Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trailer weighing

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Anybody have experience with weighing their trailer at a "CAT" Scale facility? I would love to know the real weights of my new camper(tongue & loaded weight), but I'm intimidated by not knowing the procedures involved, envisioning a line of angry truckers with their horns blowing as I fumble foolishly unhitching and re-hitching the trailer. Is there a time slot to execute the weigh? How much does it cost to weigh a tow vehicle/camper?

Thanks for your input!
14 REPLIES 14

jessjerr1831
Explorer
Explorer
Do not assume the people at the CAT scales know what they are doing. I went in before weighing and explained what I wanted to do. They had never weighed an TT or RV before or so they said. I had to have them come out and show them while I was on the scales what I wanted to do. I had the print out of how to weigh I got from these forums on how to do the different weights. It was the first time I had used the CAT scales and thought it very disconcerting that they claimed to know not how to weigh a RV. I assumed they knew more than I did. It was very frustrating but eventually got it done. Have even went back several times and just did the three weights.

chip_litch
Explorer
Explorer
If you will allow me to throw my own question into the fray - we just returned from our first trip in more than a year and the trailer now sits empty in my driveway. Is there utility in know the various dry weights? I can easily run it to the scales and get weights before returning it to the storage lot. Thanks for suggestions

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Like KD4UPL said there are other options. I go to the coal tipple and if they are not busy they will let you weigh it in as many configurations as you like for $5.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

MikeInOregon
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a good description of using the scales that was recently posted on RV.NET.
2015 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost
2015 Creekside 20FQ
ProPride Hitch

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
The first time I used the CAT scales, I was also intimidated, for the same reasons you cite.

But it was super easy, you literally just drive on, they weigh it, and you drive off. There are separate platforms that each axle set - tow vehicle front, tow vehicle rear, and the trailer's axles together - so you get individual readouts, plus the combined total.

Pull onto the scales very slowly, and drive off slowly.
They're like giant scales, and they wiggle around a bit.

The scales I've been to, when I initially pull onto them, I got out and spoke to the attendant inside - that's their procedure. I don't know if they're all this way.

Once you've got the first one under your belt, it's a piece of cake.
'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension
35" Toyo's | 4.56 | PacBrake

2009 Cyclone 3950 | B&W Turnover Ball & Companion | TrailAire | Duravis R250s

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
A second or third trip over the scales normally cost $1. I would recommend a forth time with bars engaged and split the axles on the trailer. You may have to have the DW help stop you at the correct location. Do not worry about where everything else is as the first three give everything you need. The forth will let you know if the trailer axles are being loaded evenly. It is worth the extra 10 minutes it would take to go around and do an extra weight. Plus it could be the best value you have ever got for $1.

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
There is a CAT scale web site instruction video but I do not how to link. Cost is $10-12 the first weigh then $1-2 reweighs the same day.........

http://catscale.com/how-to-weigh

Line up on the sections the best you can ticket will give you each sections (axles) weights.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
CAT scales are great and with the above advice weighing should be easy. There are other options for weighing a rig you might explore. Feed mills, quarries, scrap yards, land fills, farmer's co-ops, and I'm sure some other places have scales. Often, if you're there when they aren't busy they will let you use their scale for free or for only $5 or something.
More than once I've driven in to the local quarry, asked if I can drive across their scale to see may weight, and they say "Sure!".

wtravlr1
Explorer
Explorer
When I get gas, I just look for the CAT sign and see if its busy. Generally have not found them to be busy. If you can reach the intercom just tell them its private or RV and weigh. I always weighed hooked up as the scales are divided to give you the axel weights and i wanted to know how much pressure were on my front and rear tow vehicle tires. I have pics of the CAT scales on my web site.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my suggestion. When you arrive at the facility, do not go onto the scale first. Park and go inside and explain you are wanting to do three seperate passes over the scale.
Pull onto the scale and get your first weigh with your weight bars engaged. I use the last four of my license plates as my truck number
Drive off the scale, get out of the traffic pattern, release the bars, drive back onto the scale, tell him on the speaker it is a reweigh.
Drive off the scale again, go find a corner of the lot to park and disconnect the trailer, go back for a third trip onto the scale with just your truck.

Go inside and pay. I will likely be around $13 for all three tickets.

You now have all the info you need to determine your loading values.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Read through fellow contributor Doug's blog.

http://learntorv.blogspot.com/2013/04/getting-weighed-adventure-at-cat-scales.html
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

Jimbee
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies!

At the risk of showing my stupidity, how can they calculate the tongue weight etc. when the trailer and truck are connected. Do I have the truck weighed separately first?

Thanks again-

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
What K Charles said.

It's not a big deal; just let them know you're private, pull off, go in get the slip (I've had to pay a couple of times) and there ya' go.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I weighed once with the WD hooked and then I did a reway without the WD hitch. I never unhooked the trailer on the scales. I did have my hitch weighed for free at an RV repair shop.

Drive on the scales with the front axle, rear axle and the trailer axles on different parts of the scale. Use your longest arm and push the button. Tell them private when they ask for a truck number. When there done drive off the scales, park and go in and get your slip.