Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Long article on Cell phones in Yellowstone and Glacier

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Great Falls Tribune
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.
24 REPLIES 24

A_hitch_and_hop
Explorer
Explorer
I think the major complaint is that of constructing new towers to support the antennas. The new generation of AT&T equipment will provide service through an equipment / antenna system about 18 inches in size. This box does not require a tall tower and can be mounted on existing light poles. They even have fake trees. My complaint about cell phones is that a person can't hear themselves talk and they can not judge how loud they are talking. Land line phones have a built in feed back that allows you to hear your voice as you talk. This is because they are radios and not telephones. Cell phones (radios) either transmit or receive. Instead of speaking as though the person is about 5 feet away, most people talk as though the person is 50 feet away and end up annoying the people who are within hearing. The person on the other end can hear you even when you whisper. Try it next time you call someone.

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
One thing for certain (we just spent a week in Yellowstone and stayed in FSCG, my sixth trip since the 1980's) that park looks NOTHING like the original developers viewed it when they protected the land.

Far as I'm concerned, the development has gotten way out of control, and the crowds unbelievable. NO WAY can we protect this park from the "progress of cell phone, FHU, and eventual destruction over time". And that is truly unfortunate.

If and when we decide to truly protect these national park and forest lands, we can only do that if we return to more primitive style campgrounds. Only that way, can the people that visit Yellowstone and other parks understand the original intent of wilderness protection within the national parks and forests systems.

Given the sheer size of the human population, and the resulting large number of people trying to enjoy the "outdoors", it isn't possible to keep things as they were without banning people or at least significantly limiting the numbers that are allowed into the "protected" areas. Kind of a catch 22. We desire to preserve the beauty, which can only be done if we prevent ourselves from seeing and enjoying it.

Having explored and enjoyed so much of the backcountry areas for decades, I'm amazed at how many people now venture out, and how many areas now have lottery permit systems to allow visitation now. As a person who often attends land use discussions, I anticipate that camping, and venturing into the back country are something that will change significantly in the next 20 years or so.

Finally, back to the cell phone discussion, I still find that at least a third of the state of Utah still doesn't have coverage, and we don't miss it at all. Of our camping trips this year we only spent about a fourth of it in areas that had cell phone coverage. It's kind of nice in that we don't get any "work" calls, and don't have to feel guilty about being dishonest when we say there wasn't phone coverage available.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
One thing for certain (we just spent a week in Yellowstone and stayed in FSCG, my sixth trip since the 1980's) that park looks NOTHING like the original developers viewed it when they protected the land.

Far as I'm concerned, the development has gotten way out of control, and the crowds unbelievable. NO WAY can we protect this park from the "progress of cell phone, FHU, and eventual destruction over time". And that is truly unfortunate.

If and when we decide to truly protect these national park and forest lands, we can only do that if we return to more primitive style campgrounds. Only that way, can the people that visit Yellowstone and other parks understand the original intent of wilderness protection within the national parks and forests systems.
Maybe it was too crowded for you, but where should they start cutting down the crowds? Bet you wouldn't have been too happy if they started with you. I suppose they could limit the number of visitors and tell everyone else tough luck. Or maybe they should limit the duration of stays to maybe one or two days maximum, that would cut out the crowds as well. If you want primitive, maybe only allow entrance on foot, the way the Indians first visited the area, long before westerners introduced horses to America. That would really cut down on traffic, since not too many people can hike the 140 or so miles around the main loop.

And by the way, the sign over the Gateway arch that was dedicated by Teddy Roosevelt says "for the enjoyment of the people" It doesn't say "for the protection of the wilderness and preservation of primitive style of camping". It always rubs me the wrong way when someone starts preaching that their way of RVing or camping is the correct way, and everyone else is wrong. Maybe you don't have or don't want a big RV, but others do and they have just as much right to enjoy our national parks as you do.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
If you think you need a phone everywhere you go, get a satellite phone.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cell phones & internet access make traveling MUCH easier. For some of us, it's important to stay in touch with family. I like being able to upload photos, check weather forecasts, and make travel reservations.

HOWEVER, I don't feel the need to have the phone on 24/7 and be talking on it all the time. I leave my phone turned off or in 100% silent mode a great deal of the time when traveling.

