Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer too long for truck?

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
Back again.

We went to the RV Supershow in Tampa yesterday and found a trailer that checks most of our boxes.

Trailer specs: GVW is #7995, #UVW is #6327, dry hitch weight is #658. total length 32'9".

2019 Ram 1500 3.92 axle ratio #1780 rear axle payload #11,400 max towing capacity; all per Ram website after entering VIN#.

I think the weights are OK but how about the overall length? Anyone towing a trailer this long with a Ram 1500?

By the way, if you are in Florida it's worth a couple hour drive to experience the show.
Shopping for Travel Trailer
53 REPLIES 53

APT
Explorer
Explorer
There are people comfortably towing 38' 10k pound loaded TTs with 2000-2006 GM SUVs. OP truck likely has longer wheelbase, more power, better gearing, just weaker suspension. Go for it. Get a WDH with integrated sway control though, and learn how to adjust it for 100% front axle weight restoration.

7500 pounds loaded, with 900-1100 pounds of TW is at the high end for what I recommend for half tons, but there are far worse combos on the roads!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
A ProPride or Hensley Arrow hitch will eliminate the zig zags from the bow waves of large vehicles sharing multi lane roads with you, and the weathervane sway effect of cross wind.

I towed with a used Craigslist ProPride for a couple years. Truck and trailer ran like on rails.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I am correct it is only weight and trailer distribution that matters. You want the weight to be with=in tow limits of your truck and the distribution so you don't get tail wag going down the road. The rest is up to the expertise of the driver.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Tow a 8k TT with overall length of 27' with 3500 SRW Ram diesel back and forth to Arizona. I would not want to do it with a 1500. Been in windy conditions and the 8500 lbs truck keeps it planted.

YEP, a 1500 can tow it but can it "HANDLE" it in unforeseen conditions.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
ssthrd wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
. . . the length of the trailer has no affect on the tow vehicle . . .
Definitely disagree. A 33 ft. TT has a lot of real estate on each side. Acts like a big sail when there's high side winds. The only thing that counters that twisting/swaying motion brought on by high side winds is the sheer weight of the truck. The heavier the TV the more stability.

We've towed a few 30+ ft 8k-10k TT's with a 1/2-ton (5.5k weight) and 1-ton SRW truck (8.2k weight). The 1-ton SRW truck's almost 3k of additional weight brings a lot more stability to the table when there's high winds.

Lastly, even a trailer that only weighs 8k-10k could be handful for 1-ton SRW truck with a tow rating of 16k **IF** the side surface of the trailer is extremely high with high side winds. At some point excessive side surface area on a trailer can easily make the truck's tow rating completely moot.
For a 33' travel trailer, the side force with a wind of 30 mph blowing perpendicular to the travel direction is about 2.3lbs/sq ft. Side area of the trailer is about 264 sq ft, so 264 x 2.3=(approx) 600 lbs of force.

An increase of 10 mph to 40 mph will cause a side force of 1080 lbs on that same trailer.

From www.engineersedge.com

The formula is 0.00256 x V^2 (in mph)= lbs/sq ft where V is wind velocity and 0.00256 is a constant.

Just sayin............:)
Thanks. I believe p=mv addresses the weight differential between the TV and trailer. This differential and the wind force determines the final outcome ๐Ÿ™‚

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
otrfun wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
. . . the length of the trailer has no affect on the tow vehicle . . .
Definitely disagree. A 33 ft. TT has a lot of real estate on each side. Acts like a big sail when there's high side winds. The only thing that counters that twisting/swaying motion brought on by high side winds is the sheer weight of the truck. The heavier the TV the more stability.

We've towed a few 30+ ft 8k-10k TT's with a 1/2-ton (5.5k weight) and 1-ton SRW truck (8.2k weight). The 1-ton SRW truck's almost 3k of additional weight brings a lot more stability to the table when there's high winds.

Lastly, even a trailer that only weighs 8k-10k could be handful for 1-ton SRW truck with a tow rating of 16k **IF** the side surface of the trailer is extremely high with high side winds. At some point excessive side surface area on a trailer can easily make the truck's tow rating completely moot.

Long TT can really affect the TV, in both side winds and with passing semis. It is the fact the pivot point on the TV is 3' to 4' aft of the TV's rear axle that will contribute to sway.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
ksss wrote:
If you come out West where the State flowers are wind farms, put a piece of coal between your cheeks and you may have a diamond when you get back home.

Love this!!!!!

