful 2,500lb payloads and fuel efficient 4-cyl diesels. The main advantage to the American pickups is in towing, where the engines since 2000 have offered tremendous power. Braking and frames are also evolving and with single rear wheel conventional pickups being able to seat 6, easy to park yet handle pin weights of more than 4,000lbs. That kind of payload is also handy for landscaping duties etc too, with or without use of a trailer.

For the OP, one word of warning re the new F150 regular cabs is their crash safety, though Ford may have re-added the structures that are present in the crew cabs. I hope so anyway. No doubt the HD payload package sounds like a must have option, strange they seem so hard to find on lots. As others said, likely due to a lack of education re these kinds of vehicles.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
2944 lbs of payload! Not too shabby.

Wonder what that would be in a SuperCrew and an EcoBoost... 2400 ish lbs?

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Jeremy, the Mazda here has the best Payload of the DualCabs at 2,500lbs, which is your SuperCrew. A lot of people are going to the Euro Cab Chassis's if they constantly haul very heavy loads( up to 10,000lbs) but do want a Truck as far as ride and handling

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Wow, good thread! Never heard about the "lurker".
Fact of he matter remains, in general, the rear diff is the last thing that's going to come apart from towing too heavy with a "stock" truck. May bust a spring, snap an axle, bend a hitch but the engine is never going To send more power through the diff than it makes and it's designed to work with that diff. Period. Yes lurker must be a pos loser.
That said, I had a brand new truck, 01 Ram 1500 with optional 4.10 gears. Only year they offered 4.1s for a long time. Same 9.25 corporate Dana 44 knockoff axle used successfully in dodges dating back to the 60s?
It roached 2 ring gears in less than 2000mi. Towing. Left me sitting on the side of the road hundreds of miles from home both times. Diamler at the time told me I overloaded the truck. Not even close to max tow, rawr or gvw. Second dealer felt so bad I got a free 100k bumper to bumper warranty from them!
3rd r and p set was installed and I pulled out with my trailer and never had another problem in 150kmi.
Point is, you can get a defective part. If I didn't understand that and real world abilities of components I would be spouting off on here about how you can't tow with anything less than a dually, when in reality, DC had a bad batch of ring gears built for their "new" 4.1 axle option that year.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JN_B
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:

My F150, EB, Crew Cab, XLT cost $32k and is only missing the HD payload option from your description, which I don't think is $28k additional?

Same here, mine cost $35CAD, exactly as he described. XLT crew, 4x4, HD payload, No other options at all
2014 Ford F-150 XLT, HD Payload, Max Trailer
2010 K-Z Spree 318BHS

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Folks have responded more than thought...a good thing...as this needs
to be addressed...often

That guy who PM'd is typical and didn't want to take responsibility for
his own risk management decision (gambling) and only wanted help in
suing the adviser from this portal...

Told him the admin's won't provide the contact info, etc, etc...

He did turn on me during that cycle and stopped communication after
asked him about the break in and how his return trip went

Accountability for both the inquiry and advice provided...that will NOT
change. Mainly why don't come by often anymore. Mainly to check for PMs
from lurkers asking for advice. Marvel at the heaps of design margin
OEM's have in their offerings...and folks don't understand the concept
of 'consuming the OEM's design margin' when they advise to go for it...it
is good for it...

The OEM's must love this...as they often get either the repair business
directly or via independents who order parts...or get to sell another
TV

On that, am seeing many continue to stay in the lower TV class and is
smack on target to their demographics survey's...many will NOT own
anything but a half ton...and not knowing 'which' half ton they are
purchasing.

Too bad we lost some posts with all the forum problems over the last few days, but anyhow.

This guy sounds like a real id10t. I'm also really starting to question the validity of his story. I imagine you could tow a 15,000 lb. trailer behind an F-150 for at least a few thousand miles before you blew something up. Unless you are drag racing all 2,000 miles. For him to blow up two rearends on a single trip to me says he was doing more than just pulling an overweight trailer.

Remember, a stock Tundra pulled the space shuttle (300,000 lbs.) for a short distance and didn't implode.

Can't believe somebody really thought they could sue thru the internet. This guy must have been some kinda special.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Folks have responded more than thought...a good thing...as this needs
to be addressed...often

That guy who PM'd is typical and didn't want to take responsibility for
his own risk management decision (gambling) and only wanted help in
suing the adviser from this portal...

Told him the admin's won't provide the contact info, etc, etc...