It's pretty simple---if you don't want cell phone access, just turn your phone off. DUH.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
We were in the Smokies several years ago on one of the trails (don't recall the name right now) that is considered difficult. Girl in her twenties hiked to the top in flip flops and a cell phone to her ear most of the way (about a 40 minute hike). While on a wet, smooth, rock formation at the top of the trail, she slipped and hit her head. Phone went flying into a pool of water. There were about 20 others present, and they were able to call the Rangers and start assisting her back down. Doesn't prove a point either way as to a cell phone's importance; just an observation about something that seems all too common today.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
I'll bet emergency service personnel will be happy with the new cell service! Should make their jobs lots easier. That is unless people get more stupid and do more things that they shouldn't be doing while using the cell phones.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
westernrvparkowner wrote:
How far back should we roll technology? For some, the park sure would be nicer to visit if it wasn't for those "horseless carriages" people drive around.

:h

Good grief...from one extreme to another! Who's suggesting abandoning what's already there? Going out to the woods without a cell phone-or even, heaven forbid, without electricity- is hardly a return to the horse-and-buggy age.

The notion that there has to be cell phone coverage everywhere is in my opinion a symptom of the extreme dependency on the wired world that we've afflicted ourselves with over the last decade. And that's just for starters- how many folks' number one complaint about RV parks is poor Wi-Fi signals?

This great Social Change is thanks to us over-sixties, by the way...the most self-involved generation of Americans ever. No wonder they call us baby boomers.

I was going to agree with your original statement Francesca, but because cell availablility is there doens't mean someone has to use it. You can go to an RV resort and rough it by not plugging in to the electrical box or use the water.

But once again tonight (dang it), I have to agree with WRVPO.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

katleman
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a week in Yellowstone.

I don't mind the lack of cell coverage out in the park, but where there are the major visitor centers, they should have cell and wifi coverage. (Old faithful, Canyon, Grant, Mammoth)
Visted via RV

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
soos wrote:
I understand the concept of having cell service available for emergency purposes. My problem is that when I am hiking the beautiful trails of Yellowstone and wherever else, the last thing I want to hear is some one jabbering on their phone. I also don't like it when someone plays loud music while hiking on a remote trail. Yeah, its disturbing to others. I hike to get away from all that stuff.
Maybe I'm cranky. I also hate it when people talk on the phone in a public bathroom, while on the can. Hello???? Seriously, if people knew how to be considerate, it wouldn't be much of an issue, but we are all about what WE want.

Right on!! At this time you can even now get cell phone coverage around Fishing Bridge and other areas of Yellowstone. Yes, we have hiked in Yellowstone and other natural areas of our country where cell coverage was available (if you get up high you can get a signal) and to hear someone talking loudly, like most cell users do, is very inconsiderate. It is definitely not like carrying on a conversation with a hiking partner. Cell users talk loud! Again, people have become so accustomed to having a phone in their hand and constantly looking at it and worrying that every one of their 'friends' is forgetting about them for a second it is really hilarious to watch. Like someone stated, how did we geezers ever survive to this day when there were no cell phones? We used our heads and actually figured things out for ourselves.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand the concept of having cell service available for emergency purposes. My problem is that when I am hiking the beautiful trails of Yellowstone and wherever else, the last thing I want to hear is some one jabbering on their phone. I also don't like it when someone plays loud music while hiking on a remote trail. Yeah, its disturbing to others. I hike to get away from all that stuff.
Maybe I'm cranky. I also hate it when people talk on the phone in a public bathroom, while on the can. Hello???? Seriously, if people knew how to be considerate, it wouldn't be much of an issue, but we are all about what WE want.
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter/DW harassed me for years to get a cell since I had a heart attack in 02. I do a lot of hiking and golfing alone so I realize they were trying to protect me. After about 5 yrs of this I gave in and now have a fine cell phone that I take everywhere I go. I may use it once/twice a month to call DW and ask if I need to bring home a loaf of bread or something. Our grandson travels with us all summer long and he calls his Mom every night to stay in touch and tell her what we're up to so cells do come in handy for some. :B

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
How in world did people EVER get along before there were cellphones? Did they not go beyond sight of a payphone? Did they not have health issues before cellphones were available? Did they not drive their cars in the country unless a Trooper with a radio in his car was in sight?

It really is a pityfull sight seeing all of those people who cannot walk anywhere without the cellphone in hand. Checking, checking, checking, checking.

Yeah, it is nice to have cell service but if it is not there, well, too bad. It is not the end of the world & the world will continue to spin without you being connected to it for a few days.

As far as Yellowstone & Fishing Bridge area goes, well yes, they should have coverage. It is a congested area with business & mobile people. Cell towers don't always need to be hundreds of feet high. There is one in Grand Teton. You would hardly know it is there. The top of the tower with the antenna arrays barely pokes above the trees.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995