FWIW, I have the 5er in sig and towed it w/ a '15 F350 SRW, SB, 4x4, 6.7 and had no problems w/ it overall as 3700 pounds of it's 16,000 was on truck. Side winds really didn't pucker our lower lips much. HOWEVER, upon towing our 4 place V-nose enclosed snowmobile trailer w/ 3 sleds in it (about 30' +/- ball to tail) with no sway control hitch DID let the truck know it was behind it w/a stiff crosswind. Couple of times I had to get a better grip on wheel. And this is with 2 sleds in the nose and few hundred pounds of tube sand over trucks rear axle. Trailer is 2500 empty and each sled weighs about 400-500 pounds, max trailer weight is 7K, alum frame. So if it were me looking at the RV in question, I'd jump up to at min a 3/4 tonner.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I HAVE to reply to this---first, anybody with the handle containing the words"61 chevy" has to be pretty cool.
Second, the remark from the Eastern Idaho fellow about coal between your cheeks funny! Thanks
Your set up is a little light IMHO. As I've stated here before, "a Toyota towed a space shuttle." I am wondering about some of the factory ratings being spewed with regard to towing.
Tire ratings, springs, brakes, etc-etc come into play. I'm not one to preach bigger is better, but safer is better. We have hundreds of trailer transports coming through our area (towing new units to dealers), and have never seen a 1/2 ton tow vehicle.
See you out there

blt2ski
At one time back in early 2000's on this forum, this rule of thumb ratio for WB to trailer length got mentioned a lot. I may be off a bit as I like it, but at the same time, disagree with it to be typed after ratio.

110" WB for up to 20' of trailer.
Per 1' additional trailer, 3" of WB
Not recommended to tow with a rig under 110" WB......

1, I call hogwash on no rig under 110" can tow. To me you deduct 1' per 3" like you add for WB.
This was also setup probably when station wagans and sedans were main tow rigs. Our stiffer spring trucks, shorter rear over hangs should be able to go a bit longer.vlike wise a typical 8 lug 25 longer than most 15 series. Sw 35 longer yet, same with a dually. Might be 2-4' per style of truck. You get the point. Like wise sine this was made for a ball mount, a 5w can and should be able to go longer IMHO about 5-6', as that is a typical ball over hang from the center of rear axle.

I know of a few other rules of thumb before the common GCWR ratings came out per say. I try to follow those more. And as far as GCWR / tow ratings go, I have no issue saying they again IMHO are a crock of shaving cream! Why, they are performance ratings. IE you can start on an X%grade, hold more than Y mph on a given freeway way grade not overheat etc.
If your like me, I pull grades 2-3x the current spec minimum. I've been on enough grades stalked out, buying new auto transmissions, burned out clutches due to too tall of hearing, not enough torque trying to start on 20+% grades.

My 8000lb loaded equipment trailer swayed to the point of almost taking my 12,000 lb empty dump truck off the road. WELL under tow rating etc. No hitch wieght! Improperly loaded.

I've been moved half a lane width getting hit with a 60-80 mph wind gust on I 205 crossing the columbia river, in my old K3500CC 8' bed pickup pulling a 6000 lb 25'TT.

Saw a picture this morning, of an 18 wheeler windward side wheels in the air, leeward side of truck and trailer resting on guard rails. After a gust Tuesday evening leaned it over on the Deception Pass bridge on north end of Whidbey Island. Good thing it did not go over the rail, or it is iirc a 200' drop, into 70ish feet of 6-8 knot current, 50F degree water. Or stationary water per say at high or low tide.

At the end of the day, it's up to you to decide if a given rig is correct one to tow a given trailer. If you want to pull an 8000 lb trailer, with a given chassis that has ratings to 12000, but you'd is rated to 6000.....depending on how your 6000 lb rated setup is geared, it might overall, do better than the one higher rated. I've out pulled a 1 ton dually 454 th500 with a 25 series 292 I6. With a muncie 4 so 4.10 gears at slow steep grades. Granted slower on freeways. But the 292 never got stalled out. The 454 equiped tig did.

Choose your poison correctly.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is longer than Iโ€™d tow with my half ton. In wind it wonโ€™t be fun.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
The only length restriction is the state max length of maybe 65 feet but does vary.

8000 GVWR trailer and trusting you have the exact truck properly equipped that gives 11,000 tow rating... drive safe, get a good hitch, and go have some fun.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tow a 8k TT with overall length of 27' with 3500 SRW Ram diesel back and forth to Arizona. I would not want to do it with a 1500. Been in windy conditions and the 8500 lbs truck keeps it planted.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
mooky stinks wrote:
I towed a scaled 8300 lb 35ft Outback with a Chevy 1500 max tow 10 times a year for 6 years. Weight was never a problem but wind was. A couple trips I had to take secondary roads instead of the interstate. Ultimately itโ€™s up to you and your set up. The hitch being dialed in is absolutely critical. Expect days when you wonโ€™t be able to relax. Itโ€™s certainly not for everyone. If youโ€™re the type of person that gets nervous when your rig makes the slightest move then I would look for something smaller.

I'm similar. 8,200 lbs scaled (and GVW) and 34'4" length. I use a Equal-i-zer 4 pt hitch and spent a good chunk of time getting it set up. Biggest issue I have is porpoising on bad roads, Jasper to Banff or on the Oregon Coast. And no choice for secondary roads.

I'm good, but we are looking at bigger units so I'm looking at 1 ton trucks first.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
If you come out West where the State flowers are wind farms, put a piece of coal between your cheeks and you may have a diamond when you get back home.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
That trailer will weigh approx. 7500lbs with a tongue weight near 1000lbs (12%). As long as itโ€™s setup properly you should be OK. I towed a similar length TT with a 97 Dodge conv van. The trailer weighed 6500lbs. Your wheel base is longer than mine was.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!