He did turn on me during that cycle and stopped communication after
asked him about the break in and how his return trip went

Accountability for both the inquiry and advice provided...that will NOT
change. Mainly why don't come by often anymore. Mainly to check for PMs
from lurkers asking for advice. Marvel at the heaps of design margin
OEM's have in their offerings...and folks don't understand the concept
of 'consuming the OEM's design margin' when they advise to go for it...it
is good for it...

The OEM's must love this...as they often get either the repair business
directly or via independents who order parts...or get to sell another
TV

On that, am seeing many continue to stay in the lower TV class and is
smack on target to their demographics survey's...many will NOT own
anything but a half ton...and not knowing 'which' half ton they are
purchasing.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
BenK wrote:
Know won't get much of a response, but curious why folks understand payload,
cargo, MTWR, etc as a NUMBER, but refuse to use the GVWR number and
only use marketing verbiage...like F150, 1500 half ton

There are over a dozen DIFFERENT F150's and ditto GM, but there is only one
7,400 GVWR Ford or GM or any other OEM. Ditto a 7,200 GVWR. Ditto a 6,800 GVWR, ETC

They are also, *ALL* half tons. Ditto that they are *ALL* F150's or 1500's...

Also, many prefer to use the number of wheel lugs...

Just curious why?...but really know why and the OEM marketing ID managers also
know why...

Because it says F-150 on the fender, tailgate, etc. and everyone knows what a F-150 is.

You can tell your co-worker you just bought a brand new Chevy 7800 GVWR but people are just going to look at you like you sprouted two heads. You might enjoy educating the general populace on the finer points of a 7000GVWR vs. an 8200GVWR but unless the individual is interested, you'll bore the hell out of them. And then they start avoiding you in the break room, or at least that's what I do to people that tell a 30 minute story that I've got no interest in.

You miss the point and do agree with you on out of contextual placement
at the super market check out line...

In context...this is a Towing/RV site...where folks come here looking
for information/help

So, yes, they all or most all "think" one F150 is no different than
any other F150. They all have the same marketing badge. 'Some' have
prefix/suffix marketing nomenclature. "HD", "Max Tow", etc to differentiate
between them...only some times and most times that nomenclature is
either out dated from the last gen, or just changed at the whim of the
OEM's marketing ID person(s)

Just re-read this post, or any of these posts, and you will see the
confusion among the question and even advisers

I'm here because someone from one of my Suburban sites asked me to
check out someone's post in reference to Suburbans...and have stayed.
Mainly because of the many lurkers PM's asking about a post.

One in particular to this individual thread and the over arching topic
from just a few years past

Got a PM from someone who just got back from a ruined DisneyWorld
vacation. They never made it down there...and had to turn back after
spending all of their vacation money and then some more on the repairs
on their credit cards, etc, etc

He wanted to file a lawsuit against an adviser on this portal and told
him that the advice on these freebie forums is worth what he paid to
join...nothing.

An adviser on this forum told everyone that he has a F150 and towed
that sized trailer all over for many, many years with no problems

So this lurker bought a similar trailer and planned that spoiled vacation
based on that guys recommendations...

Well, that adviser has a the 'fake half ton'...AKA F150 and back then
marketing badge with F150HD...or ~8,200 GVWR with an ~6K RGAWR...what
some of you advisers reference checking the number of wheel lugs: 7
and on the GM's fake half ton version: 8 lugs

The lurker has a 'regular' F150 of the lower end of these half tons
A 6,800 GVWR and a +4K RGAWR. To you folks who insist on NOT using
GVWR...a 6 lug F150 or regular half ton, which is in addition on the
lower GVWR of half tons...there is an even lower rated 'half ton'
and is at 6,200 GVWR

He burned up his diff on the way down there at about 1,000 miles from
home.

Had to rent a room for his family, pay an outrageous amount to have
the local Ford Dealer rebuild his diff. Lost his deposit in Florida,
spent several day in the middle of no where waiting for the parts
to be delivered and installed

He never returned my PM asking how it went towing back home, where that
same distance and trailer burned up his diff...

Not all 'half ton' TVs are the same and the specific of GVWR is much
better reference in providing advise...IMHO

So when you reference "F150"...which half ton are you referencing
out of the 14 or so different GVWR F150's?...and do you know which
one the newbie asking has?

🙂 Hi, not knowing the whole story , but Ford says to drive 1,000 miles to break-in the differential prior to towing. If this person bought a new F-150 and immediately towed 1,000 miles, he was asking for problems.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400