cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camping around Boston

dvs57
Explorer
Explorer
I've got my DH to agree to take me to Boston - finally! We want to go sometime in the June to September time period. We hope to spend a week exploring Boston, Salem and Plymouth as well as surrounding areas. We have a motorhome and will be towing a Jeep. We would need a campground that could serve as our "home base". We will be using public transportation when venturing into Boston. Any suggestions?
Jerry and Deb
2015 Itasca Solei
2017 Jeep Wrangler
15 REPLIES 15

FC
Explorer
Explorer
The Minuteman campground was in the KOA chain when we first stayed there many years ago. Its a nice campground located in a woods setting.
WE have also stayed at Normandy Farms, but our local family are closer to Littleton so we generally stay there if in the area.
JM2CW
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
And if you have a dog Normandy farms has a dog walking service for your pet.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
VTLee wrote:
x3 on Minuteman in Littleton

X whatever

Normandy Farms is a lifetime away from Salem and Gloucester and all northern suburbs. The traffic on 128 is a nightmare if you need to stay on it for that many miles and Normandy is so far out of the city, your only real route to get north is Rte 128.
Being out in Littleton Allows you to skirt the city some by staying on 495, the outer loop, for part of the time.
another option would be to stay at one place to see the Cape, one place for Boston, and then Cape Ann Campsite in Gloucester to see the north side.
we have stayed at all.

Sue
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

homedad
Explorer
Explorer
Sort of depends on what type of campground/rv park you like. I prefer woods over pools and activities. If you are like me go for Pinewood lodge. It's in Plymouth and a great location for Boston and the cape. If you like RV parks and all that go for Normandy. Really nice but not my style.

JANETRUPP
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Middleboro KOA and found it a great home base for Plymouth, Cape Cod and Boston. It is close to the train system which will take you right into downtown Boston. From there we took the hop-on hop-off trolly. Don't forget "Cheers" bar. They make wonderful hamburgers and the Boston Cream pie is fantastic...enough for 3-4 people, lol

Janet
Loving our life. Life is too short to complain,go live it to the fullest
Coachmen Concord 2018 Class C with 2 slides
2012 Equinox tow

dvs57
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!
Jerry and Deb
2015 Itasca Solei
2017 Jeep Wrangler

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
ROTFLMAO! Can't help you on the campgrounds because I live only 30 minutes outside the city, but the comments on traffic always crack me up! There truly are reasons why we have a certain nickname I won't repeat! Seriously, take PT into the city. There are plenty of parking garages around the main attractions but they are very pricey. And it's much easier on everyone if nervous nellie's AREN'T trying to navigate a bunch of paved over cow paths, which is what Boston is. On that note, many towns in the state, especially those along the coast, have similar parking issues during peak season. The "T" also goes to some of those towns-I'd look into that as well. Enjoy the area-it's a fantastic place to explore.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

RoadAbode
Explorer
Explorer
noe-place wrote:
We've been to Boston a few times and always stay at Minuteman.

We've also stayed at Minuteman and recommend checking out Concord. Visit Walden Pond, Artist's Ridge, North Bridge and more. Lots of history and some good local eats.

Salem is a favorite too. We liked Salem and Concord better than busy and tight Boston. For us the best part of Boston was the USS Constitution

Whatever you do - Have a great trip!
The RoadAbode Crew
Mike ~ Amy ~ Kimberly ~ Emily ~ and Molly the pup
RoadAbode Blog

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Search this Forum for `Boston' then search the results for `tours'. Parking/driving in Boston is only for Smart cars or bicycles. Take a tour.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

VTLee
Explorer
Explorer
x3 on Minuteman in Littleton

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to Boston a few times and always stay at Minuteman.

demoon
Explorer
Explorer
Great choice for Boston and Salem is Boston Minuteman. Fantastic owners and office staff. They will be happy to provide best information on taking public transportation into the city. https://minutemancampground.com/

You might actually want to move down to the Plymouth area to set up your base for that part. We like the Boston/Cape Cod KOA. http://koa.com/campgrounds/boston/

Travel safe and enjoy the area.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Agree completely with kknowlton regarding driving in Boston!

We stayed at Pinewood Lodge in Plymouth a couple of years ago and loved it. Beautiful lake, huge spots, shaded, etc. we are returning this year and will stay there again.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like Normandy Farms. It's only 45 minutes away for me, so if we need a quick weekend getaway, that's the place.

Haven't been, but most posters about Boston like Minuteman in Littleton. Closest to Boston is Winter Island in Salem.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox